Author Topic: New GV dar  (Read 42775 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: New GV dar
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
I still say, the way the majority of people are playing now days avoiding any combat, bailing at the first sign of adversity, changing where an attack is going because there's defenders...  hiding and spawn camping to show how 1337 your skills are etc... that we need a co-op arena with drones that only do loops like the offline arena so all the guys can get together, club seals, sneak bases without opposition, and avoid combat at all costs while still looking cool to their buddies.

I think this would solve all the current complaints.

Close.  The drones need to attempt to take off and try to shoot at people, but with really poor accuracy so at worst you might lose an aileron or flap, but nothing that will actually stop them from being able to take the base like a fuel leak or pilot wound.  They also need to have a few people monitoring the other side to send the players the occasional rage PM posing as one of the drones to make sure they feel good about themselves, also they need to rage on 200 about how awesome and unstoppable the skills of the human team are as they take the drone-"defended" bases.

Pretty sure that'd keep most of the stealth players happy.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
I still say, the way the majority of people are playing now days avoiding any combat, bailing at the first sign of adversity, changing where an attack is going because there's defenders...  hiding and spawn camping to show how 1337 your skills are etc... that we need a co-op arena with drones that only do loops like the offline arena so all the guys can get together, club seals, sneak bases without opposition, and avoid combat at all costs while still looking cool to their buddies.

AH II was a far better game.........than the arcade thing we have now.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2017, 11:22:50 AM »
I applaud Hitech for making changes. Are they all good? maybe not, but they are all geared toward making it easier to find action.

The new generation of gamers want instant action. The start up videos are "in your face" because everyone knows the newbies are not going to look for them. The new mouse controls are to make it easier for a newb without a stick fly or drive in the game. The new Dar is to make it easier to find GVs so the newbies can get some instant action.

If it helps to keep new players I'm ok with adapting to some changes.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »

The same could be said for the Air Jocks who wanted a GV radar because they are too lazy to get out of their planes and fight us on the ground....instead you impede the GV'er. Keep it up and tank town is going to look like a ghost town.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »
I applaud Hitech for making changes. Are they all good? maybe not, but they are all geared toward making it easier to find action.

The new generation of gamers want instant action. The start up videos are "in your face" because everyone knows the newbies are not going to look for them. The new mouse controls are to make it easier for a newb without a stick fly or drive in the game. The new Dar is to make it easier to find GVs so the newbies can get some instant action.

If it helps to keep new players I'm ok with adapting to some changes.

Keep new player from where? and fun for who...........?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
Testing the AI during the beta, those AI at times had me on 200 asking who the vet was hiding in the pack, there was only me in the roster. I've run into AI that would eat some of this generations vets who don't want to fight. I tested a giant bomber mission over Europe AI war with so many AI fighters ranging around the giant bomber stream that I thought I was in an FSO. And I got chased out of the sky by AI 109's I thought were muppets. Once again I was the only human in the roster.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
The same could be said for the Air Jocks who wanted a GV radar because they are too lazy to get out of their planes and fight us on the ground....instead you impede the GV'er. Keep it up and tank town is going to look like a ghost town.

Nah, I'll just up an IL2 or Jabbo and shoot you the old fashioned way from the air like I've always done.  I haven't needed dar in the past and won't need it now.   :airplane: :old:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
Something maybe a side note or maybe the root of the Ground Vehicle  "imbalance" in AH3.  The terrains are FULL of trees and barriers to restrict visibility.  The best way for success is to position vehicle in a "sniper" location nearest to a spawn or town or base and sit quietly.

Terrains (all terrains, regardless of their size) are huge in terms of places that a vehicle may go.  Without some sort of aid, either in icon range, visibility, or the GV dar, the chances in locating a menacing threat becomes a lesson in futility way too often.

Why not have impregnable forests or swamps instead, to funnel the traffic through more lightly forested routes.  This should open up the possibilities for larger and quicker battles.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Testing the AI during the beta, those AI at times had me on 200 asking who the vet was hiding in the pack, there was only me in the roster. I've run into AI that would eat some of this generations vets who don't want to fight. I tested a giant bomber mission over Europe AI war with so many AI fighters ranging around the giant bomber stream that I thought I was in an FSO. And I got chased out of the sky by AI 109's I thought were muppets. Once again I was the only human in the roster.

Yeah but they can also turn them down to "numpty".

