Author Topic: My opinion on your test  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: My opinion on your test
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »
When was the last time you saw 1000 players?  Ever?  In a month?   At one time or over 30 days?

Your'e dreaming in technicolor, bruh.

So you're saying there are 55 subscribers?  Who's not dealing with reality?  Rank in a category you don't play gives you a general ballpark idea how many people are around.  Last I checked it is a shade over 1000.  Just checked it now I'm showing 753.  Okay.

We had 55 players in the arena (if that) and managed to get 15 of them to go elsewhere to have an absolute ball.   The rest were hiding from each other taking unopposed bases.  Yawn.

And those 55 players would have done what, exactly if your super special arena settings were in the Melee?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
You just don't get it...   SMH.

Oh please do enlighten me.  If people are starving for the secret recipe of arena settings during low times that will save the game, why will they not flock to a location that provides it?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
So you're saying there are 55 subscribers?  Who's not dealing with reality?

YOU.

You have an arena that has maybe 55 players in it and you're going on about 1000...    15/55 = 27% of Active Players for that Snapshot.  That's significant.

55/1000 = 0.0000027% of the total (or 99.9999972997 who are nowhere to be seen, ANYWHERE)

And those 55 players would have done what, exactly if your super special arena settings were in the Melee?

Wiley.

Provided hours of fun for nearly a third of the active population.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
Oh please do enlighten me.  If people are starving for the secret recipe of arena settings during low times that will save the game, why will they not flock to a location that provides it?

Wiley.

Because that's not how it works.  The MPA is popular because that's where everyone goes.   AvA was popular in WBs--until it wasn't.   People go where the numbers are.  If the MPA was a two-sided map with three bases per side that's where everyone would go, and your 300-base three-sided custom arena would be a ghost town.

That said, we grabbed almost a third of the arena, so obviously our idea DOES work.

Is that enough enlightenment for you, or are you just going to dig in on your contrarian position?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:51:50 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
Because that's not how it works.  The MPA is popular because that's where everyone goes.   AvA was popular in WBs--until it wasn't.   People go where the numbers are.  If the MPA was a two-sided map with three bases per side that's where everyone would go, and your 300-base three-sided custom arena would be a ghost town.

That said, we grabbed almost a third of the arena, so obviously our idea DOES work.

Is that enough enlightenment for you, or are you just going to dig in on your contrarian position?

According to you guys, different settings and a 2 sided war would save the game.

When the Melee has less people than the max a private arena would support, please explain why they would not go to an arena that can handle that number of people if the settings were superior.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »
According to you guys, different settings and a 2 sided war would save the game.

When the Melee has less people than the max a private arena would support, please explain why they would not go to an arena that can handle that number of people if the settings were superior.

Wiley.

Utterly irrelevant.

However, we were at 94% of capacity while the MPA was at 4%.

:D

(People don't go to Private Arenas they go to the MPA where they know that by tradition the largest number of players are usually found.   For us to pull that off was quite a feat, IMO.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:59:24 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
Oh no the host can fly, but you can only leave the arena for a really short period - enough to announce but you are stuck in your own arena all day. Which is fine if other people arrive too.
The arena stays open as long as someone is in it. It dos'nt need to be the hoster.

HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
Utterly irrelevant.

However, we were at 94% of capacity while the MPA was at 4%.

Derp.

People don't go to Private Arenas they go to the MPA, so for us to pull that off was quite a feat, IMO.
Think you guys are talking PAST eachother. Wiley's point is-It was only a 1 time deal, in AvA. Hard to form a CONCRETE this is preferred... conclusion. Sure folk go where the numbers are, HUMAN NATURE. Now IF you guys could duplicate those first results on a regular basis...the NOW you have proofed you hypothesis. Dont make it personal guys...we are divided enough, Please :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »
Think you guys are talking PAST eachother. Wiley's point is-It was only a 1 time deal, in AvA. Hard to form a CONCRETE this is preferred... conclusion. Sure folk go where the numbers are, HUMAN NATURE. Now IF you guys could duplicate those first results on a regular basis...the NOW you have proofed you hypothesis. Dont make it personal guys...we are divided enough, Please :uhoh

We will never be able to do it on a regular basis (but I will certainly be there every time I know about it).   Heck, even FSO is having problems.

Hitech needs to create action to feed more action which will grab subscribers.   Yet the one time he tried to do this there was a near-revolt that killed it off before it even started.

When the base/player ratio is 4:1 instead of 1:4 you are going to dilute the action.   It can't be helped.  Sadly most of the players seem to prefer this to the detriment of all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:04:51 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
 :aok
The arena stays open as long as someone is in it. It dos'nt need to be the hoster.

HiTech
Quit laughing at me :uhoh I am just slow..I will understand in time  :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
We will never be able to do it on a regular basis.   Heck, even FSO is having problems.

Hitech needs to create action to feed more action which will grab subscribers.   Yet the one time he tried to do this there was a near-revolt that killed it off before it even started.

When the base/player ratio is 4:1 instead of 1:4 you are going to dilute the action.   It can't be helped.
I meant like one day a week, not all the time. Just like last time. Yes, it would dilute...BUT IF IT TOOK HOLD and was seen as positive direction, it could be incorporated into the MA. A lot easier as it will have been proofed?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
Utterly irrelevant.

No, it's not.  If people are miserable and you provide them an alternative that allegedly will work with low numbers, they will go to it.

Put another way.  You are in one breath saying, "This solution works with low numbers", and in the next saying, "Numbers aren't high enough to let it work."  Which is it?

Wiley.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:12:45 PM by Wiley »

JG11

Offline killjoy1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
Here's my solutions:

Whenever a country has only 17 players logged on, base capture is disabled. 

alternate setting
Whenever base capture is disabled, full radar is enabled. 

Objective:
Whenever the number of players or the number of players on one country falls too low, we switch to furball instead of base capture.
callsigns:  Rexx, Killjoy, Fluffy

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
No, it's not.  If people are miserable and you provide them an alternative that allegedly will work with low numbers, they will go to it.

We did.  And it did.

Put another way.  You are in one breath saying, "This solution works with low numbers", and in the next saying, "Numbers aren't high enough to let it work."  Which is it?

Wiley.

It's both.

That you can't see that is your cross to bear not mine.

We proved the concept.  You generate this kind of action in the MPA and you *WILL* see an increase in subscriptions, or at least a reduction in the decline.  Critical mass works both ways.  People stampede in the door and stampede out.  The reasons are polar opposites.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:21:55 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Here's my solutions:

Whenever a country has only 17 players logged on, base capture is disabled. 

alternate setting
Whenever base capture is disabled, full radar is enabled. 

Objective:
Whenever the number of players or the number of players on one country falls too low, we switch to furball instead of base capture.

This is the kind of thinking we need, not the, "GO CREATE A CUSTOM ARENA IF YOU THINK YOU'RE SO SMART" commentary.
”KILLER V”
The Damned