Author Topic: Run90 Defensive Tactic (Video!)  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
Run90 Defensive Tactic (Video!)
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:22 AM »
I have seen this defensive "tactic" employed by 190s and Spits more and more as the years go on.   Despite the fact that it took 7 bursts at or near convergence to finally take him down, should the pilot (and/or plane) be able to sustain this maneuver and over again without his head exploding in the cockpit from the negative Gs?  At a minimum (if his head doesn't explode), should it induce a redout lock, similar to the inverse sustained blackout?

Try to ignore the enemy taters being sprayed all around me while all this is happening, it can get distracting! :)

Note: Don't forget 720p to actually see what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-q4E_qC5fM

Discuss.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Run90 Defensive Tactic (Video!)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »

:rofl I gotta say though, for stick stirring, this guy takes the cake, I think, if you don't count warpers  :lol
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:00:37 AM »
Its pretty lame as he lacks the slightest ambition to beat you, instead, he is trying to set up a pick in a questionable way.
I have seen some stick stirrers but this is something unique.
AoM
City of ice

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »
That's not a Run90. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
Lag.....100% lag nothing more :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:01:55 AM »
THat's not lag, that's sustained negative G...doesn't look right to me....
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
HTC is less than remotely concerned with any sort of realism.  This is not a combat flight simulator, it is a game full of gamers.  Get used to it, it never ever... ever, will change.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
HTC is less than remotely concerned with any sort of realism.  This is not a combat flight simulator, it is a game full of gamers.  Get used to it, it never ever... ever, will change.
:aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
I didn't see that as stick stirring at all.  Those who call this stick stirring have evidently never seen actual sick stirring.  This was really nothing more than a negative G flat scissor.  Generally I love when people start to flat scissor in front of me although I'll admit the neg G aspect of this one might have caught me by surprise at least momentarily.

I guess as long as he can ride the red-out it's no different than riding the tunnel in a black-out.

That said I find it a questionable tactic in that the E burnt sustaining that move has to be massive, ultimately putting him in a much worse position than a more traditional approach.  He certainly had better options.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

agreed, it's it's too bad  :(

I also agree that is NOT a stick stir. Stick stirring has the target flopping all around in no real/apparent mode of flight. At least this guy was still flying the plane, altho very oddly.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Not right, just an opinion. I trust the orignal film/file has been submitted so that the hard data can be examined?
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »
Not right, just an opinion. I trust the orignal film/file has been submitted so that the hard data can be examined?
What is there to examine?  The guy wasn't even doing the floppy fish.  Just a very odd, and not very effective, negative G scissor.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
Hi Pand,
  Fascinating video. I couldn't catch it all the first look, but after re-reading
the post and seeing your recommendation to watch it at 720, it became
a lot clearer.
  Those were some great moves he was performing. Whether or not they
could actually be done in real life, I don't have a clue. But I would
venture a guess that the vast majority, if not all, real world pilots
back then would have been impacted greatly by the pressures/lack thereof
of blood flow to the brain trying to replicate 'em.
  Looked to be a fun fight. From the dispersion of those
rounds flyin' over your shoulder, it also looked like the
enemy on your six was havin' a godawful time tryin' to
get a decent lineup on ya as you stayed locked on the wolf.

Best regards, Odd

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
HAHA! I found that awesome, he was being quite predictable and making you look silly (no offense). Looked to me as though if he had been more aggressive he might have forced an overshoot by you. I suspect this was difficult for you merely cause it is rare and he seemed do be doing it well. Undeniably there will be more of this after most watch and or experience this, thus creating the experience needed to defeat it efficiently. Don't frett this too will run its course as folks gain experience in defeating it!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
Thanks all for the comments! 

His original plan was to run; however, once he realized that option was no longer available, he started the negative G shenanigans. 

These types of evasives used to be rare, but are becoming more and more common.  The question is around the pilot being able to sustain this type of maneuver.  Ultimately if their head doesn't pop, they still end up dead.

A quick search found the following:
Negative g's are also possible, and are similar to positive g's except blood is pushed upwards into the
head instead of pulled away. At negative g forces , blood becomes lighter so that the heart actually pumps
too much blood to the brain causing red out. A few seconds of red out may lead to recoverable migraine
headaches and tissue swelling. But at forces much less than –3g’s, blood vessels will burst and can cause
instant death.

I hope I didn't look too silly--- if I had been in a cannon bird, only one of my 7 bursts would have disabled him.   :joystick:

All and all it was fun with a lot of action going on around me--- This was the most extreme/repetitive/consistent negative G experience I have seen, so I wanted to share.   :D

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd