Author Topic: game dynamic changed  (Read 4924 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: game dynamic changed
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
I agree with this one 100%. But doing it would register a huge WHINE from many in the game. It would get us closer to a true flight sim, which is what most seem to believe the game really is.

They are not that much harder to spot, HTC just gave them more cover to work with on the ground. Which ends up being irrelevant anyways, cause the bombs will go through the thickest of trees and blow ya up anyways.

As someone who does both ( gv's and flies)  but does neither very well,   personally I could care less what they do, or did to the wirble.  Like it or not, a good fight in the air, is no different on the ground, it's a good fight!!!!  

Example: An air base near water, you got cons coming in from a carrier dropping the town and with fighter support. It's all air to air, as the first thing dropped is the VH. Its all good and fun, till someone drops the carrier with lancs @ 3k. Fight is over  :(  .  You've all been there and know what I mean.

Example 2:  A gv fight, for a gv base. Its a blast, the same elements of the fight are all there, the out maneuvering, patience, SA, and gunnery.  I've seen them go on for an hour or more. Then come the bombers at low level. fight is over  :(

Some nights, I just don't feel like putting in the effort to fly, I'm waxed from my real job. I just want to play around, have some fun, and chew the fat with some of the guys in the squad, on country, and in the arena.  Other times I want to fly, the game allows me to do that ( it allows ALL of us to do that) .  This game is not perfect, it in all likely hood it never will be, but HTC is doing what they feel to be best, to make it as good as it can possibly be, with the info and numbers that are out there to work with.  We do not have real life test pilots, gunners, bombardiers, and gv drivers who can tell us, "yep that's exactly how it flew, drove, or shot in real life"  there is reference material, op manuals, tech specs, and some other stuff, after that its all up to computers and the people telling the computers how to make things in the game act the way they do.

There are many who disagree with how I look at this sim/game, but ya know in the end, its about fun, and a good time, with some realism thrown in. I have a real life and a real job, this is supposed to be fun, and for me it is  :x

:salute   To all, and especially HTC!  

I can only speak for my particular PC & not for yours it mattered not if the gv was under a tree or not before I still could see them very well. As an example I could go in to God mode in the soft gun & see a gv as it spawned & again I would know what it was from over 6K away now the gv has to just about be on base before I can find it using the soft gun in God mode.

I don't mind the change as I think now it is far more realistic.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
Normally people come in with bombers when they get killed over and over...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »
Before you can go there you have to answer how many wirbles were made.

Quote from: Spikes link
As a general question how many IL2's were equipped with the 37mm cannons?
[/quote

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
Your translation: Wrong.

As a general question how many IL2's were equipped with the 37mm cannons?

The better question is this: "How effective was the 37mm version in WWII?"   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »

I agree.   Don't forget about the less than 50 Ostwind's produced. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
LOL don't even go there about how many were produced, I absolutely HATE the 262 and 163 being deployed in the numbers that we find in the MA, the answer I got from the man himself was "this is a GAME using WWII vehicles".

That being the case I just take ANY change in that vein, its just a GAME they own it they make the decisions as to game play.  I get to decide if I will pay to play or not, it is quite simple actually :)
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
This is one of the most childish threads I've seen in quite a while. From both sides of the argument.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2009, 01:52:42 PM »

So, I gotta ask. How many wirbelwhines were made?   :t
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
So, I gotta ask. How many wirbelwhines were made?   :t

Between 87 and 105 were made, the exact number isn't quite known but thought to fall within that range.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Damn this thing made it far so fast.

If only around 100 were made then howcome other additions get rejected because not enough were made?
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
GV assualts on town are way too vunerable now without a greater number of ostie/wirb support.

They need a greater number of Ostie/wirb support because there is a greater number of airplanes when compared to tanks in Aces High.

I'm sure the Germans complained about the Allied fighter/bombers in the Falaise pocket and later in Belgium as well. Armor is supposed to move with air cover, not in spite of it.

edit: before you say that German Panzer were immune to fighter bombers, remember that even IF this was true, the supply trucks that followed behind were not.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:24:50 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
Hell, they were probably pissing and moaning about it since the war went south.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Madkow

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »
I wouldn't mind trading GVs for having sheep on the airfields.

Fungus
Kommando Nowotny                                                     
Since tour 90

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
Damn this thing made it far so fast.

If only around 100 were made then howcome other additions get rejected because not enough were made?

Do they? Or are you confusing player opinions (we don't need it, only XXX made) with HTC statements? You have an example?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
You know, you're absolutely right.  There are game mechanics, such as icons, that are not "historically accurate".  But, the game is designed to acheive fidelity with performance, both in the air and on the ground.  The aircraft have their "historically accurate" amounts of horsepower.  They roll at real-life rates.  They fly at the real-life speeds.  GV's roll at real-life speeds. 

The only "balancing" mechanism that exists in this game is ENY and the perk system.  Game balance is not achieved by nerfing or boosting a particular weapon system below or beyond its performance criteria.

You want to debate the reality of game mechanics, go ahead.  That's a different topic. 

Didn't know I was debating anything.   In my earlier post I was stating an opinion, and I placed that in bold so it was clear that it was my opinion.  

As for debating the game mechanics, how can they be historically accurate if there is no weather, specifically wind.  Did these planes fly in a vacuum in WWII?  I can think of a few more examples, but I think you get the idea.  I agree that HTC goes to great lengths to make the mechanics of the game as real as possible, and I for one am great full for that, but there is a line, at times, that needs to be crossed and icons is one of them.  I can also think of a few more examples other than icons, but again, I think you get my point.

I understand that they are needed to make the game playable, but they are not historically accurate.  So when one argues historically accurate, it still doesn't float.  The statement would be more accurate if one said attempts to achieve historical accuracy.

Let me make myself clear.  I don't want to deal with fuel mixtures and such while flying, so in my opinion I think these modifications are acceptable.  What I was attempting to say, and maybe I wasn't clear, don't pull the historical accurate card out to make your argument, when it really doesn't always apply to all aspects of this game.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook