Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
Erm... well... uh...  :huh

Truthfully?  I'm more apt to run if the guy is co-E than if he's got speed on me.  I have more confidence in my BnZ defense than my co-E defense.  :joystick:

I think I might've been in or near that group you were talking about last night, thought I saw your name once or twice.  Fun fights the two or three times it was even.  :salute

Like I said in the original post, I often run if the guy's co-E on my six in something that turns better than I do.  Call that timid if you like, I call it either 'flying to the strengths of my airframe' or 'admitting defeat'.  :neener:

Wiley.

Wiley,
instead of running, turn to the right, drop a notch of flaps, and as soon as the guy on your 6 pulls lead for a shot, pull up, snap roll the plane to the left, and press the trigger. With a little practice, you'll be baiting people to get on your 6.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
If it's clear his better turner/climber is going to defeat my dog, I'll extricate myself from the mess(feel free to call me a runner) and usually try again.

That's pretty much the point I was making, just giving a specific example.  I tend to fly P47, C205 (why yes, I do compensate for my gunnery with big guns!), Corsairs, and so on.  I don't tend to fly planes that are particularly good turners all that much.

I completely agree that if you can't beat the plane you can often beet the pilot, but reference Bipolar's comment on 'suckage', and well, there you have it. :joystick:

I did get the drop on a couple 109Fs that were on the deck on my six running my 47D11 down, and it did feel damn good, but realistically I shouldn't have expected to get away with turning with them.  I think the surprise of going for the overshoot and dumping my E threw them. <g>

Ardy- I have been gradually getting the 'touch' to low speed fight in the stuff I fly.  My problem is, part of the fun for me is flying different planes, so I don't spend long periods of time in one airframe learning its intricacies.  People who talk about 'spending a tour in the P38' or things along that line are mindboggling to me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
Ardy- I have been gradually getting the 'touch' to low speed fight in the stuff I fly.  My problem is, part of the fun for me is flying different planes, so I don't spend long periods of time in one airframe learning its intricacies.  People who talk about 'spending a tour in the P38' or things along that line are mindboggling to me.

Wiley.

What I was describing was a move you can do in any plane, hell I even saw Juggler doing it in a ju88 in TT several weeks ago.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »
What I was describing was a move you can do in any plane, hell I even saw Juggler doing it in a ju88 in TT several weeks ago.

I fought Juggler a time or three,  he's exceptional.   :)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
I'll fiddle with it if the opportunity arises, and it will...  :D :salute

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
I fought Juggler a time or three,  he's exceptional.   :)
Are you sure you not confusing him with Juggalo? Now that guy was exceptional  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Because it's just his opinion about a very abstract term. There's nothing wrong or right about it.

Heh, ok. :) You somewhat missed the whole thing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, just a general comment...in my opinion, anyone can have whatever thoughts about someones flying habits but the moment they start whining about them they are out of line as its none of their business.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
will the real slim shadey please stand up!

I am mojorizn, I came back last month. I was here around 5 years ago. I have no film, only what people have said online when I asked about you except you was flying as a girl? Jenny!  I can try and meet you online in the DA sometime this day
Well troll Im back to JunkyII, and who do you ask about my flying?

:noid

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
When you're at an advantage with #'s adv. even, but still run.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
You may be getting "flying the 38 to it's unique advantages" and "timid" mixed up. Rarely would you see a 38 turning with a Zero, unless it's Dan or someone. :) But using it's slashing attacks and verticals, counter rotating props to it's advantages is what 99% of the guys I know, do. Me I suck at it anyway but I try...

