Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 54408 times)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1680 on: June 05, 2024, 10:42:57 AM »
someone's anti-psychotic meds ran out.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1681 on: June 05, 2024, 10:47:13 AM »
I started to delete it because I squeal like a little girl. I've deleted others that were getting many views but not flattering to my ego. The older I get, the less I care.

Dude, that scream could go viral.

You could be the next internet meme.  The next, "LEROY JENKINS!"

;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1682 on: June 05, 2024, 10:47:30 AM »
I'll have a guy merge with me and if I don't follow him the entire time with my eyes, he could totally dissappear with the environment and it takes me a minute to find. Still working on SA with track IR and VR, but it's tough to see planes.

I had this same issue when I started IL2. I found that if I stayed low it was much easier to see them against the sky then the ground for sure. I also had to get used to IDing the planes and sometimes got to close and lost all my advantage by the time I figured out it was a bad guy.
I also learned that it's tough to ID a plane from dead 6 until you get too close. Since then I've tried to dive down lower on their 6 to get a better silhouette to help with ID. Not sure if that's the same in DCS but I found that to be my biggest challenge in IL2 in VR.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1683 on: June 05, 2024, 10:56:06 AM »
Dude, that scream could go viral.

You could be the next internet meme.  The next, "LEROY JENKINS!"

;)

More likely the next "leave Britney alone" meme.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1684 on: June 05, 2024, 10:56:41 AM »
I had this same issue when I started IL2. I found that if I stayed low it was much easier to see them against the sky then the ground for sure. I also had to get used to IDing the planes and sometimes got to close and lost all my advantage by the time I figured out it was a bad guy.
I also learned that it's tough to ID a plane from dead 6 until you get too close. Since then I've tried to dive down lower on their 6 to get a better silhouette to help with ID. Not sure if that's the same in DCS but I found that to be my biggest challenge in IL2 in VR.

I have had and still have that argument with DCS guys today.  We've had this argument in sims for 30 years.

Any DCS server I setup will always have labels\icons enabled to some extent.  maybe in 20 years when technology advances to the point where there is no difference to resolution and HDR compared to the eye of a 20 year old WWII pilot, then drop labels\icons.  Until then, the result is actually less realistic than not having icons.

DCS supports them, but they are not as nicely implemented as AH's. 

I think some of their bais comes from modern jet experience where you have electronic IFF and being vectored in by AWACs that have already identified type and range and bearing.  Or in helo where you are so low and slow and usually looking at a target in a magnified MFD screen so icons are not as needed.

Warbirds need them IMHO.  It leasd to better gameplay.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 11:00:08 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #1685 on: June 05, 2024, 11:00:05 AM »

It's an issue with a lot of complaints from the VR crowd in IL2. I guess in non-VR you can super zoom, but in VR you can't. I wish in the popular IL2 servers (combat box, Wings of Liberty) there were at least friendly icons...but I get why there aren't.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1686 on: June 05, 2024, 11:05:15 AM »
I have had and still have that argument with DCS guys today.  We've had this argument in sims for 30 years.

Any DCS server I setup will always have labels\icons enabled to some extent.  maybe in 20 years when technology advances to the point where there is no difference to resolution and HDR compared to the eye of a 20 year old WWII pilot, then drop labels\icons.  Until then, the result is actually less realistic than not having icons.

DCS supports them, but they are not as nicely implemented as AH's.

I agree with that.
I really like the way the icons are set on the IL2 normal server. At range you will see icons on the planes but they will show any info. As they get closer they start showing which are enemy and friendly, as you get closer still it will ID the plane type, when you are right on top of them it will give the name of the actual pilot of the enemy plane! I think giving the ID of the pilot might be a little bit much but it makes it interesting for sure.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1687 on: June 05, 2024, 11:09:10 AM »
It's an issue with a lot of complaints from the VR crowd in IL2. I guess in non-VR you can super zoom, but in VR you can't. I wish in the popular IL2 servers (combat box, Wings of Liberty) there were at least friendly icons...but I get why there aren't.
There are 3 levels of zoom in IL2. I use the biggest zoom in VR to try to ID planes and the smallest one for shooting. The problem with the biggest zoom is that it makes the area that you can see so small that it's hard to track a plane that is moving across your screen in my experience. I've heard that you can also set it up to zoom in and out, kinda like the bracket keys on AH3 but I haven't figured that one out yet.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1688 on: June 05, 2024, 11:14:50 AM »
There are 3 levels of zoom in IL2. I use the biggest zoom in VR to try to ID planes and the smallest one for shooting. The problem with the biggest zoom is that it makes the area that you can see so small that it's hard to track a plane that is moving across your screen in my experience. I've heard that you can also set it up to zoom in and out, kinda like the bracket keys on AH3 but I haven't figured that one out yet.

Even with zoom, you lose situational awareness.  Something else you have to fiddle with in combat.  When zoomed in you have no peripheral vision so can't gauge you orientation and movement and in a sim don't have seat-of-your-pants input to guestimate.  Zoom does not make the experience more realistic and has a lot of drawbacks.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1689 on: June 05, 2024, 11:20:03 AM »
Even with zoom, you lose situational awareness.  Something else you have to fiddle with in combat.  When zoomed in you have no peripheral vision so can't gauge you orientation and movement and in a sim don't have seat-of-your-pants input to guestimate.  Zoom does not make the experience more realistic and has a lot of drawbacks.

Right. I wasn't trying to praise it. I was just saying how I try to use it to compensate as I find it difficult to ID planes in VR. I've heard it's easier to ID planes on a monitor but I like to fly VR so I haven't attempted it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #1690 on: June 05, 2024, 11:29:39 AM »
AFAIK the AH style zoom can't be used in VR. I tried mapping it to a slider on my stick and it just doesn't work (it can be mapped to a slider not in VR).

I can deal with the IDing issues, just puts me at a disadvantage is all.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1691 on: June 05, 2024, 11:32:10 AM »
Eyes irl can only spot and resolve targets so far. That's why they invented radar.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1692 on: June 05, 2024, 12:01:02 PM »
Too bad about all the bugs and no new planes.

Yeah.  That didn't age well.

New toy day.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1693 on: June 05, 2024, 12:24:19 PM »

Exact same thing for me. I've been doing more track IR just because of the clearer visuals and large goggles are annoying, but yeah I have super zoom to try to figure them out and more than once given up all my E to dive in on my own friendlies lol. At least a chevron over the top would be nice...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1694 on: June 05, 2024, 12:29:01 PM »
As for the latest news, the new update 5.204 will be released soon, in two weeks; its testing is almost finished. It will include the new Ta 152 H-1 Collector Plane from the end of the war, which we described in detail in Dev Blog #358, as well as a number of important improvements and changes.

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/854/dev-blog-363/?_gl=1*7gai0s*_ga*MjAwNjg3MjI5My4xNzE3NjAzODU3*_ga_M3ND9NY3EC*MTcxNzYwNzUzNi4yLjEuMTcxNzYwNzU5Ny4wLjAuMA..