Author Topic: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery  (Read 19882 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Agreed.   :aok

Also, forward firing guns should be disabled on bombers when in F3/F5 mode.  No more Tie Fighter bombers.

+1, if for no other reason than to take it away as a source of complaint. :)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
F3/F5 should be removed from EVERY plane.

I think F3 has a legitimate use in modeling the ability of four to ten crew members all scanning the sky. Otherwise you've got a four-engine bomber with a crew of one with the pilot having to leave the controls and physically jump to a gun position to have any idea what might be in that sector of sky, which is absurd.

What should be removed is the ability to fire any guns or drop any ordnance in F3 mode - F3 is for looking only. As a compromise, F3 could be disabled if you fly an attack sortie.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
I think F3 has a legitimate use in modeling the ability of four to ten crew members all scanning the sky. Otherwise you've got a four-engine bomber with a crew of one with the pilot having to leave the controls and physically jump to a gun position to have any idea what might be in that sector of sky, which is absurd.

What should be removed is the ability to fire any guns or drop any ordnance in F3 mode - F3 is for looking only. As a compromise, F3 could be disabled if you fly an attack sortie.

that works too, still doesn't need to be in IL2, A20, 110, etc.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »

F3/F5 should be removed from EVERY plane.

You've played for a total of less than 3 hours over the past three tours and you expect anyone to give a hoot about your opinion? LOLOLOL
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
You've played for a total of less than 3 hours over the past three tours and you expect anyone to give a hoot about your opinion? LOLOLOL

What reasons do the IL-2 need F3 mode as well as A20? Both are classified as attack planes, A20 could be debated but frankly a good stick will win with the plane either way, why does it need f3?
JG 52

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »

i've played more than 3 hours, but time sitting in field guns killing vulchers doesn't count :)

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
What reasons do the IL-2 need F3 mode as well as A20? Both are classified as attack planes, A20 could be debated but frankly a good stick will win with the plane either way, why does it need f3?

Aside from a the standard rule of having all bombers with 3 or more crew members having F3, the fact remains that the A-20 is completely blind to the rear. It is, after all, a bomber. A very high performance bomber, but a bomber nonetheless. The Boston, just as fast and even more agile at low speed has F3....

The problem here is that this is a very slippery slope. What criteria would HTC use? How do we decide which aircraft lose F3? What about the TBM, the SBD and the D3a?  All have forward firing guns. All can out-turn most fighters...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
While we're at it - remove F3 in the DA as well. I hate pray & spray, BnZ Tempests who make impossible under-the-nose shots while doing Mach 3 from their atmosphere re-entry while I'm fighting five of their buddies.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
While we're at it - remove F3 in the DA as well. I hate pray & spray, BnZ Tempests who make impossible under-the-nose shots while doing Mach 3 from their atmosphere re-entry while I'm fighting five of their buddies.

LOL it would be nice actually, I used to love DA lake until ^ became the only way people play now a days.

Bad as the MA gets it is no where near as bad as a dozen tempys doing mach 3 in F3 mode.
JG 52

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
LOL it would be nice actually, I used to love DA lake until ^ became the only way people play now a days.

Bad as the MA gets it is no where near as bad as a dozen tempys doing mach 3 in F3 mode.

You know, I hate being a tin foil hat - wearing paranoid, but it's just so blatantly obvious.

Sorry for the hijack  :angel:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »

I think all 3 should have F3 IF nothing is done to mitigate "hordeswaggle vulchfests"  :aok

OR

Have 2 types of hangars, 1 type being "aircraft" hangars, ALL planes can up from them and vehicle hangars

Otherwise I don't see a need for F3 in these planes  :D

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
Its very simple, allow f3 mode for bombers, just make it so no one can shoot while in 3rd person.  :salute

Moving right along.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2012, 12:06:26 PM »
Well, tour 150 is nearly over and I thought that I'd check my A-20 stats...

74 kills, 4 deaths.

Against aircraft, 39 kills, 1 death. I believe the one death resulted from a collision with a P-51. All air to air kills were in defense of an airfield (all kills, both air and ground resulted from defending a base).

A6M5b: 1
B-17G: 3
B-24J: 1
Bf 109F-4: 1
Bf 109G-14: 1
Brewster B-239: 1
C-47A: 1
F4U-1: 1
F4U-1A: 2
F4U-1D: 2
F6F-5   : 5
La-7: 2   
Lancaster III: 2
N1K2: 5   
P-47N: 1   
P-51D: 4   
SeaFire: 2   
Spitfire Mk IX: 2   
Spitfire Mk VIII: 2   

I'm usually below 5k, frequently on the deck.

So yeah, if flown intelligently, the A-20 is a potent adversary. IMHO, it's single greatest advantage is that few opposing pilots take it seriously... At least until they find themselves in the tower.

My regards,

Widewing

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
Well, tour 150 is nearly over and I thought that I'd check my A-20 stats...

76 kills, 4 deaths.

Against aircraft, 41 kills, 1 death. I believe the one death resulted from a collision with a P-51. All air to air kills were in defense of an airfield (all kills, both air and ground resulted from defending a base).

A6M5b: 1
B-17G: 3
B-24J: 1
Bf 109F-4: 1
Bf 109G-14: 1
Brewster B-239: 1
C-47A: 1
F4U-1: 1
F4U-1A: 2
F4U-1D: 2
F6F-5: 5
La-7: 2   
Lancaster III: 2
N1K2: 5   
P-38L: 1
P-47N: 1   
P-51D: 4   
SeaFire: 2   
Spitfire Mk IX: 2   
Spitfire Mk VIII: 2   
Spitfire Mk XVI: 1

I'm usually below 5k, frequently on the deck.

So yeah, if flown intelligently, the A-20 is a potent adversary. IMHO, it's single greatest advantage is that few opposing pilots take it seriously... At least until they find themselves in the tower.

Updated the above....

I had time to fly one A-20 sortie this afternoon... Added a Spit16 and P-38... Neither had a clue what to expect.... :D
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
Maybe it is because I read these forums, but I always approach and A-20 with caution and assume it will be able to fight back effectively.  I'm not particularly good at the game, but I've yet to lose anything to one.  I did meet one the other day while flying a Mossie, but I was well above him and he'd recently been engaged with another fighter.  The A-20 was pretty tough and he managed to ditch in the ocean.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-