Author Topic: Individual Sounds in Update  (Read 11068 times)

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Re: Individual Sounds in Update
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
Being an old  :old: head and having been thru every update since the Open Beta, this seems to be a move to upgrade the system and player expectations. I am certain there are bigger and better things to come!!

I used to have the Mitsu Sound pack. I haven't change to it since the sounds were adequate.

After a few sorties at default, I went in and turned all the sliders except Voice down nearly 50% and I am comfortable with that level. It was clean and simple and I am ok with it.

Every time there is an update, there are patches. And in a really really short time. Air Warrior took months for them to fix stuff. (two weeks logic)

I'd like better accessibility, but won't worry about it if I don't get it!!

:rock

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
Ty. Now I gotta buy some new speakers to utilize this new stuff. :)

From day one I had to turn down everything to 50% in order to hear vox as I had it maxed and it wasn't loud enough to hear people talking.

Same speakers.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
To get rid of any doubt in your mind, copy and paste the Settings folder in a safe location and then install the update and then just paste the Settings folder back into your AH root directory.  But to answer your question the update should not in anyway modify your stick settings.

ack-ack

Just what I did Ack Ack but it came across flawlessly.  Still scraping the rusty memory off. 

As far as the sound I just turned my effects volume down and it didn't seem that bad to me but I'm somewhat easily pleased and happy so long as the pointy end goes where I want it to and my landing to takeoff ratio stays above 50%.  I'm sure the custom sound guys will have something out there soon that will make most people happy. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
got a headache and had to stop after 45 mins...grrrr
this is meant to be fun
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
The main benefit to using the Miles Sound System is that it takes less resources and doesn't burden lower end systems with low end sound cards or onboard sound.  Those with older systems using low end sound cards or onboard sound should see some small performance improvement over the old sound system.  Another reason to use the Miles Sound System is that it offers a viable software acceleration solution for those that don't have hardware accelerated sound cards, this means that those with lower end systems and those with onboard sound will be able to enjoy the same benefits of using a hardware accelerated sound card.  It also allows easy updating and adding of new sounds to the game.

It really is a beneficial addition to the game, despite the inconvenience of no longer being able to set individual sounds.

ack-ack

Thanks for the info.  Would be nice to have a seperate "engine sound" and "gun sound" slider.  Grouping those in with flaps and gear make the latter hard to hear unless the former are uncomfortably loud.  Guess I'll be learning to use a mixing board.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »
That's one thing I don't like about the new sound system, the inability to adjust the individual sounds like in the previous version. 

ack-ack

Best thing about it.
No more turning your sounds down and everyone elses up. Very gamey particularly in GVs

Had more people ran the test versions that were up for a while. everyone would know this was comming.

I say  :aok :aok
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
I'll reserve my comment until I get to play with the new system, however, I'm greatly concerned over how the 2 and 4 engine bombers sound. The B17's at full volume are deafening with those engines running so I had to cut my engine sounds waaaay back. I'm scared that in order to tolerate the B17's engines I won't be able to hear anything else.  
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
Best thing about it.
No more turning your sounds down and everyone elses up. Very gamey particularly in GVs

Had more people ran the test versions that were up for a while. everyone would know this was comming.

By making custom sounds (or installing blank sounds for your GV), the huge problem of gaming the game with sounds will not be eliminated.
Some people don't like their ears getting blasted in the name of realism.  Just because I knew it was coming doesn't mean I now have to like it.  :rolleyes:

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »
The main benefit to using the Miles Sound System is that it takes less resources and doesn't burden lower end systems with low end sound cards or onboard sound.  Those with older systems using low end sound cards or onboard sound should see some small performance improvement over the old sound system.  Another reason to use the Miles Sound System is that it offers a viable software acceleration solution for those that don't have hardware accelerated sound cards, this means that those with lower end systems and those with onboard sound will be able to enjoy the same benefits of using a hardware accelerated sound card.  It also allows easy updating and adding of new sounds to the game.

It really is a beneficial addition to the game, despite the inconvenience of no longer being able to set individual sounds.

ack-ack

My only problem with the Miles system is in all the previous releases of its system in the game gutted the VoX quality and I couldn't stand it.  My attitude is either provide an ingame VoX quality that is as good as those offered by standalone VoX programs or just gut it out of the game completely because it's a waste of resources in the game.  Still can't wait to get home and test this patch out, looking forward to the steps forward in the game development.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
When I was in the Navy, there was this wonderful saying: "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". Thumbs down from me on the new sound. :bolt:
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »
By making custom sounds (or installing blank sounds for your GV), the huge problem of gaming the game with sounds will not be eliminated.
Some people don't like their ears getting blasted in the name of realism.  Just because I knew it was coming doesn't mean I now have to like it.  :rolleyes:

Yeah.  You're right.  You can't turn the volume down on any group of effects.

Wait--A--Sec....

Yes, you can turn down volumes.

Hmmmm....

:headscratch:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
When I was in the Navy, there was this wonderful saying: "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". Thumbs down from me on the new sound. :bolt:

Those S-Boats must have been a hoot.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
My attitude is either provide an ingame VoX quality that is as good as those offered by standalone VoX programs or just gut it out of the game completely because it's a waste of resources in the game.
Worst suggestion ever!
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Yeah.  You're right.  You can't turn the volume down on any group of effects.

Wait--A--Sec....

Yes, you can turn down volumes.

Hmmmm....

:headscratch:

wrongway
Thanks for the info.  Would be nice to have a seperate "engine sound" and "gun sound" slider.  Grouping those in with flaps and gear make the latter hard to hear unless the former are uncomfortably loud.  Guess I'll be learning to use a mixing board.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
Best thing about it.

Some of us didn't like the additional sounds like wind, base sirens or the base warning messages and frankly the other sounds I turned down were do to them being too loud that I wasn't able to hear the important sounds like my flaps and stall buzzer.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song