Author Topic: US POWs  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2003, 01:06:41 PM »
Originally posted by Kanth
I'd like to see our people saying yes we would rather not see them on tv of course not.

But the fact is, we have been showing POW's on TV for the past couple of days.

So if they are in violation of the geneva convention for that, so are we.

I'd really like our media to quit broadcasting the images and video of our soldiers..wtf are they thinking.

wtf are they thinking!

It's doesn't say you can't show POWs on tv.  Read the Geneva Convention.  Iraq is in violation.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2003, 01:11:44 PM »
I just read the article before posting

Article 13

Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or to medical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoner concerned and carried out in his interest.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity.

Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
yea when we tortured pows in afghanistant at least we didnt put them on TV. what the iraqis are doing makes me even sicker then that does.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2003, 02:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
yea when we tortured pows in afghanistant at least we didnt put them on TV. what the iraqis are doing makes me even sicker then that does.

we didn't torture POWs in afghanistan

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
US POWs
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2003, 02:06:21 PM »
OK, so now showing Iraqi soldiers being captured or marched off to PW camps is the same as what the Iraqi government/media has done by "interviewing" PW's and showing the bodies of those they may have executed?

Complete and total crap if you ask me.

There are things that should be discussed/debated/argued/flamed over, POW's and their possible mistreatment is not one of those things (I guess I should add that it is just my humble opinion).

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2003, 03:00:22 PM »
If you are talking to me, let me be more clear.

to be protected from public curiosity

As in not to be televised for everyone to gawk at.

The degree of the offense is irrelevant to the geneva convention. As soon as they hit the public tv screen it was wrong.

and it was wrong from both sides.

now articles aside, if you want to say you were more outraged because of the interviewing etc..

all I can say is NO ****, so was I.

But, that's not what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Mathman
OK, so now showing Iraqi soldiers being captured or marched off to PW camps is the same as what the Iraqi government/media has done by "interviewing" PW's and showing the bodies of those they may have executed?

Complete and total crap if you ask me.

There are things that should be discussed/debated/argued/flamed over, POW's and their possible mistreatment is not one of those things (I guess I should add that it is just my humble opinion).
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2003, 03:07:53 PM »
If you are talking to me, let me be more clear.

to be protected from public curiosity

As in not to be televised for everyone to gawk at.

The degree of the offense is irrelevant to the geneva convention. As soon as they hit the public tv screen it was wrong.

and it was wrong from both sides.

now articles aside, if you want to say you were more outraged because of the interviewing etc..

all I can say is NO ****, so was I.

But, that's not what I'm talking about.

Showing POWs being captured is not displaying for public curiosity.  Showing interviews with POWs on TV is.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2003, 05:07:57 PM »
really? then it's displaying for what reason exactly?

please quote your sources as well, when you reply.

Originally posted by Martlet
Showing POWs being captured is not displaying for public curiosity.

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
US POWs
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2003, 05:15:55 PM »
If I were a prisoner, I'd prefer to be televised.  I wouldn't want to be interviewed, but at least something to let the world know I'm alive and if I'm not returned at the end of hostilities, someone needs to look into the matter.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2003, 05:19:02 PM »
really? then it's displaying for what reason exactly?

please quote your sources as well, when you reply.

What sources?  Displaying something for public curiosity is showing something for the entertainment value.  Much different than reporting news.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2003, 06:55:16 PM »
What do you think the News is.

Originally posted by Martlet
What sources?  Displaying something for public curiosity is showing something for the entertainment value.  Much different than reporting news.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2003, 06:56:12 PM »
What do you think the News is.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I've confused news with re runs of "Married with Children".  I now see why you are such an idiot.  Go watch the Iraqi propaganda channel if you want to see entertainment.  If you want to watch the news so you can begin to become INFORMED, then I'd suggest CNN or Fox.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2003, 07:16:29 PM »
information satisfies public curiosity.

Or do you just watch the news to be entertained?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2003, 08:11:33 PM »
information satisfies public curiosity.

Or do you just watch the news to be entertained?

Obviously english is not your native language.  I stated in no uncertain terms that the news is not for entertainment, it was for information.

In fact, that was a key point in my argument.

Let me know where you hail from, and I'll have my reply translated.

Offline N1kPaz

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
US POWs
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2003, 08:18:21 PM »
this sort of **** happens. the terrorist regime and filthy army of the soon to be former nation of iraq better enjoy what little time they have left on this world.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 08:21:15 PM by N1kPaz »