Author Topic: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2  (Read 22035 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
I guess I feel satisfied enough to state that I find the Tu-2S to be a bit better than the A-20G in the anti-armor role. The main advantage is the lethality of the Tu-2's bomb load. Three 1,000 kilo bombs almost assures 3 kills. Four 500 kg bombs will usually get 4 kills. You simply don't require the precision needed with the A-20's 500 lb bombs. You can toss a 1,000 kg bomb near a Wirble and kill it, as opposed to having to put a 500 pounder close. Thus, you can drop from greater heights, reducing risk.

Air to air, it's probably a wash. The Tu-2 turns smaller circles, whereas the A-20G rolls much better. However, the A-20 can rip off wings much easier, and can't come close the Tu-2's dive speeds. In contrast, the A-20G is more maneuverable at medium speeds, because the Tu-2's controls really stiffen up above 300 mph. The A-20's concentrated 6 fifties are very effective against aircraft, nearly as effective as the Tu-2's two 20mm cannon. The greater firing duration of the A-20G means you can fighter longer. One must pay more attention to ammo use with with the Tu-2. I won't compare defensive guns, because I'll never fly either of these in a manner that would have me using the defensive guns. Both are vastly better served by maneuvering and dogfighting. That doesn't mean I won't use the Tu-2 for level bombing. It means that I'll never fly formations. At over 6,600 pounds of bombs (same as a Ju 88, but far faster and more maneuverable), a single Tu-2 carries more weight of bombs than a formation of Bostons, Bettys, or Ki-67s. That means it can kill a Cruiser, and still get 50% of the bomb total needed to sink a CV in one pass. After that, it can go to fighter mode and give a very good account of itself.

The Tu-2S is a great addition to the plane set....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »

6600lb
You are correct I was going on memory from one 15 minute look at it off line. I will go monkey around with it some more today. ;)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Here it is http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm

I thought I recognized it.

Just be wary that the chart you presented and what AH actually is are two different things.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
I guess I feel satisfied enough to state that I find the Tu-2S to be a bit better than the A-20G in the anti-armor role. The main advantage is the lethality of the Tu-2's bomb load. Three 1,000 kilo bombs almost assures 3 kills. Four 500 kg bombs will usually get 4 kills. You simply don't require the precision needed with the A-20's 500 lb bombs. You can toss a 1,000 kg bomb near a Wirble and kill it, as opposed to having to put a 500 pounder close. Thus, you can drop from greater heights, reducing risk.

Air to air, it's probably a wash. The Tu-2 turns smaller circles, whereas the A-20G rolls much better. However, the A-20 can rip off wings much easier, and can't come close the Tu-2's dive speeds. In contrast, the A-20G is more maneuverable at medium speeds, because the Tu-2's controls really stiffen up above 300 mph. The A-20's concentrated 6 fifties are very effective against aircraft, nearly as effective as the Tu-2's two 20mm cannon. The greater firing duration of the A-20G means you can fighter longer. One must pay more attention to ammo use with with the Tu-2. I won't compare defensive guns, because I'll never fly either of these in a manner that would have me using the defensive guns. Both are vastly better served by maneuvering and dogfighting. That doesn't mean I won't use the Tu-2 for level bombing. It means that I'll never fly formations. At over 6,600 pounds of bombs (same as a Ju 88, but far faster and more maneuverable), a single Tu-2 carries more weight of bombs than a formation of Bostons, Bettys, or Ki-67s. That means it can kill a Cruiser, and still get 50% of the bomb total needed to sink a CV in one pass. After that, it can go to fighter mode and give a very good account of itself.

What I like about your evaluations of aircraft in AH, Widewing, is how devoid of nationalism they are.  You report what the aircraft in the game actually does and how it actually compares with others with no favoritism.  Doesn't matter if it is Russian or American, German or Japanese.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »

You are right about lethality, 1000kg bomb=2200lbs, should kill any kind of gv, but are only 3 bombs; A20 can load 8x 500lbs , for this reason imop is still the best Gvs buster.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
You are right about lethality, 1000kg bomb=2200lbs, should kill any kind of gv, but are only 3 bombs; A20 can load 8x 500lbs , for this reason imop is still the best Gvs buster.
Two 1000kg bombs and four 250kg bombs.  That gets you six bombs, all of which are larger than the A-20G's, two of them very much larger.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline whata83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
3 x 1000kg bombs!!! Hehe let's cause some explosions!!!!  :joystick: :x
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »

Just got a chance to roll the Tupolev for the first time yesterday...... and WOW, yeh, great job HTC.

Very good speed, seems to hold e well.... bagged an La-7 and a Brewster yesterday after delivering all the ords I had brought in on GVs. I was light and had plenty of alt on them, and was able to rope them up as they tried to climb for me. Ammo load is light, but no reason it should stop you from bagging a few kills, the same load of 20mm's is enough for 4 or 5 in an La-5, so the same should be true for the Tu-2.

turn performance is better than I expected, I easily gained a co-alt 190F8's 6-o'clock in a turnfight after 3 reversals, but didn't notice the 110g that came in to save him.  :furious  Roll is slow but manageable, not bad for such a large aircraft.

2x500 and 4x250 is enough to clear a camped spawn very quickly as well.

I think I have a new favorite twin engined killer.  :devil
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
The TU-2 to me seems to be rather fragile from the attacker's perspective, for some reason I expected it to be able to take somewhat more punishment that it seems to be able to take.  Of the ones I've shot down, it's only taken a single burst to either catch it on fire or to remove a wing or tail.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
The TU-2 to me seems to be rather fragile from the attacker's perspective, for some reason I expected it to be able to take somewhat more punishment that it seems to be able to take.  Of the ones I've shot down, it's only taken a single burst to either catch it on fire or to remove a wing or tail.

ack-ack

Quite possible its just your excellent aim. I got attacked by a 190D, and the idiot probably went through half his ammo trying to kill me. Only managed to bring me down when I jumped to the bombsight, and he got a chance to saddle up on my 6 without me killing him.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:59 AM »
I'd say it was a tad undermodled damage-wise. I expected IL2 level damage. But...then again LW fighters with heavy cannon can take apart heavies pretty well so I dont think its a big issue. The TU2S really "feels" about right in all things.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
A single tater to a wing will shatter it, a tater to the top of the tail area shatters it, and a tater to the center of the fuselage/wing root lights the tanks on fire.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
A single tater to a wing will shatter it, a tater to the top of the tail area shatters it, and a tater to the center of the fuselage/wing root lights the tanks on fire.
Keep in mind how small it is.  Empty it is only slightly heavier than a Mosquito.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Keep in mind how small it is.  Empty it is only slightly heavier than a Mosquito.

Oh I'm well aware, and I'm certainly not complaining. The other day, I stumbled across an ET37 Tu-2 raid on A7 (I think?) on ndisles in my Ta-152. I had a 10k alt advantage, and bagged 7 Tu-2s and two others for a total of nine kills.