« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
ok move on.... enough of this Pig talk.  :D
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: Meat
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Q: How many PETA members does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None, PETA can't change anything.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
I said intrinsically superior.  My point is that just because you're a human doesn't make you better than a cow.  The reasoning behind this is that there is no such thing as absolute morality, it's all subjective.  That being said, I would never let an animal eat me because I want to live!  If that means cracking a few less sentient skulls, so be it.

-Penguin

I was gonna stay out...but this is so wrong, I feel the need to respond.

Penguin who destroyed your mind?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
I was gonna stay out...but this is so wrong, I feel the need to respond.

Penguin who destroyed your mind?
wikipedia...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
wikipedia...

I think its closer to home :(

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
I think its closer to home :(
maybe he was born with it...

:uhoh

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
lets put this thread to sleep already... it jumped the rails and went into the canyon long ago
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
Oops! I used the wrong word.  I should have said "harness", not "invent".  My bad.  Hippy?  I don't see what hippies have to do with optimism.  There were a bunch at the train station doing a PETA demonstration, and I saw a pretty standard distribution of outlooks on life amongst them.  I see a strawman.  I just want humane farming practices, not a return to anarchy and the A.E.T.P. (Animals for the Eating of Tasty People).

Words are incredibly important. If I was to say the sky is green, even though i meant to say blue, you would say I was wrong.

Hippy + Optimism = All you need is love

Realism = You need someone else in order to love which not everyone can have at once

Does not matter how positive you are, if no one loves you, your optimism fails.

There is no such thing as humane farming anymore than there was a humane way to dispose of the Jews during the holocaust. It is what it is. Slaughter. Would putting the Jews in 5 star accommodation before peacefully gassing them in their sleep have been an acceptable method? Of course not. As with all things in life, the end justifies the means, or not. The end result is we all get enough food as far as is possible. The consequence of us not all getting enough food would be murdering each other for the food. We've been there, we wont go back.
 The solution of bio-engineered meat is a viable way of reducing the suffering of livestock. It is also a good way of preventing said livestock from ever being created. Please don't attempt to argue that never existing in order to avoid a traumatic death is a viable alternative to living even for a moment, that would be below your intelligence.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
Where did I claim that all one needed was love?  You still didn't answer my hippy question.  I was being optimistic, but where did love come into the picture?  What are you talking about?

I think you're oversimplifying things.  While killing people in a holocaust is unacceptable, if you're going to kill them, don't torture them.  The same applies to slaughterhouses and industrial farming.  The animals live in incredibly crampt quarters, literally stepping in each other's turds.  Sure, they live, but it would be nice if they could live better.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
I think you're oversimplifying things.  While killing people in a holocaust is unacceptable, if you're going to kill them, don't torture them.  The same applies to slaughterhouses and industrial farming.  The animals live in incredibly crampt quarters, literally stepping in each other's turds.  Sure, they live, but it would be nice if they could live better.

-Penguin
when was the last time you stepped foot on a commercial farm or slaughterhouse?
jarhed  

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »

I think you're oversimplifying things.  While killing people in a holocaust is unacceptable, if you're going to kill them, don't torture them.  The same applies to slaughterhouses and industrial farming.  The animals live in incredibly crampt quarters, literally stepping in each other's turds.  Sure, they live, but it would be nice if they could live better.

-Penguin
seriously bro, be quiet for 2 seconds, or give up. im not trying to be mean or anything, but your not getting the big picture here. slaughterhouses are for killing animals QUICKLY. not for torture of the animals like your saying.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
when was the last time you stepped foot on a commercial farm or slaughterhouse?

I could level the same criticism at you.

seriously bro, be quiet for 2 seconds, or give up. im not trying to be mean or anything, but your not getting the big picture here. slaughterhouses are for killing animals QUICKLY. not for torture of the animals like your saying.

I'd disagree, both Wikipedia and Eisnitz, Gail A. Slaughterhouse. Prometheus Books, 1997, cited in Torres, Bob. Making a Killing. AK Press, 2007, p. 46. say that animals are skinned alive during slaughter.  That's undeniably cruel and torturous.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »
you wouldn't want to do that, you would lose...i've been places and seen things that would keep you awake for a long time.

you really should give it up. this is one instance where all your book smarts does you no good. you have to experience it to understand it.
jarhed  

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »

I'd disagree, both Wikipedia and Eisnitz, Gail A. Slaughterhouse. Prometheus Books, 1997, cited in Torres, Bob. Making a Killing. AK Press, 2007, p. 46. say that animals are skinned alive during slaughter.  That's undeniably cruel and torturous.

-Penguin
that is a complete load of BS. my uncle worked in a slaughterhouse for 15 years, never once did he say that they skinned the animal while it was still alive.

not to mention your source is wikipedia....and well, research cat deems wikipedia unacceptable.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »

-Penguin

That just goes to show how little you actually know and how you will over look many things just to take out the part that applies to your cause......read the process part of your wiki..

For her book Slaughterhouse, Gail Eisnitz, chief investigator for the Humane Farming Association (HFA), interviewed slaughterhouse workers in the U.S. who say that, because of the speed with which they are required to work, animals are routinely skinned while apparently alive, and still blinking, kicking, and shrieking. Eisnitz argues that this is not only cruel to the animals, but also dangerous for the human workers, as cows weighing several thousands of pounds thrashing around in pain are likely to kick out and debilitate anyone working near them.[7]

According to the HFA, Eiznitz interviewed slaughterhouse workers representing over two million hours of experience, who, without exception, told her that they have beaten, strangled, boiled, and dismembered animals alive, or have failed to report those who do. The workers described the effects the violence has had on their personal lives, with several admitting to being physically abusive or taking to alcohol and other drugs.[8] 

Honestly you bleat on about wanting to debate..well do it properly...at present and for many others you have not debated on facts but rather personal thought

Now that little bit you wrote up...you left out the fact that they said apparently alive....This process is pretty quick and a body of any description twitches just after death.

Have you ever caught a fish...and stabbed it's head to kill it humanely and seen how long it still moves (let's not get into the barbaric way in which said fish was snared hahaha)

Now that last part I have left in there because yes there are individuals who do mistreat sometimes in these places but that is not the general way of the company...usually these individuals are dealt with accordingly as it is not general practice .....I know of one such case here where a friend who was a sparky working saw abuse of animals by an individual and he was dismissed and...charged with animal cruelty

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:52:35 PM by SPKmes »