Author Topic: Grounded for good.  (Read 10486 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Grounded for good.
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 04:26:33 AM »
Volron, I'm with TC on this one.

The problem isn't the resources available (or not available) to us as players to squelch away harassment.

The problem is, one simply shouldn't have to be dealing with harassment in the first place.

Yes, they can implement a 'perma-squelch' or some such fix, however, all that does is cover up the real issue which is a lack of respect from certain players.
There is no easy way out here. It's ultimately up to the community to foster a positive, engaging, and respectful atmosphere within our small, wonderful bubble of the internet. Unfortunately, many players are too simple-minded and/or stubborn to accept that the way they act is childish, immature, and ultimately unacceptable. These few, I believe, are dealt with accordingly by the powers that be (HTC) when the time arises, however, they come back without really a lesson learned.

So the question is, how do we reverse D-bag-ism, and turn snotheads into respectable people?
Beats me. Maybe they are unable to be changed this late in the game of life.
I was lucky to stumble here at a young age, and learn respect from the respectable people I spent that time with.
I learned respect from this very community, over time. Pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:30:50 AM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
You can buy a voice changer ya know...

Good idea. :aok.   I shall consider it. :old:

Mr Rogers does have a nice voice, but I will try to find something more along the lines of Charlton Heston. :old:

Consider your way, everyone that makes fun of voices. :old:

Being made fun of can hurt feelings. :old:

Zack1234 has a soothing voice. :old:

Being in a famous band likely helped him.. :old:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:23:57 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:51 AM »
I was told I sound like Mr Rogers on range by Butcher.

a couple of people have told me I sound like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs   :old:

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
News flash: the world isn't a nice place, suck it up and put on your big-girl panties
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
News flash: the world isn't a nice place, suck it up and put on your big-girl panties

It can be a nice place, if we make it so.  :)      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

It's up to you and me. :)

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
If you quit, they have won.

A little inspiration by another female player (Schatzi) for ya from back in the day...

http://www.slowcat.de/slowcats1/films/TNFS.wmv
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
lol, 4prop...your comments/recommentations kinda makes one wonder if you haven't been one of the d-bags giving Esme crap in vox. those "voice changer" plugins don't work with aces high vox, which is where the unnamed no class dipsticks were exchanging tales of pseudo heroism. not that Esme should have to change her voice to keep people from giving her crap for the way she sounds. maybe she should have spoken with some of her more mature and intelligent squad mates to see what could be done before calling it quits. there is also the option in aces high of getting several people to use the report button on them to get the dipsticks muted.

on the other hand, it's the retardnet which is chock full of mouth breathing basement dweller trailer park rejects and retardnet bullies who think the anonymity gives them license to to do and say whatever they please, even in video games that allow voice comms. if you're easily offended, it's time to turn off the computer and go outside. getting your feelings hurt by what is said in lala land is a personal choice. not saying that any of us should be required to put up with listening to all of the stupid being spewed and piped directly into our ear drums, but it's just as easy to laugh at offensive morons as it is to get upset. and if the offenders are of particularly low iq using alcohol as an excuse for being special d-bags they can be amusingly pissed off faily easily.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »
esme, get a Logitech G35 headset with built in voice synthesizer. it works great and you'll never have to worry about people thinking you're a Female. i use it on occasion. someone told me once i sounded like a serial rapist, whatever that might sound like?!!

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »
What Jarhed said!^^
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »
esme, get a Logitech G35 headset with built in voice synthesizer. it works great and you'll never have to worry about people thinking you're a Female. i use it on occasion. someone told me once i sounded like a serial rapist, whatever that might sound like?!!

... and exactly what is wrong with people thinking you're female?

Mr Rogers would have said be yourself and be proud of it.  Those that have trouble controlling their feelings should listen to the youtube video I posted above.  Even the tough Senator melted in his chair listening to him.

Very inspirational. :old:

Very inspirational indeed. :old:

:salute Mr. Rogers :rock

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
esme, get a Logitech G35 headset with built in voice synthesizer. it works great and you'll never have to worry about people thinking you're a Female.

Not picking on you Jaeger, but using your quote...

It should not matter whether someone is male or female. Offensive subjects/language is offensive and is not allowed. Conversing about politics, religion, etc. is equally not allowed. Nobody should have to put up with stuff like this. Such behavior should be reported every time it happens.

This is a game, and we play it to have fun. If one's idea of "having fun" is verbally abusing someone, then they have serious issues and need to be suspended or banned.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »
you're absolutely right dot, it shouldn't matter, but there was a report on tv about how female video game players are totally harassed in Video games. i was trying to suggest something to help her out. while i agree she shouldn't need to hide her gender, there's always a butthead or 2 out there, that will just totally be idiots to someone like her. she doesn't deserve that. using a voice synthesizer will give her anonymity and allow her to tell people of her choosing if she is a female or not.

as the old saying goes, the police cant be everywhere so in order for her to protect herself from the morons, my plan B would be a good option for her, without making her quit. just trying to help, and i know you're right too.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

Just for the record, 71sqn does not tolerate this kind of behaviour.

A player has been permanently ejected from the squad as a result of this incident.

That is all I have to say about this.

:salute
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
Almost makes me want to go get that headset and make my voice sound female...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »
Almost makes me want to go get that headset and make my voice sound female...
:rofl  that could be fun...wonder how many squeaker ankle humpers you would end up with.  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett