Author Topic: Why can AH planes climb when missing a wing by bank ing 90.....  (Read 5527 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
degrees and using full rudder?

Is the aces high fuselage a lifting body design and the rudder is able to apply enough force to bring the angle of attack sufficient to generate enough lift to cause a positive rate of climb?

Surely not.

Why can we climb these planes missing a wing by banking 90 degrees and using the rudder?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Why can AH planes climb when missing a wing by bank ing 90.....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Because the flight model isn't perfect.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
The graphic of the missing half wing and the portion modeled as missing in the flight model can be two very different things.  That means the visual damage can be far more severe than the damage modeled in the flight model.

The graphic of your plane is just an avatar.  It isn't actually involved in the flight calculations at all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »

Is the aces high fuselage a lifting body design and the rudder is able to apply enough force to bring the angle of attack sufficient to generate enough lift to cause a positive rate of climb?

Surely not.

Why can we climb these planes missing a wing by banking 90 degrees and using the rudder?

If you bank 90 degrees you cannot hold level flight. Seems unlikely you can climb. Post the film.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
Ok, I didn't fully read the OP.  Mea culpa.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »

Surely not.

There's a video on Youtube of someone doing exactly that with an RC.  I can't remember how they broke the wing off but once it was gone the guy rolled it 90 degrees and had complete control bringing it down.

Not saying it should work in a WWII fighter but just saying it's evidently a possibility to "flip" your control surfaces like that.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
That RC plane is using the fact that he has a 2 to 1 thrust vs weight ratio and applying said thrust to counter gravity.

The airframe is not generating the lift, the prop is.

No need to post the film since most here have achieved positive rate of climb using rudder at one part of thier eventual auger because they are missing a wing.

Columbo is correct and I believe the effectiveness of rudder is the hardest thing to model here.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
Film would likely show a ballistic flight path, like a real aircraft. Or you can just make stuff up and say no film is required.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
Just fire up the sim and do it yourself......it's not hard.

Get a wing shot off and you will eventually reach an airspeed where you can temporarily achieve a rate of climb............from having been in a descent shortly before.

That is not "ballistic".

Heck....in warbirds 2, I could fly a zero home 2 sectors and land without a wing.

I'm addressing this because I believe our rudder authority acts strangely and missing a wing is not the only place where it's modeling issues show up.

I "discussed" this with a few guys, some who claimed cfii in the arena and you wouldn't believe the answers they gave.............Yes saved to film.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:25:45 PM by icepac »

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
I have never been able to do anything but crash with a wing missing regardless of what I done, even opening the canopy and flapping my arm on the missing side doesn't work, half a wing is different. Lets see the film you have saved then.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
Just fire up the sim and do it yourself......it's not hard.

Get a wing shot off and you will eventually reach an airspeed where you can temporarily achieve a rate of climb............from having been in a descent shortly before.

That is not "ballistic".

Heck....in warbirds 2, I could fly a zero home 2 sectors and land without a wing.

I'm addressing this because I believe our rudder authority acts strangely and missing a wing is not the only place where it's modeling issues show up.

I "discussed" this with a few guys, some who claimed cfii in the arena and you wouldn't believe the answers they gave.............Yes saved to film.

What you describe, descending to build speed for a ballistic climb, sounds completely reasonable. If you are convinced it's a bug you know where to post it.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
What you describe, descending to build speed for a ballistic climb, sounds completely reasonable.

:huh

You and your blatant misuse of terminology!  :lol :aok

Ballistic climb as silly as saying the plane is falling upwards.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 02:04:18 AM »
... their eventual auger.

No crisis. Move along.  :D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:08:58 AM »
:huh

You and your blatant misuse of terminology!  :lol :aok

Ballistic climb as silly as saying the plane is falling upwards.

Ballistic refers to moving by momentum, which, the aircraft thrust being insufficient, is exactly what icepac is describing.

Ballistic is from the greek work for throw. Ballistic climb is as "silly" as saying the plane is thrown upwards.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:47:33 AM »
Ballistic climb is an actual term, it means zoom climb.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck