Author Topic: Individual Sounds in Update  (Read 11078 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: Individual Sounds in Update
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:11 AM »
had to pack in GVing as its given me a blinding headache because its

(Image removed from quote.)

I'll second that One... :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2010, 02:40:27 AM »
It'd be nice to squelch the base under attack woman. I got her turned down to a manageable level though so no biggie.

The other sounds are great. I like the new gun sight, now only if I could learn to hit what I'm aiming at. The town looks good I may try some Gv'ing tomorrow night in one.

You did good HTC staff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:49:52 AM by wgmount »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Ok here is a zip file that has the three most requested (complained about) sounds at a much quieter level.

• Stall Horn
  • Base Warning
  • Air Raid

Just extract the .wav files and place in the sounds folder.

http://332nd.org/dogs/baumer/BBS%20Stuff/NewSounds/quietSFx.zip

+10   :aok

Thank you sir.  I agree too, with your assessment of giving time for this to shake out.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2010, 03:18:44 AM »
Can you just delete the sounds from the sounds folder? :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2010, 03:47:09 AM »
Just finished playing for about 3 hours fiddling with sound settings and this is what I learned. I hate the new sound setup. You have taken one giant leap in the "this game isn't enjoyable" direction.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline theNewB

• Copper Member
      • http://www.greatergermany.net
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
HTC,

Customisation is one of Aces High's greatest features. Removing the individual sound controls is just not acceptable to me as I'm one of the many players who use a custom sound pack. For best results some sounds need to be tweaked in game, for example:

•   I like to lower the volume of my engine to hear people speak on vent and hear myself think.
•   I like raise the volume of my flaps so I can hear them clearly instead of taking my eyes of the enemy to look at a dial.
•   Gun quality can be really poor when amplified to much, tweaking is needed.
•   I like to raise the volume of my stall and buffet for obvious reasons.

So you're telling me I have to go through all my custom sounds and edit them outside of game for best results or use the offical Aces High sounds which are crap.

"Worse change of all time, of all time."

I agree, I love everything that has changed BUT the sound.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
Just finished playing for about 3 hours fiddling with sound settings and this is what I learned. I hate the new sound setup. You have taken one giant leap in the "this game isn't enjoyable" direction.

How many times have you thought that with every update they've had?  One has to wonder if guys like you have absolutely no patience.

Am I the only one to remember the horror so many people had when HTC updated the graphics???  This too will be tweaked and this too will pass and this too will be a very positive thing. 

Patience is virtue.    :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
OK how do I muzzle the air raid siren?

Create an empty (soundless) sound file ... name it airraid.wav ... copy that file to the \sounds folder. Do the same thing for the warning.wav file and you won't hear the chick piping in anymore. This was the first thing I did last night and all was well with those 2 pain in the arse sounds. Those 2 sounds may have been helpful back in the day when we had a hundred or so people online and the maps were smaller, but I don't see how they apply to today's game.

The \sounds folder that everyone is finding with the "empty" file ... that was/is the root directory for all sounds. Off that directory, are the individual sounds directories for each of the different plane/vehicles we have in-game.

Download some of the soundpacks ... they may have the older sounds in the root \sounds directory and you can then find what you need to change.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Vapor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
I think the sounds more rich, and I'm looking forward to more developments. I did have some volume issues but just turned it down. My frame rates actually improved a little certainly did not decrease. The stock sound effect quality improved for me. Great improvement with a little familiarization.
 :aok

Lt. Vapor
VF-17 Jolly Rogers
AH Tour 115 start

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
Can you just delete the sounds from the sounds folder? :old:

No, because missing sound files will revert to the default.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
thanks Baumer
S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
I for one need a quick guide to messing w/ game sounds.

Don't need a ton o' detail I just not messed w/ 'em for years and years.

I need to know where to place/get the sounds I want to drop the level on or use the blank for.
(location, file structure, etc...)

Sound is a HUGE part of my game and over the years I have mine tweaked just how I like it.  If that means spending a few hours messing with sound files so be it.  I like others just wish you'd kept the sliders in there.

Mr. Partyline just got something from HiTech HE doesn't like.  Let's all pay attention now.  And of course, no sarcasim please.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
I've noticed many people deriding turning down your own sounds as "cheating"; as if the only reason would be to hear enemy vehicles or planes better.  First off, if your engine is running didn't it mask, i.e. turn down the volume, of outside sounds anyway, even if your engine volume was zero?  Second: your hearing can be damaged not only by short exposure to very loud sounds, but also by very long exposure to somewhat loud sounds.  That is the reason I had my engine turned down: so I wouldn't get gradual hearing loss in certain frequencies from countless hours of listening to the loud drone of my own engine.

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
I don't think this sound system is making things worse in any way. Heck, this is a simulator and being allowed to hear other tanks/aircraft while you don't hear yours is just silly. We cannot be allowed to fine tune every existing sounds in the game... we are not admins and no game designers. We were too lucky to have such a luxury and now, we are back to reality. So stop acting like crybabies and enjoy the update.

Right now, everything is much more immersive and realistic. Makes us appreciate the power of our engines. The annoying sounds are gone and its hard to find necessary tweaks EXCEPT for the VOX. Pilots have headsets on, so every external sounds should be toned down (works the same way as turning the Master slider down (VOX is not affected by it it seems)) and VOX given priority (or an Obvious sound control).

Can't wait for the new sounds to come in. Thanks a lot for the update HT.  :aok
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:09:31 PM by Lepape2 »
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Sir Pyro,

Might I suggest a "computer illiterate" level set of instructions on the AH II Main Page for setting certain sounds to null?  (You know, "See a step, Do a step, Get a banana" level)

- I don’t expect my computer programming friends to understand real ACM, WEZ management, etc., and I don’t think we ought to expect the average gamer to be a computer Geek.

FWIW:  After playing the new system for only 2 hours, I think I'd rate this new sound system as a 2 on a 10 scale.  However, I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Not sure what the purpose of this improvement was (I'm not buying the 'Other games don’t have the old level of controls' as a good argument--other games don’t have many of the aspects that AHII does--thats why we play your game and not theirs).  So far, I'm not seeing it as a game enrichment.

Also, I had 2 White Screens of Death during those 2 hours.

Any ideas or clues that we can use to minimize those?

-Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE