Author Topic: Could Someone Please Define a "HO"?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Could Someone Please Define a "HO"?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »
I like "cheap" kills.

"Cheap" kills IMO are the ones where you never even give the opposition a fair chance to scratch your paint. That puts HOing right out.

From the quote we can see that you prefer killing as appose to fighting. You say you'll fight if you have to, but in a game all about combat.... a big word that means fighting... you would rather avoid that notion just to get the kill.

Thats what your saying right? I on the other hand avoid the "HO". Not only does it keep me out of that "face shooting", it has a tendency to prolong the fight, and so the fun.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
Then you'll always be an easy kill.

You need to think out of the box.  You assume that I am referring to an HO.  What I am saying is that any time an nme aircraft places itself in my gun sight at a range that is within my desired range, I’m taking the shot, no matter what direction the nme is traveling in.  If it is directly in front of me and happens to be traveling at me, I may roll, yaw, climb or dive or turn, but I’m taking the shot.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
 :cry
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
From the quote we can see that you prefer killing as appose to fighting. You say you'll fight if you have to, but in a game all about combat.... a big word that means fighting... you would rather avoid that notion just to get the kill.

Thats what your saying right? I on the other hand avoid the "HO". Not only does it keep me out of that "face shooting", it has a tendency to prolong the fight, and so the fun.

:D Hoing is about the "fairest" chance to shoot you you can possibly give them. OTOH, if you duck the HO and turn right on their six, why, its almost murder...most of the time.

You like to prolong fights? You think this is a really good idea in a multi-bandit environment?
Do you also fire only the BBs and not the cannons to keep the fight going longer?

(Note: I think you're a pretty good guy, even if your tongue-in-cheek detector seems to be broken. :salute)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
:D Hoing is about the "fairest" chance to shoot you you can possibly give them. OTOH, if you duck the HO and turn right on their six, why, its almost murder...most of the time.

You like to prolong fights? You think this is a really good idea in a multi-bandit environment?
Do you also fire only the BBs and not the cannons to keep the fight going longer?

(Note: I think you're a pretty good guy, even if your tongue-in-cheek detector seems to be broken. :salute)

Maybe, maybe not. "Intent" is difficult to see in "text". My intent is to post in a way to show the new guys ....and some old guys...that HOin in any way is a cheap, no skill move/shot. Your post on the other hand seems to promote it. Its the only reason I posted.  <S>

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. "Intent" is difficult to see in "text". My intent is to post in a way to show the new guys ....and some old guys...that HOin in any way is a cheap, no skill move/shot. Your post on the other hand seems to promote it. Its the only reason I posted.  <S>

that's why most of my online time in the last couple months has been in the ta........no one ho's there. well...that and i suck.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »

You seem to be coming from the direction of  "HOing is bad and unsportsmanlike, mmmkay?" Which is an okay direction, don't get me wrong.  I tend to come more from the direction of "The most likely result of HOing is two morons finding themselves back in the tower."

Objectives: 1.Find enemy airplanes, shoot them down. 2. Avoid being shot 3. Return to base and laugh about it.

600mph closure rate+mutual exchange of cannon and HMG fire=immediate failure of objectives 2 and 3, 9 times out of 10.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
I was more refering to the DA and crap that goes on in there. In the MA's it's anything goes. Unless you've run into someone that your familiar with and you can give each other gentlemen's courtesy, then so be it, take whatever shot you feel necessary. You actually have an objective in the MA's. There is a time and a place for the HO shot for sure. Like when that obnoxious Zeke rolls into your ME110. By all means, blast away if the clown is dumb enough to go head to head with a monsterous cannon bird. I can understand certain HO shots in the MA but find it just plain pointless, stupid and juvenile in the DA. Why bother even going to the DA unless your going to practice your skills. HOing and Picking in the DA MAKES NO SENSE!!! I was haveing problems with people having weird definitions of "THE HO" and complaining that I was HOing when I clearly (to my perspective) was not. I love a good fight, nothing like it to improve your abilities. A HO shot just ruins an opportunity.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
I was haveing problems with people having weird definitions of "THE HO" and complaining that I was HOing when I clearly (to my perspective) was not. I love a good fight, nothing like it to improve your abilities. A HO shot just ruins an opportunity.

Indeed, if it is physically impossible for them to achieve a guns solution on you, it is certainly not a HO.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
If the other plane COULD have gotten guns on you, but chose to maneuver out of it, yet you chose to pursue it and shot, that could be considered a HO.

If only one plane has a potential gun solution it isn't a HO.

QFT but at the same time if you maneuver away from the head on too much and chop throttle you are setting up a very nice angle for yourself.  So just because you could have HO'd doesn't necessarily mean it was a HO in extreme cases.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
QFT but at the same time if you maneuver away from the head on too much and chop throttle you are setting up a very nice angle for yourself.  So just because you could have HO'd doesn't necessarily mean it was a HO in extreme cases.

i ho'd a guy last night. i was just about to rudder to slip off to the side, and i saw tracers. this was the second attempt on his part. he tried once, continued straight as i came 'round and couldn't cathc him. i kept him in sight though. he inned on another, then ran from that one too......headed my way, not trailing anyone. i started to ease pressure on the rudder, saw tracers.....said eff it.......let off the rudder, and sprayed the poop outta his stupid but, then dove under him.
 i was in a bit of a mood, as that was my 2nd or 3rd fight of the night, and my first night in the arenas in  somewhere around a month. the first one....well....he was sooooo intent on chasing a buddy, i closed up, and finished him fairly quickly. more to come.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
i ho'd a guy last night. i was just about to rudder to slip off to the side, and i saw tracers. this was the second attempt on his part. he tried once, continued straight as i came 'round and couldn't cathc him. i kept him in sight though. he inned on another, then ran from that one too......headed my way, not trailing anyone. i started to ease pressure on the rudder, saw tracers.....said eff it.......let off the rudder, and sprayed the poop outta his stupid but, then dove under him.
 i was in a bit of a mood, as that was my 2nd or 3rd fight of the night, and my first night in the arenas in  somewhere around a month. the first one....well....he was sooooo intent on chasing a buddy, i closed up, and finished him fairly quickly. more to come.

had my ride to mcguire show up in the middle of hte above post.

second fight....well it wasn't a fight either. it was a guy in an il2, who let me practice ren;s "bat" turn. i thinkn i did iit fairly well.....the guy never got more than 800 ahead of me. rather than turn to fight, he hit auto pile-it, and manned his rear gun. didn;t take much.

then i come upon the c2. he tried for the ho as mentioned....2x. on the second time is when i returned fire. it actually pissed me off more that i ho'd him, than it did that he tried it. i said on country that i didn;t care, and that he deserved it, but was pissed. i mean, c'mon? where's the fights? it was more fun tryin to bnz lazydog, and then later trying to pick him. at least he tried to fight, considering his situation at that point sucked bigtime. he was holding out well against a pair of zeeks and some sapp'er(  :D ) trying to pick him in his hurri.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »
well thanks cap it was fun   :salute

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
If you are lead turning so damn early I can see your plane from nose to tail, you better believe I am going to take the shot. To do otherwise would voluntarily surrender initial angles and (more often than not) the fight.

CAP ... read this and commit it to memory ... your HO angst will be reduced 10 fold.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
well thanks cap it was fun   :salute

just so ya know dude.....i wasn't trying to pick ya. i was bnz'ing you before those two zeeks came in,......and i wasn't going to try to turn my 38 with your hurricane.....i can't make that work.......yet. i also didn;t know it was you till you finally went down. there were 2 hurris there to start, and i picked the one that was closer to me. that just happened to be you.

it was actually kinda fun, except for my sucky gunnery, and flying, but then i haven;t been on in a month or so.

what i didnt care for too much though, was getting vulched on landing while i was blacked out. but...o well.......

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"