Author Topic: Side switchers  (Read 5491 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Side switchers
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I switch to defend.

Can't say I have ever been abused for it...

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
and you are having so much fun switching sides that you have been gone for a while  :rofl.  bring back the 1 hour switch so you can come back and quit again   :old:.

semp

There are many reasons why I'm not currently playing.
I am not that big on video games, in fact this is the only video game I've played other than RTW maybe 3-4 times.
My business is incredibly active and is absorbing almost all of my time these days.
With whatever time I can save I use to spend with wife, trying to maintain an actual marriage and also remodeling my home

YES! The game was much more fun for me when I could change countries within an hour!

YES! Bringing the 1 hour switch rule back might be just the thing for me to "at the minimum" re sub!

YES! I would most likely quit again cause there is much much more than this game!

Ironically, I have quit before, but this is the only time that I've canceled my sub. I thought it too much trouble to keep it, thinking I'd pop in now and then to get some time in when I would be limited to 12 hour increments. <-- this seemed foolish so I committed to the cancel.

It is obvious that you have a terribly intrusive bur under your saddle about side switching. The irony is IF it were changed, your freedom to choose to stay on one country would still not be limited as your freedom to do so now is not limited. Those of us who would enjoy and prefer to switch have our freedom curtailed at the moment and have for some time. Ironic

JUGgler

Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
You do when your game is picking.  I can't tell you how many times I have been on a con, only to have one of these wonder boys come from 15,000 and clear my 12.

Fred

You've got all types of players on both sides of the fence.  I can't remember the last time I looked around the map playing for any country and thought to myself, 'Wow, there isn't a single green horde vulch/pickfest to be had.'  I also can't remember the last time I went an entire evening without there being a significant lull where there were no red planes to be seen.

With horde pick/vulchfests being the single most common thing in the game, where is the benefit in limiting the people who are looking to oppose the giant red bar dar?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
You've got all types of players on both sides of the fence.  I can't remember the last time I looked around the map playing for any country and thought to myself, 'Wow, there isn't a single green horde vulch/pickfest to be had.'  I also can't remember the last time I went an entire evening without there being a significant lull where there were no red planes to be seen.

With horde pick/vulchfests being the single most common thing in the game, where is the benefit in limiting the people who are looking to oppose the giant red bar dar?

Wiley.

I guess you are asking me that since you quoted me.  My response is, why are you asking me?  I thought I made it clear in a previous post that I could care less about folks that switch sides.  Means nada to me.  I was disagreeing with you about the reason why most of them switch.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
but dont pretend you are the "knight in shiny armor" helping the low side.  I find that laughable.

What I find laughable is that no matter how many times you repeat the same lies, they still don't become true. 

I used to be a "loyal" nit(wit), but started switching sides years ago.  I have never switched to the high numbered side.
Just like in sports, I root for the underdog and were it not for the stupid 12 hour rule, would always fly for the side getting crushed.

As always Simp, you don't have a clue what the F you are talking about.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 02:40:14 PM »
If your $15 enables you the freedom to gang the toejam out of other players to satisfy your ego, it should also allow me to switch sides and to try and trash your gang to fuel my ego.

simple as that.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
I guess you are asking me that since you quoted me.  My response is, why are you asking me?  I thought I made it clear in a previous post that I could care less about folks that switch sides.  Means nada to me.  I was disagreeing with you about the reason why most of them switch.

Fred

True enough, everybody does things for their own reasons.  I can't disagree with you on that.

What I was disagreeing with was the behavior you describe rarely (if ever?) necessitates changing sides, and there are just as many chesspiece loyalists doing the same thing.

As to the question, it wasn't particularly directed at you.  It just seems to me rabid chesspiece loyalty is far more detrimental to gameplay than people switching sides for whatever reason.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »
True enough, everybody does things for their own reasons.  I can't disagree with you on that.

What I was disagreeing with was the behavior you describe rarely (if ever?) necessitates changing sides, and there are just as many chesspiece loyalists doing the same thing.

As to the question, it wasn't particularly directed at you.  It just seems to me rabid chesspiece loyalty is far more detrimental to gameplay than people switching sides for whatever reason.

Wiley.
Wiley.... its all about ego... people pay 15 bucks for their ego to be fueled... if chess piece loyalty gives them a sense of belonging then good for them. I agree with you that it is BS that some folks feel the need to project their egotistical needs on other players... but AH is based on being a zero sum game, so its not surprising. All the other 'excuses' listed in this thread are just rationalizations for the above statement, after all that is what humans do best....
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh :huh I pay 45.00  :O :O :O :O :O :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
:huh :huh :huh :huh I pay 45.00  :O :O :O :O :O :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

They charge never-nudes more?  :D

.... or are you done with that?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
I will disagree with you on this one.  There are notable exceptions, but from what I have seen over the years, it is opposite of what you stated.  Many of the side switchers I see are pickers who are looking for a large group of green so they can boom and zoom the red in obscurity.

Fred

This seems highly exaggerated to me! I've spent to much time as the lone green spec below a sea of red to believe this dribble.

JUGgler

Army of Muppets

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »
This seems highly exaggerated to me! I've spent to much time as the lone green spec below a sea of red to believe this dribble.

JUGgler

and I have spent too much time seeing the other.  I guess we are at a dribble stand-off.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »
no, it isnt.  most of the people who switch couldnt care less who wins a map or not, they just want to furball and get kills.  there's a portion that just switch to run with whoever is hording at the time when they can switch.

side switchers are less likely to defend a base or attack one, to some this means nothing as they will easily switch and be on the other side and be the attackers, if it is convenient to them.  they're less likely to resupply or bring bombers or goons unless trying to pad for "score".

what holds the game together are those who dont switch or squads that will stay in one country for a month.  they're the ones who create these fights when attacking other bases. side switchers just take advantage of them.

side switchers are only good for a few things in the game:   the constant whines about how they cant switch due to the time limit. and the lack of "good fights", meaning they want something started for them instead of creating it themselves.  and another "I switch to balance the sides" bs they're usually talking about.

to these side switchers whiners I say  :neener:

semp

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, but I agree 99%. Well said.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

It just seems to me rabid chesspiece loyalty is far more detrimental to gameplay than people switching sides for whatever reason.

Wiley.

Absolutely true.  Chess piece loyalty is one of the things that causes stagnation in the game.  The question shouldn't be "How can we keep people from switching?" but rather "How can we encourage more SQUADS to switch?"

I for one respect the squads that do monthly "tours" on different sides.  I'm certain that gives them a better perspective on the game and creates more friends instead of enemies.  The AK's are a good example of this -- I find they are fun to fly with and difficult to fly against, and I respect them because I get the opportunity to do both.

This is a war game after all (emphasis on GAME) not a real conflict.  I read someone's comment earlier in the thread about side switching in the context of the "real war".  That is simply ridiculous.  This is a game.  If we all thought of it more like a pickup football or basketball game, where you change up the sides from time to time, I think it would be a better game environment and a better community.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:43:42 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
Perhaps we could randomly shuffle the players each time the map resets, and put the 12hr side switch limit on from login. This would sort of force players to interact with each other, even if just for half a day.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"