Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7154 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
IMO the "better pilots" tend to get into the J more often...don't know why. The L is used 90% of the time as a bomb truck. As the hog is (I said it in another thread) the 38 is easy to fly but hard to master.
The Hog I wouldnt say is hard to "master" but the 38 is if you dont fly timid.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
Well IMO, it isn't. Check the post Ghost quoted and the posts after that.

Even if it would be as you say (and it isn't), there still wouldn't be anything wrong with what Ghost says. His personal opinion is allowed to differ from that of Trainer Corps.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
The Hog I wouldnt say is hard to "master" but the 38 is if you dont fly timid.
You may be getting "flying the 38 to it's unique advantages" and "timid" mixed up. Rarely would you see a 38 turning with a Zero, unless it's Dan or someone. :) But using it's slashing attacks and verticals, counter rotating props to it's advantages is what 99% of the guys I know, do. Me I suck at it anyway but I try...

I don't know much about the hog except they eat my 234's 20mms nicely heheh. Those hover flaps get damn annoying in the vert with a hog. But I love it when they deploy the flaps when I am on the guy's six.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MoJoRiZn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
You are so shadeilicious

will the real slim shadey please stand up!

I kinda want to know who this guy is. Then I want to see a film of me doing anything I just said. After that we can meet up right now in the DA if they have time. :devil

I am mojorizn, I came back last month. I was here around 5 years ago. I have no film, only what people have said online when I asked about you except you was flying as a girl? Jenny!  I can try and meet you online in the DA sometime this day
"Well, I woke up this morning, and got myself a beer
the future's uncertain, and the end is always near     Let it roll"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
But you try to win that fight, don't you?

Absolutely, and I agree with you, that if Kazaa defines that as timid, I strongly disagree with him.

My point was that I don't shy from a fight, nor do I refrain from getting my hands dirty and scraping with 4 or more cons at once because I don't think I will win and that a 'timid' person would.

I guess I should say, being timid is when you shy away from fights because you don't have some large advantage.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Im not fishing that hard. This is a personal thing right? I dont care if a Con has 10K alt on me Im going to fly below him, If he comes in on me Im saying "GREAT" 9 times out of 10 he will be running from me in acouple of passes. No offense, I know you HO and bnz and all that....your flying to me may be very timid but its your choice...Ill give you crap on 200 but in the end its your own flying
Actually, I will do whatever I can with whatever situation comes along...if I have alt, I'm diving in doesn't matter how many cons are in the area...if I'm low and slow, I'm running at least long enough to be able to fight on equal terms...if a friendly asks if I need help, they get informed that it's open season...if my plane is shot up or I'm low ammo or gas, I'm running back to a friendly base...and it's an extremely rare occasion that you will see me in anything but a 20 or 30 ENY plane.

Doesn't matter how much crap you give me on 200...  :neener:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
Even if it would be as you say (and it isn't), there still wouldn't be anything wrong with what Ghost says. His personal opinion is allowed to differ from that of Trainer Corps.

I'd like to hear your opinion why "it isn't"?
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »
less Timidity and more Temerity I say!

HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
Like I said in the original post, I often run if the guy's co-E on my six in something that turns better than I do.  Call that timid if you like, I call it either 'flying to the strengths of my airframe' or 'admitting defeat'. 

I call is "suckage"  :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »
Skyrock told me once that he'd rather have a con behind him then in front. It took me a long time to figure out what he meant. The overshoot is a thing a beauty. Especially if they can out turn you.  :rock
Lighten up Francis

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Two concepts to clairify about this game to understand TIMID.

1. This is a game and a flight simulator in which no one dies.
2. Game definition of deing = LOOSING

Point (1.) has allowed a subset group of very talented computer simulation game players to push the theoretical limits of computer simulated WW2 aircraft in simulated combat beyond what MOST real WW2 pilots were willing to do because the price was their single REAL life. Unlimited Lives = Unlimited Opportunities for Skills Development = Grizz.

Point (2.) demonstrates the core of human nature is an aversion to LOOSING. WE ALL HATE TO LOOSE. Clinically its a very healty manifistation of our Fight or Flight response. Because we fear death we fear LOOSING. How each individual expresses a social response to LOOSING in this game then becomes a measure of their personal coping mechanism to the fear of loosing and FEAR in general.