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Keep new player from where? and fun for who...........?

in another thread Hitech posted. that in the last 100 days there have been 40,000 downloads of the game, 20,000 of them actually logged in and in the first 30 minutes on line 75% of them quit never to return.

The game needs to be a bit more user friendly for this new generation.  Tactics and strategies is what is going to the challenge back into the game. It's up to use to figure these new tricks out leaving the ease of start up for the new guys

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
Something maybe a side note or maybe the root of the Ground Vehicle  "imbalance" in AH3.  The terrains are FULL of trees and barriers to restrict visibility.  The best way for success is to position vehicle in a "sniper" location nearest to a spawn or town or base and sit quietly.

Terrains (all terrains, regardless of their size) are huge in terms of places that a vehicle may go.  Without some sort of aid, either in icon range, visibility, or the GV dar, the chances in locating a menacing threat becomes a lesson in futility way too often.

Why not have impregnable forests or swamps instead, to funnel the traffic through more lightly forested routes.  This should open up the possibilities for larger and quicker battles.

The reason why not is because it would be a painstakingly long process to perfect just ONE route from a spawn to one base.... now multiply that by 100 spawn points at 50 other fields, then times 3 countries. The amount of time it takes would mean no map ever gets added to the game. Then if there's any changes to tilesets or objects that might impact the terrain, the time to QA each and every existing map to make sure any impacts were acceptable would take hundreds of man hours and notes just to look at an existing map!

Ideally it would be cool to have something like Karelia where you have water passings that must use bridges to cross -- allowing you to risk getting bogged in the marsh crossings if the bridge is bombed out or if there's a tank guarding the bottleneck (aka the bridge) on the other side. Give good cause for players to take LvTs so they could cross water hazards without needing that bridge.

But that was a long time ago and that map is no longer usable in AH. To re-create something like that would take years of personal sacrifice and most of it would go unappreciated or even unused.

That's basically why-not. Takes too much time and effort on a massive scale to pull that kind of thing off.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »

The reason why not is because it would be a painstakingly long process to perfect just ONE route from a spawn to one base.... now multiply that by 100 spawn points at 50 other fields, then times 3 countries. The amount of time it takes would mean no map ever gets added to the game. Then if there's any changes to tilesets or objects that might impact the terrain, the time to QA each and every existing map to make sure any impacts were acceptable would take hundreds of man hours and notes just to look at an existing map!

Ideally it would be cool to have something like Karelia where you have water passings that must use bridges to cross -- allowing you to risk getting bogged in the marsh crossings if the bridge is bombed out or if there's a tank guarding the bottleneck (aka the bridge) on the other side. Give good cause for players to take LvTs so they could cross water hazards without needing that bridge.

But that was a long time ago and that map is no longer usable in AH. To re-create something like that would take years of personal sacrifice and most of it would go unappreciated or even unused.

That's basically why-not. Takes too much time and effort on a massive scale to pull that kind of thing off.

Hell of a price to pay for eye candy......

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: GV DAR
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
want easier gc v gv or ac v gv. simple.........less trees.

The world is coming to an end - I agree with RB  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Yeah.... I mean in WW2 you had to use your ears and had HOURS of warning as they clunked and clanked over the horizon. You'd see dust trails for miles behind them narrowing to a tiny point indicating exactly where they were, and then confirming that with a black smoke exhaust coming from the engine compartment. I mean, they were 10 ton tanks that were so loud people knew were they were any time they were ever in use, and they could never stand up to air power -- hence why the Germans, the yanks, the US, just about EVERYBODY that flew over battlegrounds that had armored tanks developed planes to KILL said tanks.

But.. I mean.. sure.. make them invisible. Pretend that they can have an effect on others without others having an effect on them.

Fighter planes kept you safe, not stealth. You were a target. Get in, get your job done, and get out. You linger, you die. Or get a friend or two to fly in your area and shoot any heavy, lumbering planes with bombs down before they get to you.

Ya.........tell that to the troops at the battle of the bulge with all the warning they had.....not

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »
radar was lowered to what we have today because of all the people "hiding" from a fight by running NOE all the time. Now we have GVs making it the top tactic to "hide" all the time parked in the trees and bushes.

So we get something to make it easier to find GVs.

They put the trees there to make it harder for GV's to maneuver on the map and it came back to bite them in the (you know what) get rid of some of the trees add the convoys and trains back.........like in AH II. Will some one explain how this radar and gv icons have helped improve the game..........how.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:00:29 PM by Dundee »