Author Topic: Planes in LW vs. Respect  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Planes in LW vs. Respect
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
I don't always play AH but when I do, I rid in a tree.

.... and I never die! :devil
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Seriously? 

People base respect for each other on plane choice?

Seems awful short-sighted and shallow.

I've seen a lot of "difficult mode" planes that wouldn't stray from their protective hordes, and only seemed to want to fight me if they had help (and even then, they'd often hang outside the fight and only jump in to pounce on me when I'd been whittled down to a state of helplessness).

And I've been in many a swarm with my "easy mode" lone-wolf F4U where simply keeping an eye on my enemies was tough; let alone surviving, getting any kills, or getting out with any kills.

In a one on one, sure, plane choice matters.  In the MA's though, landing kills is based far more on many factors OTHER than plane choice.

I believe the "plane choice" argument is primarily an excuse for getting killed.  It's a crutch.  AN important crutch at times, because some people obviously need to find a way to feel better than others when their stats may tell a different story.

I don't think I could respect someone who based respect on plane choice.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
The people in disagreement fight as a group and pick people off each others six. Its smart but it doesnt mean they are flying more difficult aircraft. The real fact is they spin more horse hockey than any politician you ever heard of.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
Seriously? 

thank you.. I guess my humor didn't deliver the message... oh well joke fail....:(
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
Seriously? 

I've seen a lot of "difficult mode" planes that wouldn't stray from their protective hordes, and only seemed to want to fight me if they had help (and even then, they'd often hang outside the fight and only jump in to pounce on me when I'd been whittled down to a state of helplessness).

And I've been in many a swarm with my "easy mode" lone-wolf F4U where simply keeping an eye on my enemies was tough; let alone surviving, getting any kills, or getting out with any kills.

In a one on one, sure, plane choice matters.  In the MA's though, landing kills is based far more on many factors OTHER than plane choice.

I believe the "plane choice" argument is primarily an excuse for getting killed.  It's a crutch.  AN important crutch at times, because some people obviously need to find a way to feel better than others when their stats may tell a different story.

I don't think I could respect someone who based respect on plane choice.

I agree completely.....

I respect those that fight.....I don't care what they fly......as long as they fight.....

but I respect someone more when they show they dont need the "kill"  

for instance pnydrvr he always fights in his 51....also refused to engage me while I was fighting 2 of his friends.....

thats a guy I will respect and remember.....

the one pass haul arse to ACK or friends only to engage when the nme is engaged with friends......

then come up with all kinds of excuses why they didn't fight.....I have absolutely nothing for....except disdain.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
I don't necessarily respect people for what they fly.  I do look down on certain "Aces", who could probably mop up in anything and yet are often found flying late war monsters in gang vulch parties.  How they get their jollies this way is mystifying.  I would be bored to death.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
I will "chalenge" anyone to a duel.  I get the Spit16 and you get the P40C or I-16 w/ the .30 cal MG's only.  Oh, we all take %100 fuel, too.  We start at 10k, meet head on at full speed then once we pass it becomes "game on". 

We'll see just how important the plane is. 

Plane selection is everything and while pilot "skill" means at least %50 the ability of the plane to out run, out climb, out turn, or out dive is a huge part of the other half of that pie chart.  Gunnery and raw knowledge of the aircraft quirks and abilities (or lack of) are important as well.

Make no mistake about it, the plane is a bigger part of the success of a player than the nay-sayers will admit to.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
Your ACM, and SA must take a serious hit if what you are assumingly trying to say is - its easier to pick in a A8, then try to dogfight in a trainerfire.

Where the hell did you get that from?  I said nothing of the sort.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »
Just for the record I dont respect any of you for what you do in AH. Nothing in this game can earn you respect. But when you go and insult someone for choosing a certain plane or for flying a certain way . . . I laugh at you. I am not the only one. WAY too serious. But then I realize thats exactly what you come here for. You want respect? Earn a million dollars or cure cancer or something along those lines.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
here we go... earn a load of money, you get respect...  play like a man, you dont get respect...
Where this world is going.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:46 AM »
I think you're a snob.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
but I respect someone more when they show they dont need the "kill" 

Ditto.  On every single occasion where a country-mate is asking for help or a call comes out at a pivotal moment for support in taking a base I'll engage.  I notice some score obsessed don't follow suite.  Their $15\month so I just shrug it off.

Maybe the title of this thread is misleading.  Just trying to get feedback on effectivity vs. plane choice.  Some really good feedback has come out of this thread so far.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
I will "chalenge" anyone to a duel.  I get the Spit16 and you get the P40C or I-16 w/ the .30 cal MG's only.  Oh, we all take %100 fuel, too.  We start at 10k, meet head on at full speed then once we pass it becomes "game on".  

We'll see just how important the plane is.  

Plane selection is everything and while pilot "skill" means at least %50 the ability of the plane to out run, out climb, out turn, or out dive is a huge part of the other half of that pie chart.  Gunnery and raw knowledge of the aircraft quirks and abilities (or lack of) are important as well.

Make no mistake about it, the plane is a bigger part of the success of a player than the nay-sayers will admit to.    

Once again, we're talking about two radically different situations, and trying to jumble them into one convenient metric.

Dueling situations have very little in common with the MA environment.  Trying to compare same-plane or different-plane situations as if dueling and the MA were synonymous is ridiculous.

Personally, I find lone-wolfing the MA swarms in my late war monster F4U to be infinitely more difficult/challenging/engaging/exciting than the VAST majority of 1v1 dueling (whether it's same-plane duels or whether I'm disadvantaged through plane-choice, fuel load-out, or whatever).

Plane-choice "respect" arguments are really nothing more than ego-fluff (which is fine, BTW; we all find different ways/reasons to enjoy the game).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:37:51 AM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 06:41:54 AM »
Ditto.  On every single occasion where a country-mate is asking for help or a call comes out at a pivotal moment for support in taking a base I'll engage.  I notice some score obsessed don't follow suite.  Their $15\month so I just shrug it off.

Maybe the title of this thread is misleading.  Just trying to get feedback on effectivity vs. plane choice.  Some really good feedback has come out of this thread so far.  :salute

And see, this is something I find more disrespectful than plane-choice.  I may jump in to save someone who's asking for assistance, but I consider doing so to be disrespectful for my/our opponent.

On the other hand, I truly love the challenge of having my opponent getting help in defeating me.  I'm ok with a multi-on-me, I'm not ok with participating in a multi-on-one.

Game-wise, I completely ignore the base-capture aspects though, so that's a fundamental difference between the way I play and the way others play.

:salute
MtnMan

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
Personally, I find lone-wolfing the MA swarms in my late war monster F4U to be infinitely more difficult/challenging/engaging/exciting than the VAST majority of 1v1 dueling (whether it's same-plane duels or whether I'm disadvantaged through plane-choice, fuel load-out, or whatever).

Don't you think it might be even more difficult were you flying a P-40C?

- oldman