Author Topic: the m3a1 "grease gun" for pilots after they bail out  (Read 3668 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: the m3a1 "grease gun" for pilots after they bail out
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »
to think the youth of today will be looking after us when we get old and feeble.  :( :old:
either that or you could call kingcobradude a politician dem or rep alike.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2010, 12:24:51 AM »
now, how do I do that ignore list?
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2010, 12:26:41 AM »
Kingcobradude, you might want to study up more. You're young yet, so you may not know that all bullets are different. Pistol bullets are often very weak In aces high they would be a mere fraction of the stopping power of "peashooter" 7mm guns on some early war planes.

The .45 caliber weapon is a larger diameter, but slower moving round. It was used because it imparts more energy/damage into a human as it enters them. This means it has much less penetration. They were point-blank weapons. More than once, a german soldier has run across a part of a battlefield and been shot at by Tommy guns with no effect. One kraut even found spent .45 rounds in his cuffs and pockets, and had some bruises where they hit.

They are never (repeat, NEVER) goin to damage a plane, a prop, anything on the planes in AH with any number of hits unless you're literally standing on top of one and he's not moving. Even then you only "might" hurt the pilot if you unload a clip. There is a reason the .45 is not used anymore in modern law enforcement.

That's totally ignoring the fact that it's foolish to pretend this ever happened in WW2. I won't spoil your fun, but I will say if you research Bf-109s and the tropical variants you might find a little more fuel to your fire. I just hope you absorb some knowledge in the process

;)
agreed totally except that the rifled .45 is a good weapon at range. (good) not great. the B.A.R. (hence the name) was exactly like this... still wouldnt use it against a plane though unless it was flying right at me and i needed to.
now, how do I do that ignore list?
ignore list? seriously cobra? time to realize you lost this one and move on mate
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
Yes im serious. and did anyone try to contact me over radio recently in Orange?
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
Look, your behaviour is earning you this animosity, the people on this forum are kind, decent people, just act like us, not arrogant. You insist that you are correct, yet provide no evidence, you wish to "ignore" us all, but we are not your enemies.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:33 AM »
BAR uses a 30-06 round much more devastating than a .45
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »
ok brown baron. But I did receive a radio message in orange at an inconvenient time

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »
Quote from: 321BAR link=topic=283009.msg3622624#msg3622624 date=126923/  Obviously not...5601
agreed totally except that the rifled .45 is a good weapon at range. (good) not great. the B.A.R. (hence the name) was exactly like this... still wouldnt use it against a plane though unless it was flying right at me and i needed to. ignore list? seriously cobra? time to realize you lost this one and move on mate

:uhoh

Do you even know what BAR stands for?  Any idea what ammunition the BAR fired?  Obviously not...

And what range, exactly, do YOU think the .45 pistol round is a good weapon?

I think I will stand by my earlier proclamation...  You are an idiot...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »
agreed totally except that the rifled .45 is a good weapon at range. (good) not great. the B.A.R. (hence the name) was exactly like this... still wouldnt use it against a plane though unless it was flying right at me and i needed to. ignore list? seriously cobra? time to realize you lost this one and move on mate

I have to agree with PFactorDave your knowledge of firearms is monumental. :headscratch: o.k. not really...  :noid
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2010, 05:26:58 AM »
I thought that the M3 was designed with tank crews in mind.
That's what I thought. I served in US Army, only ppl I saw with the "Grease Gun" was Tankers.
                                                                         <S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2010, 06:21:14 AM »
HEY THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!

HOW BOUT WE TAKE FALLOUT 3's PROGRAMMING AND GIVE BUFF BAILERS "FATMANS" SO THEY CAN LEVEL THE BASE WITHOUT HAVING BOMBS!!!!!

Th3Y R T3H L337 NUB5!!!!!

This has been an insight in how retardedly stupid this thread is, hope you all enjoyed it.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »
:uhoh

Do you even know what BAR stands for?  Any idea what ammunition the BAR fired?  Obviously not...

And what range, exactly, do YOU think the .45 pistol round is a good weapon?

I think I will stand by my earlier proclamation...  You are an idiot...
yup i was wrong in the caliber. noted by someone else above... and if you think I'M an idiot than you're an idiot yourself my friend... but it only had an effective range out to 1,500 yards. For a ranged weapon thats only good in my mind. I always had in the back of my mind that it was a .45 round. always forgot that the .45 was a pistol round only and never included rifled rounds. And what do you mean idk what MY OWN GAME NAME stands for? Browning Automatic Rifle obviously unlike what everyone in game THINKS my name is as just a bar..... and i still wouldnt use a BAR against a plane at this range so whats ur point? u trying to put me down or something? grow up and stop flaming and trolling in the BBS
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
HEY THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!

HOW BOUT WE TAKE FALLOUT 3's PROGRAMMING AND GIVE BUFF BAILERS "FATMANS" SO THEY CAN LEVEL THE BASE WITHOUT HAVING BOMBS!!!!!

Th3Y R T3H L337 NUB5!!!!!

This has been an insight in how retardedly stupid this thread is, hope you all enjoyed it.
YES! and maybe we can have super mutant behemoths also! :lol
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »
Na matter what kind of day im having, i can always count on this forum to put a big ol smile on my face.  Kingcobradude, you might want to change your name.... :uhoh :banana: :banana:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
agreed totally except that the rifled .45 is a good weapon at range. (good) not great. the B.A.R. (hence the name) was exactly like this... still wouldnt use it against a plane though unless it was flying right at me and i needed to.

the Grease Gun was an SMG... this means it is unrifled and therefore only effective within 100-500 feet give or take... let alone 500 YARDS out :lol

yup i was wrong in the caliber. noted by someone else above... and if you think I'M an idiot than you're an idiot yourself my friend... but it only had an effective range out to 1,500 yards. For a ranged weapon thats only good in my mind. I always had in the back of my mind that it was a .45 round. always forgot that the .45 was a pistol round only and never included rifled rounds. And what do you mean idk what MY OWN GAME NAME stands for? Browning Automatic Rifle obviously unlike what everyone in game THINKS my name is as just a bar..... and i still wouldnt use a BAR against a plane at this range so whats ur point? u trying to put me down or something? grow up and stop flaming and trolling in the BBS
No offense 321BAR but...sshhhhh...just those 3 posts show you know less about weapons than I know about aeronautical engineering...and I know enough about aeronautical engineering to ask questions, not try and state any facts.

Just so you have the correct information...all 20th century small arms used by military forces had rifled barrels...that includes the sub machine guns but does not include the basic shotgun...the .45ACP started out as a pistol round but as illustrated by the devastating capabilities of the Thompson Sub Machine gun, it could reach out and destroy things at longer ranges than a pistol.
The BAR caliber 30.06 had a combat effective range of approximately 400 yards, not 1500...even though it could hit at long range, accuracy suffered...considering they used the .30 Browning machine gun in and against aircraft, what makes you think they would'nt use the more powerful BAR when necessary?

And a 45, fired from a pistol or SMG is really only accurate to about 50 yards (at best) effectively...  The longer barrel of the M3 offers very little if any accuracy beyond standard pistol ranges...
Not quite true...the M3 had an effective combat range of 100 yards...spray and pray mind you but still farther than the 50 yards of a 4 inch barreled pistol...and I've fired a 6 inch barreled .45 pistol accurately at 75 yards in competition.

i got all my facts for the gun off of other websites and 2 or 3 of my small arms books
You need to read your sources again...in WWII the M3 was never ever issued to fighter pilots...if at any point a fighter pilot had one, it was an anectdotal incident, not standard military issue...it started out issued to MPs in rear guard positions then went on to be issued to tank crews on the front lines...then basic front line infantry by the Korean war.

The .45 caliber weapon is a larger diameter, but slower moving round. It was used because it imparts more energy/damage into a human as it enters them. This means it has much less penetration. They were point-blank weapons. More than once, a german soldier has run across a part of a battlefield and been shot at by Tommy guns with no effect. One kraut even found spent .45 rounds in his cuffs and pockets, and had some bruises where they hit.

They are never (repeat, NEVER) goin to damage a plane, a prop, anything on the planes in AH with any number of hits unless you're literally standing on top of one and he's not moving. Even then you only "might" hurt the pilot if you unload a clip. There is a reason the .45 is not used anymore in modern law enforcement.
Krusty is correct in most part. The .45ACP was developed to replace the .38special for combat sidearms because the .38 proved to be very ineffective...the .45ACP travels at roughly 800 feet per second, which is close to the velocity of the .38 special but it carries more energy upon impact...aka knockdown power...and it is capable of traveling through the human body even if it hits bone...the effective range is only about 50 yards when fired from a pistol, even though it is deadly to 200 yards ...when fired from a sub machine gun it's effective to about 150 yards. What Krusty failed to note in his anecdote of the German soldiers is that the ranges those German soldiers were hit with was nearly 300 yards...and the same effect occurred with the German MP40s firing 9mm Parabellum...the .45ACP was phased out in most (not all) law enforcement agencies due to much more than just the effective range of the bullets...9mm ACP was chosen due to increased bullet capacity and higher velocity with increased damage upon impact yet sacrificing knock down power and range...others decided to use the .40S&W because it is in between the 9mm and .45, higher velocity and equal knock down power...the .45ACP is still used by some.

I know, Krusty, keep it simple just so it doesn't go over the heads of the unknowing but...  :confused:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:32:42 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett