Author Topic: K/D Champ  (Read 3362 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: K/D Champ
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
I've been caught by F6F's in a dive before, several times, but the Kitty always had an initial E advantage. 

Both F6F and 262 are the only two Ac that out dive me so far
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Both F6F and 262 are the only two Ac that out dive me so far

The F6F has very good dive handling, and a higher critical Mach than the P-47. That means that the Jug compresses at a lower speed than the Hellcat. Another factor is how one enters a dive. To get the best dive acceleration, you want to "unload" the airframe. In other words, you want the g meter to indicate zero g. If you bunt over and begin to "red out", you've loaded the airframe. Ease the stick forward and get the g meter to zero. Hold that until the nose is where you want and then center the stick. Unloading the airframe increases the rate of acceleration by minimizing induced drag. This applies to all aircraft, by the way.

When the F6F begins to buffet in a dive, it wants to pull out all by itself. Thus, you can trim nose down a bit to maintain the angle of descent. The F6F can dive with any prop fighter in the game.... 
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
Unfortunately I've managed to rip the wings off my F6F three times. :furious  Wings on the F4Us and P47s seem unbreakable :aok
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline TwinTail

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Ty for the acknowledgment Letalis. Though im not a continuous D25 pilot, it was fun to fly for half a tour. From the looks of it out of only 108 victories, only 5 were A2G, the rest were all A2A.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:07:52 PM by TwinTail »
d-40 and d-11 easily out turn a spixteen
==*Top Gun*==
TwinTail

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
Unfortunately I've managed to rip the wings off my F6F three times. :furious  Wings on the F4Us and P47s seem unbreakable :aok

Yes, the wing will do that on the F6F.  I have not yet done it on the P-47.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
my apologies for bringing the 38j k/d ratio down  :frown: :bolt:
Shhaddup  :D, that would be StabOps and I bringing it down together  :cry
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »

Sounds like a stress modeling error... The F6F was able to withstand 13g without airframe damage. Well documented by Grumman test pilots. Ditto for the F4F/FM series as well. I have never broken wings off of an F6F... On the other hand, the P-51 could break-up in wind shear, as experienced by Zemke.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
I know the F6F was rated for some extreme forces so it does seem odd that it would break a wing before the 47.  I hadn't broken a wing in some time and was thinking maybe the wing structure was remodeled with the reinforced tail section fix from a while back.  Took an F6F up to 16k offline, dove to well over 500, did a max pull and got only creaks and blackout.  Did this a couple times and was thinking all was well.  However as I continued pulling G and bleeding off speed, elevator authority seemed to improve and I was able to snap the outer half of my left wing somewhere in the 380-430kias regime. Meh.

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:15:34 PM »
I know the F6F was rated for some extreme forces so it does seem odd that it would break a wing before the 47.  I hadn't broken a wing in some time and was thinking maybe the wing structure was remodeled with the reinforced tail section fix from a while back.  Took an F6F up to 16k offline, dove to well over 500, did a max pull and got only creaks and blackout.  Did this a couple times and was thinking all was well.  However as I continued pulling G and bleeding off speed, elevator authority seemed to improve and I was able to snap the outer half of my left wing somewhere in the 380-430kias regime. Meh.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to break a wing on the F6F. Couldn't do it. I dived from 30k, saw 605 mph TAS at 2,000 feet, and pulled past black out. Nothing. I tried over and over throughout the speed range. Nothing...

I suspect you may have a spiking stick.
My regards,

Widewing

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »
I just spent 15 minutes trying to break a wing on the F6F. Couldn't do it. I dived from 30k, saw 605 mph TAS at 2,000 feet, and pulled past black out. Nothing. I tried over and over throughout the speed range. Nothing...

I suspect you may have a spiking stick.

that or had damage to wings :headscratch:

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
If I dive directly down on a CV from 10,000' I'll snap the wings off it every time. It didnt used to do that, I figured it was a modeling change. What could I do with my stick to fix that? Thanks.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »
If I dive directly down on a CV from 10,000' I'll snap the wings off it every time. It didnt used to do that, I figured it was a modeling change. What could I do with my stick to fix that? Thanks.

Unplug it.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
Does the wing snap off while you are loaded with ordes/rockets?  Or pulling out of the dive?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

The puffy is landing close enough to weaken them during your dive causing the failure.  Multiple close puffy explosions causes cumulative damage.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
No damage to plane, 50% fuel on takeoff.  Currently using a new Logitech G940 with scaling enabled and default deadband/dampening setting.  Can't pull the wings off a Jug or F4U no matter how hard I try.  :joystick: