Author Topic: Player and plane roster...  (Read 31508 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Player and plane roster...
« Reply #465 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
I looked back a couple years and I was hitting 20% with an average of 700-1000 kills a month. I can't dream of pulling numbers off like this anymore.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:11:25 PM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #466 on: April 10, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »
I looked back a couple years and I was hitting 20% with an average of 700-1000 kills a month. I can't dream of pulling numbers off like this anymore.

I don't understand how anyone could ever get a number so high anyway.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #467 on: April 10, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
I don't understand how anyone could ever get a number so high anyway.
Kills or Hit%?

Both reflected how how "The Few DFC" in conjunction with "The Few" worked. I have screen shots of 15 of us and we all landed more than 5kills, some were more than 10. Playing "rope a dope" was the name of the game. Just a continues circle of someone pulling s couple guys straight up to be killed. Short quick accurate bursts made it most effective.

I miss the old days sometimes. :/
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #468 on: April 11, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
Kills or Hit%?

Both reflected how how "The Few DFC" in conjunction with "The Few" worked. I have screen shots of 15 of us and we all landed more than 5kills, some were more than 10. Playing "rope a dope" was the name of the game. Just a continues circle of someone pulling s couple guys straight up to be killed. Short quick accurate bursts made it most effective.

I miss the old days sometimes. :/

I would say hit%. I can get maybe 500-600 kills a month but during those times when more people played I could see people getting more kills. But hit% that's what I don't see how anyone could just do it.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #469 on: April 11, 2015, 12:13:58 AM »
I would say hit%. I can get maybe 500-600 kills a month but during those times when more people played I could see people getting more kills. But hit% that's what I don't see how anyone could just do it.
If you out the hours in a month that i used to you could do it.   :)
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2015, 12:29:37 AM »
You would have a tough time convincing someone that Grizz (.28), Fester (.265+) and Kappa (.22+) were shooting non-cannon birds.  In fact Grizz flew the K4 mostly but it was always a tater plane and Fester preferred the same.  I'm sure Kappa will come along shortly to correct any statements I make falsely on his behalf but I believe he's a German iron guy 50%+ of the time.  Of course this is all verifiable in the stats area.

You can look at it the other way:  Cannon rounds produce a higher rate of statistical accuracy because when they hit they do much more damage. No need to hold the trigger down as with .50s because they take more rounds to do the same damage (accelerating your opportunity for miss%)as cannons.  A great example is 2cmex.  Cannon guy all the way and his hit % suffered when he spent a few months in the 38J and K4 but when he plays regularly, he's easily in the .13+ and has been for years.

I'd love to see Lusche compare the cannon guys vs. the non-cannon guys.  I bet its not very close.

You're comparing pilot skill of pilots who are proficient with cannons. Unless a pilot has 100% accuracy, cannons result in inherently lower accuracy due to the absolute ratio of misses vs maximum hits that an aircraft can take before it's down.

Put another way, pilots with the same level of accuracy will typically find gun solutions within the same timeframe, regardless of whether or not they're using cannons or machine guns. This always results in some small level of missing. However, since cannons do more damage, they hit the target less once the guns are "on target" because the target simply can't absorb as many cannon rounds as it can machine gun rounds before it goes down. Therefore, you end up with a lower ratio of hits to misses with cannons, given the same pilot skill. It's really just simple mathematics.

This doesn't account for someone who's better with shooting one ammo type over another, but that's not really the discussion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:55:00 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
If you out the hours in a month that i used to you could do it.   :)

:D
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »
A person shooting 303s is going to have a better hit percentage then a person shooting Tators......person shooting 303s is probably going to have a terrible K/D though :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2015, 01:09:55 AM »
A person shooting 303s is going to have a better hit percentage then a person shooting Tators......person shooting 303s is probably going to have a terrible K/D though :aok

It's really just simple mathematics.  :D

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2015, 01:55:30 AM »

not necessarily.... :aok

if he has crappy aim his hit% will suck ;)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #475 on: April 11, 2015, 03:07:02 AM »
lets not forget buff killing transforms any hit %,   people like Lusche would even sacrifice KPH  :eek: for some juicy buff kills, many more rounds fired, many more hitting causing damage. 

Anyone who can get >15% on purely fighters I'll tip my hat to.  50 cal is best for it IMO. 

Of course excellent shooting is all about patience, discipline and the force. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #476 on: April 11, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »
I am bait. And I am good at it  :cheers:

The Few GFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »
lets not forget buff killing transforms any hit %,   people like Lusche would even sacrifice KPH  :eek: for some juicy buff kills,

High alt buff hunting has it's price. And by the way, score wise the increased hit % doesn't make up for the loss off k/h when you are going after 30k+ bombers ;)

---------------------------------------------

As noted before, on an individual level your hit% can be influenced significantly (to a certain point*) by choice of weapons and targets. But it has also to be noted that simply chosing a 30mm tater tosser or a 0.50cal lazer doesn't make your hit % good or bad... it's what you are doing with.

If you are using the mk 108 for dogfighting and the 0.50 for hunting bombers, your hit% will be significantly higher than if you were using the 0.50 for dogfighting and the MK 108 for buff killing. A result of 'volume of fire' and individual hit probablilities. ALso cannon birds increase your hit% when vulching, as the splash damage registers as "hit" even at near misses.

That being said, the distribution of hit% is being quite stable on the arena level.
In last tour, it was about this:

(sample: all pilots with at least 10 sorties in fighter mode)

The median hit% was 3.55 (means 50% of all pilots were below and 50% were above that line)
20.6% had a hit% of 4 or better
9.3% had a hit% of 6 or better
4.2% had a hit% of 8 or better
2.0% had a hit% of 10 or better

*) everything has it's limits. A bad (or even just 'average') shot won't get 20% hit percentage even when shooting at bombers. As a frequent buff flyer myself I see loads of fighters almost entirely missing my bombers from D600 while wildly spraying their lead all over my formation. They maybe get 5% hits where a good, disciplined shooter would land 20%-40%
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:10:28 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #478 on: April 13, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
I have a hard time with 50s because they just don't do any damage and I have to shoot a lot of bullets to take the plane down. I see a ton of bullets hitting the plane, but also many bullets are missing. This causes me to have trouble with a good hit % with the 50s

If you're having troubles shooting a plane down using .50 calibers, the problem is that you're not hitting at the convergence point.  It's a pure myth that the .50 caliber machine guns on planes don't do any damage.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #479 on: April 13, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Machine guns are about volume.
See Rule #4