Author Topic: Elitism  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Elitism
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
I spend all week trying to make people, as good or better then me.  If a student of mine shoots me down, that means I did a good job :aok  So in essence I try to make all my students more elite then me.  So If I succeed with everyone, I can't be elite  :uhoh :cry

Seriously though, Elitism is going to mean different things to different people in this game.  Most of the time it has a negative context when brought up here.  But I can also see it as something to aspire to.  I can remember way back, thinking of some of those on here or were here, as being elite pilots from what I saw on the boards.  Some lived up to their reputations, some fell way short. I always worked at being better then those that could back up their reputations.  There's nothing wrong in wanting to be better at this game, as long as it doesn't effect more important things.  Wanting to be better is one of my hiring requirements for VF-17 :D

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
I spend all week trying to make people, as good or better then me.  If a student of mine shoots me down, that means I did a good job :aok  So in essence I try to make all my students more elite then me.  So If I succeed with everyone, I can't be elite  :uhoh :cry

Seriously though, Elitism is going to mean different things to different people in this game.  Most of the time it has a negative context when brought up here.  But I can also see it as something to aspire to.  I can remember way back, thinking of some of those on here or were here, as being elite pilots from what I saw on the boards.  Some lived up to their reputations, some fell way short. I always worked at being better then those that could back up their reputations.  There's nothing wrong in wanting to be better at this game, as long as it doesn't effect more important things.  Wanting to be better is one of my hiring requirements for VF-17 :D

BigRat

I think there's a big difference between being "elite", and being an "elitist".  

While I'd see being labeled as "elite" as a positive, I'd consider being labeled as an "elitist" a definite negative (as I would if I were accused of elitism) with rare exception.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:17:34 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
pies :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:55 AM »
Humble pies....
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
30 Days in the Hole   (By  Humble Pie)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline TheAssi

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
Isn't the hole the pie?

Oh that's right.  It's the cherry.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2012, 03:58:43 AM »

How about this one?

A man....... walks.... into......

a bar.......

The ..... second....... man..... ducks....

How was the speed on that one?  :cheers:

Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »
I think there's a big difference between being "elite", and being an "elitist".  

While I'd see being labeled as "elite" as a positive, I'd consider being labeled as an "elitist" a definite negative (as I would if I were accused of elitism) with rare exception.

^^This
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
I treat my enemy with contempt until they earn my respect.

I am accused of being self righteous, and they are perfectly correct. I got a lot of trouble in school for disrespecting authority, yet was a "golden boy" at my JROTC unit.

Why? The teachers treated us with contempt and assumed superiority. While my Commanding Officer at JROTC was a veteran of Vietnam and a Cadet Commander of 25 years.

My respect is Earned not Assumed.

That is the attitude I take with people in game. They have to show they are "worthy" of my respect.

Sooo, you disrespect them until they earn your respect? If that's what you're saying, you neither deserve or have the right to expect respect. It's a two way street. No one is impressed with anyone immediately. If you assume you are inherently superior to people around you, you are dead wrong. There is nothing brave, courageous, or "John Wayne" in your attitude. I'm positive, your commander demanded your respect from the beginning, you didn't have the option to disrespect him & you knew it. It was not optional. That was the real difference. Your teacher have been de-fanged by the liberals. They can't even paddle a smart-arses behind when he needs it. You had no respect because you were not required to respect them by any rules of society, because basically, there are none...not really. You can push a teacher much much farther now and suffer very little risk of punishment, but that's the teachers fault?  BS!! Plain & Simple!!!   :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
Sooo, you disrespect them until they earn your respect? If that's what you're saying, you neither deserve or have the right to expect respect. It's a two way street. No one is impressed with anyone immediately. If you assume you are inherently superior to people around you, you are dead wrong. There is nothing brave, courageous, or "John Wayne" in your attitude. I'm positive, your commander demanded your respect from the beginning, you didn't have the option to disrespect him & you knew it. It was not optional. That was the real difference. Your teacher have been de-fanged by the liberals. They can't even paddle a smart-arses behind when he needs it. You had no respect because you were not required to respect them by any rules of society, because basically, there are none...not really. You can push a teacher much much farther now and suffer very little risk of punishment, but that's the teachers fault?  BS!! Plain & Simple!!!   :old:

Bolded for truth. It's that mentality in this generation. They've all lost their minds. They think they're hot $#!t until they're in a hot spot and then they ARE hot $#!t. ie in a hot spot and about as useful.

I treat EVERYONE with equal respect until they give me a reason to not respect them.

Why? Because there's no need to be a pompous arse just because someone didn't blow through 300 million jihadist/VC/Huns/Nazis/Japs etc.
The teachers you decide to disrespect just might have done some of the stuff your "CO" did. Just because they don't live the military life forever doesn't mean they didn't do it.

Hell I know an 0311 (Infantry) Marine who is an English teacher now. You'd never even know that he was in Fallujah. He never mentions it, doesn't keep the high-n-tight, and isn't all "Murder, death, kill, eat babies!". (BTW - that's my old platoon's motto haha).

If I was your CO and I knew you had that attitude, I would have made you regret joining the JROTC. I would have made you want to go home every night and ask your mom WHY she decided to let you be born. Why? Because you don't deserve the ability to respect yourself if you can't respect others.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:14:10 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
I treat my enemy with contempt until they earn my respect.

I am accused of being self righteous, and they are perfectly correct. I got a lot of trouble in school for disrespecting authority, yet was a "golden boy" at my JROTC unit.

Why? The teachers treated us with contempt and assumed superiority. While my Commanding Officer at JROTC was a veteran of Vietnam and a Cadet Commander of 25 years.

My respect is Earned not Assumed.

That is the attitude I take with people in game. They have to show they are "worthy" of my respect.

The words of a boy.

Sooo, you disrespect them until they earn your respect? If that's what you're saying, you neither deserve or have the right to expect respect.

I treat EVERYONE with equal respect until they give me a reason to not respect them.

The words of men.

A wide gulf of maturity wisdom and experiance seperates the two.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
Bolded for truth. It's that mentality in this generation. They've all lost their minds. They think they're hot $#!t until they're in a hot spot and then they ARE hot $#!t. ie in a hot spot and about as useful.

Why? Because there's no need to be a pompous arse just because someone didn't blow through 300 million jihadist/VC/Huns/Nazis/Japs etc.
The teachers you decide to disrespect just might have done some of the stuff your "CO" did. Just because they don't live the military life forever doesn't mean they didn't do it.

Hell I know an 0311 (Infantry) Marine who is an English teacher now. You'd never even know that he was in Fallujah. He never mentions it, doesn't keep the high-n-tight, and isn't all "Murder, death, kill, eat babies!". (BTW - that's my old platoon's motto haha).

If I was your CO and I knew you had that attitude, I would have made you regret joining the JROTC. I would have made you want to go home every night and ask your mom WHY she decided to let you be born. Why? Because you don't deserve the ability to respect yourself if you can't respect others.

Oh I could not have said it better if I even wanted! 

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
A wide gulf of maturity wisdom and experiance seperates the two.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
hehe I just realized something....We can all gree that Plawranc's attitude is that of a dick right?

Well...there's a quote from a thread that I'm sure most of us remember...

"The rules of Aces High are simple. Don't be a dick."

Am I the only one that finds that kind of funny?  :lol

HiTech

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
hehe I just realized something....We can all gree that Plawranc's attitude is that of a dick right?

Well...there's a quote from a thread that I'm sure most of us remember...

"The rules of Aces High are simple. Don't be a dick."

Am I the only one that finds that kind of funny?  :lol

So because you don't agree with his opinion he's wrong and you are right?
JG 52