Author Topic: need advise on 7.1 sound card  (Read 10236 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: need advise on 7.1 sound card
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
  People who think there is no difference between a $2.00 audio chip and a $950 audio card have no need for that high end card.

We both know that would not be a good solution for AH.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 02:10:39 AM »
Uh, no. More evidence that you do not understand specialized technology. There is a reason you buy an Xe drive over an SSD. Similarly, there is a reason you buy a specialized sound card over a motherboard with an extra sound chip on it. But, there are many humans that are just tone deaf and that will never understand. It doesn't make sense for a color blind person to be a color coordinator, so I never will understand why you continue to offer opinions on hardware.

Sure, enlighten me then. Since modern SSDs are superior to your Xe drives in every fathomable way I'm really interested in hearing your arguments.

Edit: Some food for thought: http://www.wired.com/2012/06/flash-data-centers/all/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:38:27 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 02:22:44 AM »
 Yes the Levinson can weld metal and melt your face at the same time,I've listen to several levinson amp and any of them would be overkill for most homes!

I was invited to a VIP demo of a new projector system for the home a few weeks ago,the complete system was just north of 180 grand! :O but you could get any screen size that would fit your room and it did come with complementary theater seats and a popcorn machine. It was using a "Valve" Macintosh amp assembly and the speakers were various,depending on the room.

I have to suffer with an older integra amp,it only has 3 valves but it's considered a hybred design.Personally I dont like electrostatic speakers,maybe I've never heard the "right" ones but they always seem to lack bottom end and the ultra highs,which I cant hear anymore used to sound tinny to me. Yes I know a good sub will take care of the bottom but I've never seen a electrosub!   My integra runs and even old pair,ya only a pair of castle speakers which can cause you to loose your hearing!  I did have a pair of EV's but once I had a kid running around I had to move the speakers up out of reach and the EV's at about 100 lbs were just to big!

Besides my son actually poked on of the mids and that was about a 350$ lesson!

I picked up a thorens at an auction for too cheap.... and use a stanton cartridge,the thorens is all manual,the cheapy but still one of the nicest turntables for the price!

Every once in awhile I listen to Zack play drums...ya I have the vapours on vinyl! :devil

As for sound cards.....bla   I cant listen to music thats played on a computer!

:salute

I also wouldn't invest into a computer gaming sound card. If I wanted to build a PC for music it would use a high-end non-gaming sound card. Currently I'm using my Macbook pro with a USB DAC although the MBP and the iPhone do a pretty good job playing straight from the jack too.

I have Electro-Voice ELX112P:s for outdoor party / garden listening by the way. My mobile party set has a combined output power of 4,5 kilowatts :) I can host even a large party easily.

If the ESL you've listened has lacked also TOP end  :O were you perhaps listening to the legendary Quad63's? They're quoted as the worlds finest mid-range speakers :D

Usually ESLs have extremely high quality high frequency response due to the operating method. But you need to sit absolutely in the sweet spot because you can hear the highs only direcly in front of the panel. Cheap ESLs are actually usually overbright because they lack the active correction required. A good ESL will have a shelving EQ circuit to correct the dipole roll-off and suck out the panel resonance bump. Also the size of the panel matters a lot, small curved ESLs I don't like either. For example Martin Logans smaller models - I can't stand them. Not directive enough and you can hear the muddy bass because theyre hybrid. Full range ESL (the size of a barn door) and a good dipole or kardioid sub is the way to go. Also transmission line bass is said to be excellent with ESLs but they're very bulky.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »
We both know that would not be a good solution for AH.

Just to make sure, you sure you understood what lack of OpenAL support meant? That audio is processed in software, not hardware when playing AH? The C-media chip based Xonar (in case it uses Xear3D EX) has drivers that create a completely transparent OpenAL support which in theory at least, should enable hardware acceleration also with Aces High. Creative has not developed the Alchemy anymore because they don't see software processing as a problem with current multi-core cpus. That's why their list of supported games has been stale for years.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:44:03 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »
I also wouldn't invest into a computer gaming sound card. If I wanted to build a PC for music it would use a high-end non-gaming sound card. C

but all I asked was for a sound card that would use my 7.1 tianam set.

and  I got a good lead.  wasnt the best but it was the best I could afford.  did I need a sound card?  probably no more than the ssd's you have been pushing.

end result I got a sound card i am ok with. as I get some more ot I will get the better sound card.  but I will keep my motherboard as it wil be less expensive.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2014, 02:52:24 AM »
but all I asked was for a sound card that would use my 7.1 tianam set.

and  I got a good lead.  wasnt the best but it was the best I could afford.  did I need a sound card?  probably no more than the ssd's you have been pushing.

end result I got a sound card i am ok with. as I get some more ot I will get the better sound card.  but I will keep my motherboard as it wil be less expensive.

semp

Yes you're right I took it completely off topic I'm sorry. I would just recommend you to stay away from the Z-series mid-range models that have the extrernal control panel (due to the reports of degraded quality). You save money a lot by getting the basic version and plug directly to the card for 7.1.

edit: so it was a headset. Yes, then the card quality can make a big difference, especially the possible lack of a proper headphone amplifier. Razer used to have a list of recommended sound cards on the Tiamat site but it has been pulled for some reason. Some googling gave many references to the Xonar cards (especially Phoebus) which people had been very happy with.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:21:20 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2014, 03:58:16 AM »
Yes

I have a SB recon 3d card which i never used until i got my new headphones.

The G35  was usb and was simulated, in fact they are very nice for music and films.

G35 are not good enough for a flight sim game in regards to location of sounds, my new headphones reproduce in game sounds in the correct position

The Roccat Kave headphones are analogue which is a bit misleading, how can they be when they are plugging into a chip based board which is essential made up of micropressors.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:35 AM »
Yes

I have a SB recon 3d card which i never used until i got my new headphones.

The G35  was usb and was simulated, in fact they are very nice for music and films.

G35 are not good enough for a flight sim game in regards to location of sounds, my new headphones reproduce in game sounds in the correct position

The Roccat Kave headphones are analogue which is a bit misleading, how can they be when they are plugging into a chip based board which is essential made up of micropressors.

It's not misleading because there is a digital to analog conversion in between the headset and the card. If the headset would have its own usb sound card, it would be 'digital'.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2014, 04:21:05 AM »
Yes but the conversion is a data conversion of digital information on a chip.

Is it the same a a microphone/guitar electrical signal being sent through a non microprocessor amplifier?

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
Yes but the conversion is a data conversion of digital information on a chip.

Is it the same a a microphone/guitar electrical signal being sent through a non microprocessor amplifier?

The headphones are analog if they accept analog signal. The preceding signal chain does not count in the definition in any way. Your whole signal chain would need to be analog in your way of thinking, banning the use of mp3, cd etc. players and recording audio to tapes or vinyl. Or wax cylinders  :lol

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »
So analogue audio input on a chip based amplifier is not affect in any manner?.

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
So analogue audio input on a chip based amplifier is not affect in any manner?.

I don't follow you. If you mean an amp with digital signal processing then the analog signal will get converted to digital and then back to analog after processing, for amplification. An amplifier can be 'chip' based without being digital. The whole back-end of a power amplifier can be one integrated circuit as often is in the cheaper amplifiers. It works analog not digital however.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
The "degrading sound quality of my zX" is as incorrect as my power supply being inferior. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2014, 01:01:33 PM »
See Rule #4, #2
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:36:09 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:36:19 PM by Skuzzy »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC