Author Topic: College Football  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: College Football
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »
  Maybe if your overrated, overhyped Heisman winners didn't keep looking average while losing to the SEC in National championship games I'd have a different opinion of the Big12 and it's amazing offenses.

LOL , I didn't realize they were mine. Colt was a doubtful winner even before yesterday's game, however that doesn't change my opinion of that he could be snubbed by voters simply because of who he plays for. The Horns may be my favorite college team, however being a college football fan I also love OU, Nebraska, and Colorado. I'm also a fan of the SEC. Alabama and Arkansas being my two favorites. I regularly cheer on SMU, TCU, and the USAF Academy. I just don't bad mouth any teams, conferences, or players. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of people like you though who claim to be debating when in fact all you do is insult college kids who are achieving things you personally cannot.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Ndamakong Suh for Heisman  :O
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
LOL , I didn't realize they were mine. Colt was a doubtful winner even before yesterday's game, however that doesn't change my opinion of that he could be snubbed by voters simply because of who he plays for. The Horns may be my favorite college team, however being a college football fan I also love OU, Nebraska, and Colorado. I'm also a fan of the SEC. Alabama and Arkansas being my two favorites. I regularly cheer on SMU, TCU, and the USAF Academy. I just don't bad mouth any teams, conferences, or players. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of people like you though who claim to be debating when in fact all you do is insult college kids who are achieving things you personally cannot.

Oh please.  Sports are debated. They wouldn't be any fun if they were not.  These guys are young adults playing a sport.   Talking about their performances negatively is not insulting them.

Also, you are wrong about Colt being a doubtful winner before yesterday's game.  Colt was a preseason frontrunner for the Heisman, maintained his hype all year, and may still win.  It was after yesterdays game that he lost a lot of hype.  I assume he will still be invited to New York for the ceremony as a finalist.

As far as achieving things in college footall that I did not?  You are absolutely correct.  I did not.  Nor did I claim I have.  Does that mean I can't have an opinion on a players performance in a sport on a level I have not played at?  I guess I need to go to the High School forum where all the other guys I qualify with are talking about high school games. Time to stop being critical of my favorite NFL teams too.  Dang, I can';t even talk about hockey.

Get over yourself.

Btw, your claiming that you get enjoyment from people that you compare me to says more about you than your high horse posturing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:14:56 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »

Get over yourself.

You should follow your own advice.  :lol

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
A popular topic of discussion among Pac-10 fans, among college football fans — is how their conference is doing against other conferences.

How about this: The Pac-10 is 11-8 against the SEC this decade.

(You know which team Pac-10 fans can thank? UCLA. That’s who. The gutty little Bruins swept home-and-home series this decade against the big, bad boys from Alabama and Tennessee.)

Anyway, this is relevant this week because Arizona State plays at No. 21 Georgia on Saturday, the final chance of the decade to see how the Pac-10 and the SEC compare.

Let’s look closer at that 11-8 record. By itself, that record doesn’t mean much.

I mean, if the Pac-10 had been favored by two touchdowns in every game, that would be a horrible record. So, let’s look at the point spreads.

The guys who set the betting lines try to get equal action on each side of the line and probably have been factoring in fans’ biases — SEC good, Pac-10 bad — when coming up with a point spread.

The Pac-10 has responded with a 12-6-1 record against the spread vs. the SEC, further fueling the notion that the SEC is overvalued and the Pac-10 underrated.

Furthermore …

*The Pac-10 has been favored to win only seven of the 19 matchups. It exceeded expectations by winning 11.

*Three times, the Pac-10 pulled off an upset when being an underdog of at least a touchdown — UCLA over Alabama in 2000, and UCLA over Tennessee in each of the past two seasons.

*On the flip side, the Pac-10 has been favored by at least a touchdown four times — and never faltered, winning each game.

This is not to say that the Pac-10 is a better football conference than the SEC. The SEC has more tradition, bigger stadiums, crazier fans, pays its coaches more — heck, it probably even pays its players more — and turns out the highest rate of NFL draftees.

But the head-to-head record shows the Pac-10 has nothing to apologize for, and adds to the belief that the league is unfairly underrated.

Pac-10 vs. SEC
Year Matchup Result Line
2000 No. 3 Alabama at UCLA UCLA, 35-24 Alabama -7
2001 No. 17 UCLA at No. 25 Alabama UCLA, 20-17 Alabama -2
2002 Auburn at No. 19 USC USC, 24-17 USC -7
2002 Mississippi State at No. 15 Oregon Oregon, 36-13 Oregon -13
2003 No. 13 LSU at Arizona LSU, 59-13 LSU -11
2003 No. 8 USC at No. 6 Auburn USC, 23-0 Auburn -3
2003 Oregon at Mississippi State Oregon, 42-34 Oregon -3
2004 Oregon State at No. 4 LSU LSU, 22-21 (OT) LSU -18
2005 No. 5 LSU at No. 15 Arizona State LSU, 35-31 ASU -1
2005 Arkansas at No. 1 USC USC, 70-17 USC -30
2006 Arizona at No. 8 LSU LSU, 45-3 LSU -15
2006 No. 9 Cal at No. 23 Tennessee Tennessee, 35-18 Cal -2
2006 No. 6 USC at Arkansas USC, 50-14 USC -7
2006 Washington St. at No. 4 Auburn Auburn, 40-14 Auburn -14
2007 No. 15 Tennessee at No. 12 Cal Cal, 45-31 Cal -6
2008 No. 18 Tennessee at UCLA UCLA, 27-24 (OT) Tennessee -7.5
2008 No. 3 Georgia at Arizona State Georgia, 27-10 Georgia -7
2009 No. 11 LSU at Washington LSU, 31-23 LSU -17.5
2009 UCLA at Tennessee UCLA, 19-15 Tennessee -8

But what about the college football conference bowl record for the just passed 2008 - 2009 bowl season? Here it is:
Pac-10: 5-0

SEC: 6-2

Big 12: 4-3

Big East: 4-2

ACC: 2-6

Big Ten: 1-6

WAC: 1-4

Mountain West: 3-2

Sun Belt: 1-1

How about all-time head to head SEC vs Other Conferences in bowl games?

Here you go (historical affiliation):

SEC Wins vs. SEC Losses vs. Ties SEC Win %
ACC           31     13              0 .705
Big Ten      34      21              0 .618
Big 12        15       9              0 .625
Southwest  32      26             3 .549
Pac-10        7       7              1 .500
Big East       6       6              0 .500
Big 8           13    19              1 .409
WAC             5      3              0 .625

So, head-to-head, all-time Conference vs Conference CFB bowl games -- the SEC beats every conference but three. And, two of those (Pac-10 and Big East) the SEC Ties. The only conference the SEC has lost more bowl games than one against is the Big-8 which doesn't exist any more.

How about SEC vs Other Conferences in bowl match-ups -- using current conference affiliation?

Here you go:

SEC     Wins vs. SEC Losses vs. Ties SEC Win %
 ACC       43           27               2      .611
 Big Ten   38          26                0     .594
 Big 12     41          48                3     .462
 Pac-10     9           8                 2     .526
 Big East    6          12                1     .342
 WAC        1            0                0    1.000

Well, SEC haters -- you finally have some stats to back you up. Based on current conference affiliation, the Big 12 and Big East both beat the SEC in all-time head to head bowl game match-ups. interesting when you do look into the whole who's conference is better than who's, stats dont lie

When you cut and pasted this last part from this website...  http://www.secsportsfan.com/top-college-football-bowl-conference.html  you left out a lot of stuff.   :aok

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »
it was all from that site. Lil to much for me to just type out, he res the end of the Article so you don't think I'm trying to hide it..

(But, all in all, when looking at all the stats on this page (and we cover them all) -- we surely have settled that the SEC is clearly the top college football bowl conference. Right?

To compare the head to head records (in all games) of the SEC vs the major college football conferences (and the Ivy League), there DMBear that's the rest lol

Even after reading all that the SEC is not as dominate as people think, and yes the Pac10 is under rated and USC is over rated as always, But why do they say the Pac10 with more titles than any other conference is the conference of Champions, this is ALL sports not just football.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:30:08 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
it was all from that site. Lil to much for me to just type out, he res the end of the Article so you don't think I'm trying to hide it..

(But, all in all, when looking at all the stats on this page (and we cover them all) -- we surely have settled that the SEC is clearly the top college football bowl conference. Right?

To compare the head to head records (in all games) of the SEC vs the major college football conferences (and the Ivy League), there DMBear that's the rest lol

Even after reading all that the SEC is not as dominate as people think, and yes the Pac10 is under rated and USC is over rated as always, But why do they say the Pac10 with more titles than any other conference is the conference of Champions, this is ALL sports not just football.

Anyone can click this link and see what you failed to post.  http://www.secsportsfan.com/top-college-football-bowl-conference.html  I don't know why you post tidbits and then laugh at me as if you have done something clever.

If winning the last 3 championships is not good enough to claim current dominance for the SEC I don't know what it would take.  Also, in those same 3 years the SEC Bowl record was also 6-2, 7-2, 6-3.

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »
The SEC only has played the Big Ten and Big 12 in the NCG, so how do we know they are better than the Pac-10 if they havent played them?

USC choked away their chance in 2006, lost to UCLA 13-9 in last game.
Oregon had injuries slow them down in 2007. You have to admit they probably would have won the NC if Dixon didnt get hurt.
USC blew it yet again in 2008, losing to Oregon State.

They have had their chances, but the depth of the conference has slowed the Pac-10 down.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:08:33 PM by Pannono »
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
Are you saying this because he plays for Bama or is in the SEC.  You do realize that Bama has NEVER had a Heisman winner.  Now if you are saying it because he plays for a team in the SEC then I completely agree. 

I am saying that because he is the best and most valuable player on the best team in the SEC. I do think that Alabama would still be SEC champs without him but they would have at least one loss. There was a stretch there when he carried the team offensively because he is that good and has an offensive line that is very good this year.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
LSU 31 Washington 23.

I feel this is all i need to prove my point.  That was a very closely contested game.  The thing is thought washinton finished 7th!!!!!!! in the PAC10.  Where as LSU is proably the 3rd best team in the SEC minus a bonehead coaching move.  The SEC is like many conferences, too top heavy.  THe PAC10 is more of a challenge week in and week out.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
Yeah me too, I want to see Colt get snubbed just like Vince did so he too has a month to simmer on it. The tide played an oustanding game against the Gators. Ingram, Mcelroy, and the Bama Defense were awesome. Now the media can go on and on feeding Texas haters for the next month about how Bama is going to beat the hell out of the Longhorns just like they did a few years ago when USC was going to destroy the Longhorns in the Rose Bowl.

(Image removed from quote.)

I loved how that one played out.  :aok

It is already quite the opposite from what I saw last night post SEC and Big12 games. The talking heads that I saw (ESPN in particular) were yammering about how Texas was the more complete team with more weapons and played a tough schedule...blah, blah, blah...
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
Also one more thing

PAC10 is bowls least year

5-0.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
Then it should go to Tebow because he is one of the best players of all time(even though I don't like him as a fan). Ingram put up some great numbers this year. More less in the SEC. This year SEC had the best talent. Next year it maybe the B12 Pac10 or ACC. But this year it has to be the SEC.

Once again the Heisman is awarded or should be awarded based on the play for that YEAR...not career.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
Once again the Heisman is awarded or should be awarded based on the play for that YEAR...not career.

If that was the case, it should be Keenum.
But the voters will never let a guy that plays for Houston with 5500 pass yds get the heisman.
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »
The SEC only has played the Big Ten and Big 12 in the NCG, so how do we know they are better than the Pac-10 if they havent played them?

USC choked away their chance in 2006, lost to UCLA 13-9 in last game.
Oregon had injuries slow them down in 2007. You have to admit they probably would have won the NC if Dixon didnt get hurt.
USC blew it yet again in 2008, losing to Oregon State.

They have had their chances, but the depth of the conference has slowed the Pac-10 down.

Can't argue that.  It'd be nice to see them play.  You can argue that the fact the Pac10 have been absent says something too.

Don't forget when Auburn went undefeated and didn't get to play USC.  That was the game they hung 55 on Choklahoma and won the Pac-10's only BCS championship.

USC has had as clear a path as any other team to the National Championship the last few years.  They've choked and missed out.  I guess they need to concentrate on those games.  Maybe thats part of the reason everyone says they are overrated.  They keep choking.

As far as Oregon.  I know injuries suck, but when LSU's QB was injured before the SEC championship game, the backup started and won the game because of its defense.  Injuries happen.

The SEC has been in and won 4 of the last 6 BCS NCGs,  I am sick of seeing Big10 and Big12 teams lose to us.  I'd love to see Bama play the best that the Pac10 has to offer this year.  Unfortunatley, Oregon couldn't score more than 8 on Boise St., and they let Stanford score 51 points on them.

Oregon is the 1st place team in the Pac-10, right?