Author Topic: collision model  (Read 23913 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
You're missing the point.  Fights happen on at least 2 computers. You and the bandit. Collisions happen on one or both of the computers. When the collision happens on both computers you get the normal real world results you expect. When the collision only happens on one computer the results may seem wrong but they aren't.  That's why there are two collision messages, they aren't telling you who is at fault, the messages simply tell you which computer recorded a collision.

So how does this apply to gunnery?  Do both computers need to agree that "hits" occurred to cause damage?    :headscratch:
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
So how does this apply to gunnery?  Do both computers need to agree that "hits" occurred to cause damage?    :headscratch:

Whether you're colliding with someone or shooting at someone, it depends on what is seen on your end.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
Whether you're colliding with someone or shooting at someone, it depends on what is seen on your end.

Wrong.

While a collision is dictated by what your computer detects, gunnery is dictated by the shooter's computer. If his computer shows you in his sights, and he shoots, and his computer detects hits, those hits are sent to your computer where your game front-end applies the results.

Have you ever been in the situation where someone got hits on you when you thought, "there is no way he had a gun solution on me."?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:32:58 AM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
Wrong.

While a collision is dictated by what your computer detects, gunnery is dictated by the shooter's computer. If his computer shows you in his sights, and he shoots, and his computer detects hits, those hits are sent to your computer where your game front-end applies the results.

Have you ever been in the situation where someone got hits on you when you thought, "there is no way he had a gun solution on me."?

Which is exactly what I just said, in simpler terms.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
yes I have looked at the pictures and read what all was typed.  I am not saying I don't accept it because that's the best you can do right now, I am saying it sucks again when like last night a la7 comes screaming in I am diving away to the right and BAM "YOU HAVE COLLIDED" pops up and all kinds of important stuff comes off my plane.  again I was diving "away" from the said la7 he was coming in above and to the left, he flies away untouched and I go down cussing said la  :bhead :bhead.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »
yes I have looked at the pictures and read what all was typed.  I am not saying I don't accept it because that's the best you can do right now, I am saying it sucks again when like last night a la7 comes screaming in I am diving away to the right and BAM "YOU HAVE COLLIDED" pops up and all kinds of important stuff comes off my plane.  again I was diving "away" from the said la7 he was coming in above and to the left, he flies away untouched and I go down cussing said la  :bhead :bhead.

Yes, it does suck and I have had this happen to me before as well. However, there is nothing wrong with the collision model.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
Maybe they should change the message to "There was a collision in XXX's universe" "There was a collision in your universe"
Pies not kicks.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
If you are complaining about the collision model then you do not understand it.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

Objects in your rear view are closer than they appear!

Because you shoot at the bandit on your PC and the bandit shoots at you on their PC, lag works to your advantage when offensive and against you when defensive. This is because lag puts you behind your current position on the bandit's PC and puts the bandit behind their current position on your PC.

This means you have a better shot than the bandit sees you having when you have the offense and the bandit has a better shot than you see when you are defensive. When it looks like the bandit almost has a shot he probably already has you lined up.

Since you shoot at the bandit on your PC, the hits are recorded on your PC and sent to the bandit's PC. The bandit's PC only determines hits from the bandit's guns, which are then sent to you.

Guess who's PC controls the ack that shoots you down?   :devil

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
Ok, let's ask it this way...

Would you rather rely upon your controller inputs directly affecting the flight of your plane, and have the collision model we have? This is a client-side game where data from your controller directly affects your flight, and your data is passed through the central server to the other players.

Or

Would you rather rely upon your connection to the central server where your inputs are sent to the server before your plane's controls are affected, and have the server determine if two planes collided? This is a server-side game where your plane's flight is determined by whether the server received your control input, and then sends the data to you and the other players.

Personally, I would rather be in direct control of the flight of my plane. I tried a server-side game, and was immediately put off it when my plane continued to fly into the ground because I lost control of it when the sever connection had a hiccup and it failed to see my controller inputs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:04:49 AM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
Objects in your rear view are closer than they appear!

Because you shoot at the bandit on your PC and the bandit shoots at you on their PC, lag works to your advantage when offensive and against you when defensive. This is because lag puts you behind your current position on the bandit's PC and puts the bandit behind their current position on your PC.

This means you have a better shot than the bandit sees you having when you have the offense and the bandit has a better shot than you see when you are defensive. When it looks like the bandit almost has a shot he probably already has you lined up.

Since you shoot at the bandit on your PC, the hits are recorded on your PC and sent to the bandit's PC. The bandit's PC only determines hits from the bandit's guns, which are then sent to you.

Guess who's PC controls the ack that shoots you down?   :devil

Does that apply to taters as well?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2017, 05:44:31 AM »
Does that apply to taters as well?

It applies to everything you shoot or drop from your aircraft.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
ok, so explain how I'm in auto climb went to get a pbj samich and milk, return 7 min later and as I sit down a p47 comes screaming in flys through me and I'm in auto climb straight and level, and "you have collided" appears in the text buffer.  my wing is missing and the 47 never fired a shot.  so I go down the 47 flys away to see him land 2 kills 5 min later and I ruin my pbj samich.  that does not make sense.  I get a lot of collides, never ever intentional except the c47 thing. is mine internet just that much faster?  or is it that much slower?  why is it fair that I am penalized if it is faster?  that collision was a true incident (except the samich) happened last Thursday night if I remember right.  maybe I don't grasp how this is working but I am sure I am not that bad of a flyer, also it takes more than one to collide.

In your case it is simply that the interwebs hates you and was jealous of your pbj sammich. By causing the collision and thus ruining your sammich experience the interwebs wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
In your case it is simply that the interwebs hates you and was jealous of your pbj sammich. By causing the collision and thus ruining your sammich experience the interwebs wins.

Russians, its the Russians for sure.  why hate a man with a good pbj samich.  maybe it was hoagie jealous of the traditional anglo saxon samich.
I got a good laugh out of that be  :x :x
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
You and I collided yesterday.  I was using VR which gives me a very large view.  By my view, we missed each other.  I was going straight in a dive and you turning away to avoid my shot and a collision.  I got the collision notice and you got the kill.

Do you remember what you saw on your screen.  I was in a 38 and you were in a yak.