Here is a way to understand why only a few in Aces High are as talented as Grizz, a third are solid good sticks and the rest run the gamut of fair weather players to pure cowardess. The Army performed a study to understand how and why soldiers react in combat. They found at Gettysburg a very common issue. Muskets that had been loaded up to 9 times and never fired. Reports of soldiers who would reload and hand their musket to a small number of soldiers who had no problem mowing down the enemy. Soldiers who would close their eyes every time they fired at another human being. And that third of solid soldiers who performed their duties as needed. This personality formula held true from Bunker Hill through Viet Nam.

Most humans do not handle fear very well, and in the heat of the moment during a combat immersion simulator we get what we pay for. A real response to fake stimulus by our older animal brain. Thus you get questions and contrversy about TIMID game play. The historical solution to poor fear response has been to publicly shame the individual. One of the Army's solutions eventualy was better training.

Horses and water come to mind about now because the definition of winning for some in this game is complained about as TIMID by the more talented. As long as you have an anonymous Internet, Public shaming is a WIN for the anonymous target of your indignation. After all HiTech did say this game is about pissing off the other guy. He never defined HOW............
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
Skyrock told me once that he'd rather have a con behind him then in front. It took me a long time to figure out what he meant. The overshoot is a thing a beauty. Especially if they can out turn you.  :rock
Sometimes you have to give them a shot to get yours. :)
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
I often run if the guy's co-E on my six in something that turns better than I do. 
Wiley.

Well there's more to a fight than turning. If you are Co-E and can get enough separation to turn around, you should at least go after the guy to find out if you can beat him. That doesn't mean you have to give him a kill if you can't get guns on him, but at the least you should reverse and see what he's made of. Even in my turd of a plane(51D) I'll reverse and see if I can beat a better turner(most planes). Some of the fight is up to pilot skill.
If it's clear his better turner/climber is going to defeat my dog, I'll extricate myself from the mess(feel free to call me a runner) and usually try again. Sometimes I fail and get keeled. Sometimes I win though!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Two concepts to clairify about this game to understand TIMID.

1. This is a game and a flight simulator in which no one dies.
2. Game definition of deing = LOOSING

Point (1.) has allowed a subset group of very talented computer simulation game players to push the theoretical limits of computer simulated WW2 aircraft in simulated combat beyond what MOST real WW2 pilots were willing to do because the price was their single REAL life. Unlimited Lives = Unlimited Opportunities for Skills Development = Grizz.

Point (2.) demonstrates the core of human nature is an aversion to LOOSING. WE ALL HATE TO LOOSE. Clinically its a very healty manifistation of our Fight or Flight response. Because we fear death we fear LOOSING. How each individual expresses a social response to LOOSING in this game then becomes a measure of their personal coping mechanism to the fear of loosing and FEAR in general.

Here is a way to understand why only a few in Aces High are as talented as Grizz, a third are solid good sticks and the rest run the gamut of fair weather players to pure cowardess. The Army performed a study to understand how and why soldiers react in combat. They found at Gettysburg a very common issue. Muskets that had been loaded up to 9 times and never fired. Reports of soldiers who would reload and hand their musket to a small number of soldiers who had no problem mowing down the enemy. Soldiers who would close their eyes every time they fired at another human being. And that third of solid soldiers who performed their duties as needed. This personality formula held true from Bunker Hill through Viet Nam.

Most humans do not handle fear very well, and in the heat of the moment during a combat immersion simulator we get what we pay for. A real response to fake stimulus by our older animal brain. Thus you get questions and contrversy about TIMID game play. The historical solution to poor fear response has been to publicly shame the individual. One of the Army's solutions eventualy was better training.

Horses and water come to mind about now because the definition of winning for some in this game is complained about as TIMID by the more talented. As long as you have an anonymous Internet, Public shaming is a WIN for the anonymous target of your indignation. After all HiTech did say this game is about pissing off the other guy. He never defined HOW............

Sure, my adrenalin goes up and thats what makes it fun, but by no means am I scared or do I sense any extreme form of fear. Are people actually scared by the game? I can understand peoples responses in real war, but I have never felt like my RL life was in danger and if I did, I wouldn't play the game... '

Better stated, are people that afraid of loosing that they refuse to loose to learn?

Isn't that what life is all about, learning from your mistakes and growing?

or is it just dweeby ego bs... aka, my ego is greater than my skills so I'm just going to be lame and beat my chest over nothing... look at me, I have a high k/d, (because I don't take any risks).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:41:35 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
I'd like to hear your opinion why "it isn't"?

Because it's just his opinion about a very abstract term. There's nothing wrong or right about it.