Author Topic: Signing up for an argument  (Read 2350 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Signing up for an argument
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2023, 05:14:37 PM »
It's incredibly easy...

Haggerty I would love for you to share your techniques, I suc in an 88, lol.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2023, 11:59:41 AM »

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2023, 08:41:10 PM »
 Agree about the Yak 3. Putting a value on all of the late war planes would help some. But it penalizes new players. Not that that we have that many new players, but it puts them all in older planes. Then they get frustrated and leave.

Most of the veteran players have 1000's of perk points. Perk points won't affect them much. Limiting production of the 1944-45 planes would be more effective overall.

As for the stick stirring. I don't know that they can do much about it. If you want more realism you need to try IL2 or DCS. It seems to me at this late date, we are stuck with the game we have. Which is sad. This was fun back when we had Titanic Tuesdays with 500 or more people playing. Now it's just a few hard core players hanging on.

The 88s and the ack seems to have gotten stronger since I've been back. Ack in real life was dangerous. Don't know which way to go with that.

Giant maps. That can be improved. Seems silly when we have huge maps and less than a 100 players online. 10 to 20 of them being in tanks. It's ends up we are just fighting over a few bases anyway.

The bad factor of the 3 country system is that two countries will gang up on the weak one. That's an online thing, everyone going for easy kills.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2023, 06:34:48 AM »
Monday Night Madness is a great place to get experience in multiple fighters without worrying about the hoing one experiences in MA...oops wrong thread

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2023, 07:34:10 AM »

I dedicate this video to save, for constantly trying to highlight the OPness of the Yak-3  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2023, 08:37:47 AM »
Small maps mean bomb and bail will go through the roof.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2023, 11:31:40 AM »
Small maps mean bomb and bail will go through the roof.

Huh?

So now they bomb and fly even further back to a base?

Smaller maps are the 1st step needed to save the game imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2023, 08:07:17 PM »
I'll have to go check the current maps in rotation, but I think all the maps are 256 sq miles, except for one. Maps can be created in 4 different sizes, 64 sq. miles, 128, 256 and 512.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2023, 08:32:08 PM »
Yak3 and B26 are the worst offenders when it comes to take damage.

Only small maps and revert radar to what it used to be, so you actually need to look around, SA should be imperative part of any aerial combat, lose sight - lose fight.

Btw how the **** can radar see in real time, behind a mountain, something even radar cannot do with 2023 equipment.

On smaller maps you will find an enemy to fight anyway.

In a P-51D I can saw B-26s apart at will.

Trying to kill a Yak is so annoying these days that when I see one I don't even bother shooting at it.   It's a waste of ammo.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2023, 08:34:57 PM »
I will disagree about the Yak3 for ONE person. That would be GP5. Hes insanely aggressive, to his detriment.

Agreed, the few times I play a month I don't see him.  Always aggressive though.

Funny when I mentioned the p51 in my earlier post, you were the first to come to mind.

BigR (JimRussl?) is the best Mustang stick in the game, IMHO. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2023, 09:51:13 PM »
Trying to kill a Yak is so annoying these days that when I see one I don't even bother shooting at it.   It's a waste of ammo.

In the Offline Practice arena you can select which planes fly as target drones.  Put a Yak in the mix and see how much it really takes to shoot one down.  Also, you can record your fights, in both the main and offline practice, and see how many of your bullets are actually hitting.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2023, 09:58:05 PM »
In the Offline Practice arena you can select which planes fly as target drones.  Put a Yak in the mix and see how much it really takes to shoot one down.  Also, you can record your fights, in both the main and offline practice, and see how many of your bullets are actually hitting.

Offline drones in a boring level turn doing 180 mph aren't much use.

The YAK is small, dense, and...annoying. 

As I said.....I just avoid them now.   I can kill six B-17s with the same ammo I use to merely damage a YAK.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »
I've decided that I wish to register a complaint. Not for any real purpose beyond being able to make my mostly-known proclamations without the ch200 character limit and to compel the less witty amongst us to say that I'm "crying".

1) Yak-3. Having the ability to 'nope' out of any situation with its acceleration and climb rate combined with a tiny airframe, it really doesn't need to be impervious to bullets as well. It takes more hits to down a Yak3 than any other fighter in my experience, and even some bombers. If you want to double your K/D immediately fly a Yak3. Just be sure to never, ever be caught more than 30 seconds away from help or ack.

2) Stick-stirring. If to survive you feel that you must spaz your stick around and pull +/- 5G to create warping, you've already lost in my book. Whether you call it a torque spin, snap roll or defensive maneuvers.... no. They're not. It's gamey nonsense and you're taking advantage of networking limitations in order to avoid being shot down in a fight you've already lost. Have a little respect for yourself and others, take the L and move on.

3) 88mms and manned guns. It seems their sole purpose in life is to intrude upon those who wish to dogfight, from a position that allows them to earn kills but not to be killed themselves. That just seems so off, especially when I have to fly 10 minutes to get back in the fight, while they can just insta-spawn into the action endlessly. If all the folks that spend their efforts shooting at planes from the ground actually upped a plane, so much more fun could be had.

4) Giant maps. While it's been nice to see some fresh maps, and a big <S> to the map makers, some of the older ones really need to go. I only get about an hour a day to fly, and more often than not the amount of fun to be had is dictated by which map is up. The worst ones seem to take the longest to roll, too.

5) Side-switching. I really don't care about spying, or the war overall, but it seems unfair for people to be able to acquire effectively unlimited perks by auto-switching. It's causing situations where players can just fly a Tempest for entire tours and still end up with more perks than they started with. Side-swapping already puts you at an advantage in many respects, so I really don't think tripling their perks is helping things at all, other than for the half-dozen or so players that actually do it.

I'll leave it with my top 5, for now. I look forward to ignoring most of you, or engaging some  ;) :salute :bolt:

Good one Simon, not rebutting just adding my perspective.

1) - I love Yak's... my G2 can't get enough of them :)

2) - Still gonna kill you warping or no warping, but if you slip away to fight another day, ah shucks.

3) - Don't really care too much, just when you target me, I'm gonna take your very unarmored toy away.

4) - Not too much opinion on this one, just that we do need some new maps to break it up.  The Europe one was awesome "Fix the cloud/Icon issue please! Though it is a nice realism challenge :)".  I like mountainous terrain fights and racing through canyons.

5) - No real opinion, been a Bishop pretty much my whole AH life since AH2 when I first joined and I don't intend to side switch anytime soon.

<S>
RezDog
Unteroffizier - Jagdflieger
I/JG3 Udet (Hoenjager) C.O. Twodogs5

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2023, 04:37:06 PM »
I fly they Yak-9T and 9U a lot, I actually don't like -3.

A lot of people say the same thing about the hits a 9T or 9U can take, and to be frank you guys are not hitting like you think you are. The yak is a very small fast fighter, only the I-16 is smaller (and the tiny Ki-43 is actually bigger). The yak also has a high torque engine and a big rudder - and if you know how to use these together you can make quite significant lateral movements to spoil shots.

I love to hunt -3's in my 9U. I get in close, and am making centerline shots (hitting them with my nose mounted guns on the fuselage, not converged guns. And I have no trouble taking them down with short bursts.

Weaknesses are legs, firepower, ammo, and performance at altitude.