I don't know much about the hog except they eat my 234's 20mms nicely heheh. Those hover flaps get damn annoying in the vert with a hog. But I love it when they deploy the flaps when I am on the guy's six.
90% of the people who fly 38s you probably dont know :aok Whenever I fight a 38, its a name I either reconize which is normally either a good fight or the headhunters are winging up again. Or its someone like VNE who just keeps his advantage over the fight just to get high K/D ratio.....no skill in that....just timid flying
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
If I see a lone enemy con I will engage.I usually lose.I use my eyesight,being old and feeble,can't hit my butt with both hands,and just plain going downhill fast.It will happen to everyone someday.I will enter a fight to help a squaddie,fellow knight,or I will stay out if they call me off.I will never leave a friend to die to a horde.I went into a horde trying to help a fellow country man,w/o ammo the other day.We both died...no big deal.I will not engage a horde all by myself,that is stupid.If I can pick someone,I will.I don't consider myself timid.If I'm fighting some one and I'm losing I will flee.That's my take on timidness.Been flying sims a long time.I don't usually mess with "buffs",without a couple of helpers."Buffs" have an unfair advantage,but it's been that way as long as I can remember.When it comes to "HO's",I'm timid.I lose everytime.I wish they had the Air Warrior no collision,low % of "HO" shots connecting.The collision model is probably the worst problem that this sim has,but you can't have everything.That's all I have to say.Long live Air Warrior FR!!!
Dobe

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
.I will not engage a horde all by myself,that is stupid.
Dobe

Really? I like to take it one step further and up at fields that are almost capped and fight on the deck against overwhelming odds. I probably will not survive but its intense and its great defensive ACM practice. I'm not sure how loosing is stupid, you get a brand new shiny factory fresh plane because of it and you get better much faster.  :banana:
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
Really? I like to take it one step further and up at fields that are almost capped and fight on the deck against overwhelming odds. I probably will not survive but its intense and its great defensive ACM practice. I'm not sure how loosing is stupid, you get a brand new shiny factory fresh plane because of it and you get better much faster.  :banana:

Thanks for telling us; we were waiting so intently to hear of your bravery in the cartoon skies!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
Things that will make me think someone is timid.....

1. primary way of fighting is BNZ
2. running
3. going for an injured palne that is RTB
4.(this is for people on same side) Seeing a con higher then you and turning back around to get alt on them
5. HOing
6. Most every person in a F4U or P38

Only one of the points you listed (#2) is only really relevent to being timid.  Some planes are condusive to fight a certain way.  A FW 190D-9 is suited for BnZ and Energy Fighting and not Angles Fighting.  So, you're basically saying that if you don't turn, you're timid and that is a rather broad and inaccurate statement.  I would suggest the problem with most that BnZ is that they don't know how to do it properly, which leads to cries of being timid.  Someone that knows how to properly BnZ can easily manage and triumph in a multi-vs. one engagement. I would hardly call someone like that timid.  YMMV.

Going for plane that is injured or RTB isn't timid, the attack has no way to know if the guy is bingo or not and if the guy that is damaged or trying to RTB is caught in the area of battle, he's fair game.  

If you see a con that is higher and you're able to grab long enough to get coalt, how is this being timid?  Or are you trying to say that anyone that does not fight at a disadvantage is timid?  No offense but I've seen you many times grab outside of a furball so you can be either co-alt or higher than the attackers.

Someone that HO's isn't an indicator that someone is timid, it's just an indicator that you may be facing someone that doesn't know how to fight or have a good grasp of ACM.

Your last point is really funny.  The same could be said of anyone that flies a Bf 109K-4, P-51D or any other number of aircraft in the game.  Your last point is just another of those idiotic "I fly a man's plane, you don't, so you're timid" comments, like giving someone crap for flying a Spitfire.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it's since time immortal, timid has usually been reserved for someone that doesn't fight at all and will only engage if there is absolutely zero risk of danger when they do.  It's not from how someone fights, you can be an E fighter and still be very aggressive and the opposite is true, you can be an Angles fighter and be extremely timid.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
Thanks for telling us; we were waiting so intently to hear of your bravery in the cartoon skies!
:rofl :rofl
I'm sorry, I didn't intend on coming off that way, I was just trying to offer how dieing and taking enormous risk can be benifitial rather than detrimental in the long run to ones skills. How being timid does not help you.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)