Author Topic: a BETTER strat system for all.  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: a BETTER strat system for all.
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »

I disagree. Only my last "vision" of am entirely new role would need such an (unlikely) complete rework. Changing down times of factories, or their impact on field item downtimes for example would be just a matter of turning a few knobs, nothing more.

I'm still having trouble understanding what it is about more downtime that improves gameplay.  With the short downtimes we have now, people don't resupply or specifically wait for them to come back, they move to another area of the map.  How would this change that?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
I'm still having trouble understanding what it is about more downtime that improves gameplay.  With the short downtimes we have now, people don't resupply or specifically wait for them to come back, they move to another area of the map.  How would this change that?

Wiley.

That's the effect factor. Longer downtime means a bigger effect for the same effort. And if you tweak it so that the status of the main strats will have a noticable impact, they will be a more attractive target. Thus increasing gameplay options and diversity.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »
I didn't see this referenced anywhere in the discussion so I thought it should be brought up.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,273567.0.html

The problem will always be about balance for everyone and avoiding the situation where, as Hitech put it, "people can't fight".

I personally believe that part of the problem, is that the force needed to capture the current bases is too similar. Here's a hypothetical situation it illustrate my point, a small group can take a small undefended airfield or a large undefended airfield in the same time. The mechanics of the current strat system don't provide and differentiation of bases. Now if there was a requirement for percentage of strat damage to allow for a medium or larger field to be captured that would change player behavior and NOT impact anyone's ability to fight.   
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »

That's the effect factor. Longer downtime means a bigger effect for the same effort. And if you tweak it so that the status of the main strats will have a noticable impact, they will be a more attractive target. Thus increasing gameplay options and diversity.

But what is that effect?  People don't wait for the buildings to come back now, they move to another base.  Why would a longer amount of downtime change anything about that behavior?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
But what is that effect?  People don't wait for the buildings to come back now, they move to another base.  Why would a longer amount of downtime change anything about that behavior?

Wiley.

I think I have trouble to follow you...  :headscratch:

When the central factory stays down for a much longer time, (so that it's not popping up before you even get your B-29 home)... what "other base" are players moving to?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
I think I have trouble to follow you...  :headscratch:

When the central factory stays down for a much longer time, (so that it's not popping up before you even get your B-29 home)... what "other base" are players moving to?

Ah, ok.  I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about tactical rebuild, like at airbases taking longer.  You're talking about the downtime of the strats themselves.

So you're proposing to give players the ability to take out the other country's radar for what, around an hour?  Is that counting if they resupply?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »
So you're proposing to give players the ability to take out the other country's radar for what, around an hour?  Is that counting if they resupply?

No, I'm not. I haven't made any concrete proposals, and I haven't written anything about the HQ at all. ;)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
No, I'm not. I haven't made any concrete proposals, and I haven't written anything about the HQ at all. ;)

Ok... Sorry, I was lumping the HQ in with the rest of it because the short downtime applies to them both.

You're still taking about hobbling the country in some fashion for longer than some people log in for in an evening, aren't you?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »
You're still taking about hobbling the country in some fashion for longer than some people log in for in an evening, aren't you?

I can't do much with that question. Who and how many are "some", and how long do they log in? What are you trying to say?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
I can't do much with that question. Who and how many are "some", and how long do they log in? What are you trying to say?

You're proposing the strat detrimental effects last until your plane lands.  That, to me, would indicate they'd last for around an hour minimum.  That's a helluva long time for some.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
You're proposing the strat detrimental effects last until your plane lands.  That, to me, would indicate they'd last for around an hour minimum.  That's a helluva long time for some.

Wiley.

For others it would be just a fraction.. you could make the same argument for porked ords on a base, which currently stay down almost an hour if not manually resupplied.

What is the point?

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
You're proposing the strat detrimental effects last until your plane lands.  That, to me, would indicate they'd last for around an hour minimum.  That's a helluva long time for some.

Wiley.

Unless the  strats  were decentralised  and  spread out in a more "zone" system and  not a  2 hour flight as was stated at the start. If your  logged in for  an hour there is  basically only one thing you can do , go find the horde and fight in the hordeball.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:48:22 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
Unless the  strats  were decentralised  and  spread out in a more "zone" system as was stated at the start.

Just to clarify, I'm all for the big strats myself. I just wish for making them more significant. Some additional zone targets would be fine, but that's only on top of it.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

For others it would be just a fraction.. you could make the same argument for porked ords on a base, which currently stay down almost an hour if not manually resupplied.

What is the point?

Country-wide debilitation is significantly different from porking ords on a base.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Country-wide debilitation is significantly different from porking ords on a base.

Wiley.

Depends on the level of "debilitation". It almost seems a bit to me as if you are trying to read something into my postings which isn't there.  :headscratch:

Could you please make clear what your objection is?