Author Topic: Friday The 4th  (Read 4328 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2003, 06:51:33 AM »
What is it with HTC and the Japanese planeset?   Huge gaps, early IJ models vs latewar US counterparts, neutering the N1K2, the undermodelled Zeke cannon, etc?    And when the AH planeset finally reaches a point where new additions simply have to favor the IJ since there are so few Allied planes left to model, HTC pulls the plug on new development for AH, announces AH2 for the 2nd half of next year (with ToD most likely focused on ETO)?    

Brady, you're quite an optimist if you can look at all these facts and then predict hope for the IJ fans in AH sometime next year.     :)

I don't think an A6M3 or a Ki.43 is going to help at all in dealing with the F4U-1's speed.   I agree something needs to be done to address balance issues, but waiting for more Japanese planes of the time period is not going to help.   I think you are just going to have to perk the F4U-1 and put it in sometimes, or the Navy flyers will never get to use it in midwar PTO matchups (where it belongs) concerned about both authenticity and balance.

If 3 out of the 4 Japanese fighters are late war, we ought to be able to concoct a fair setting that uses them.

That last PTO CT setup was good, but it did run during a free-trial promo, so the numbers may have been skewed a bit.

Anyway you CMs and Brady in particular.   Thanks for working in PTOs when you can...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 07:23:40 AM by oboe »

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
Friday The 4th
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2003, 07:02:14 AM »
Brady.

Like Hj said , we all appreciate what you guys do. The same ole same ole each PTO gwts old though. Forcing the guys who are willing to fly IJN into no choice of aircraft three times in a row is what drives me nuts. I know the speed difference between the F6F, anf A6M5 is greater than the F4F A6M2, but the Hellcat and Zeke 5 is a better matchup IMO , anyday than the Zeke 2 , and Wildcat.
We got guys who will fly Japanese on those Tuesday, and Thursday night when the arena is usually full, but we'd like a chance not to have to do it in A6M2s again.
Brady nothing is aimed at you personally, it is getting frustrating though getting stuck with the A6M2/P40/F4F every time.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2003, 07:16:47 AM »
need to loosen up on the "historical" aspect ....

if the japs ain't got the planeset, use the germs

late LW planes against a late blue planeset

jap planes are fine one on one but even two on one ur ded..

dunno what map the "slot" is but if its the long string of islands which makes getting to combat even longer, well .....

when is the next eto ? :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Friday The 4th
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2003, 07:45:00 AM »
As redundant and disappointing as this may or may not be, there is nothing we can do about it.  They could use some substitution fighter for balance (say a Japanese 109 of some sort), but who would decide?  Then the historical "purist" would go berserk, and they are the guys that run the show.

P.S. (I also wonder, is the P40-B model not available in the CT arena inventory?  Certainly this model should not be unbalancing, and it can not be argued as not historical. )
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 08:10:53 AM by Zanth »

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
I ain't happy with the setup, but.....
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2003, 08:15:26 AM »
.....I'll fly it anyway, just cause I like the CT.

As far as the speed disparities between the USN and USAAF planes and their Japanese counterparts, well.......
What do you guys want to do, rewrite history, pretend the Japanese actually had planes as fast as the F4U, P38, P-51, or P-47?
Fact is, they didn't in RL.  Even the vaunted Ki-84 was slower than any of the above by a minimum of 20 mph (vs a P-38), all the way up to a 50+ mph difference against a P-51.
BTW, don't EVEN bring up the tests the US did after the war, listing a Ki84 at over 420 mph.  Japan, according to some sources I have read, did not have fuel rated over 92 octane, so the wartime Ki84 would NOT put up that kind of performance.

In closing, it does get old hearing the same old "US planeset dominates the Japanese planeset."  We got ONE early war Japanese fighter, the A6M2.  The rest are mid-war to late war rides.                                                                                     Please stop penalizing players who happen to like the big blue rides, the Jug, the Lightning, or the Ponies, just because you can't accept the fact that practically any setup involving a PTO planeset is gonna leave the Japanese fliers flying slower planes than their Allied counterparts.
You log in and you choose your ride.  If you choose a side because you like a particular plane, you choose it's shortcomings as well as it's strengths.  I don't pay much attention to anything other than what the numbers on each side are.  I do admit to flying the Jugs any chance I get in a CT setup, but I have been known to change sides to balance the numbers, and I will continue to do so.  Some folks don't, they just pick whichever side they feel has the better planes and say to hell with the side balances.  Those are the guys that cause the problems with a planeset and gang banging.

Now, I'll get off my little soapbox, log into the CT, and have some FUN!  :p

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2003, 08:52:34 AM »
I'll say this one more time-

What the hell is wrong with a PTO that matches the Hellcat, P-38 and F4u-D against the A6M5b, Ki 61 Tony and the N1K?  Hey, I'm one of the ones flying the damn IJ stuff so I don't care if so and so's Corsair is faster, I'll gladly take him on in my N1K.  Just give us the setup.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2003, 09:01:53 AM »
Eagler, you take a Wildcat and put it against 2 A6M2's and it's dead meat (though, I think Shane or someone equivalent might be able to get out of it.)  It's not much different than 2 F4F's against 1 A6M2.

When planes are closely matched, 2 v 1 is death for the one almost every time, unless it's a vet vs 2 newbies (or 2 bad shots.)

Of course, this is assuming a low alt, co-E situation.  The lone Wildcat that has alt to burn will survive the encounter (even if it's just to run away.)

Brady, this is my favorite setup next to the Battle of Britain!   for running it one more time before we have the USN speed demons vs the slow turner post-Slot setup.   :)

Answer me this everyone who complains about the Slot setup.  In a 1 v 1, co-E, 5000 ft engagement, what would you rather be in?  A F4F-4 or a A6M2?  1 v 1 only, NO ONE is coming to help out either side.  Include why in your answer as well.  :)  (you may expand to higher alts if you so desire, but the Wildcat becomes more of a choice because it can dive to run if in trouble up there!)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2003, 09:02:10 AM »
I'am probally one in a very small minority that likes to fly the a6m2,hell I even fly it in the MA(that will really give ya some practice on fighting its historical enemy trying to dodge the d9's,51d's,and la7's) a lot it really all comes down to you got to know when to hold and when to fold and sense when someone is on your six.Also you have to anticipate your enemies move once on there six. I have found that most players will turn or make somesort of left turn or manuever maybe because most players fly righthanded I dont know but I always put myself in a position to be there when they make that move,you can be asured that if your are on an f4f4's six for longer than 3-6 sec his buddy will have a gun solution on you.I tried this last pto and had sucess going 32/18 the first few days the ego enters the picture and I start to hang on longer and longer and dieing more and more and end up 49/45 for the week.

Anyway Iam looking forward to it:)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2003, 09:53:38 AM »
The F6F-5 (1944), F4U-1D (1944), and A6M5b (1944) also sub for earlier 1943 models in the CT, so the Ki-61-KAI (1944) can also sub for the earlier Ki-61? The armament and speed is certainly not unbalancing vs US types. Maybe leave the F4U out sometimes, or perk it, but vs the F6F and others its fine, and its historically accurate.

As for 1945 setups, again, add the N1K2, and perk the P-38 and the F4U perhaps.

I will submitt that there is no such thing as a perfect matchup, that only happens in the MA, where both sides fly the same ac. None of the CT setups have ever been "fair" one side always has the upper hand in ac types, always. I think the perk system can help, if used properly, ie. weekly resets, and carefull point allocations.

I also appreciate the work that goes into the CT, Im just expressing my opinion.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline tzr

• Copper Member
      • http://webpages.charter.net/maddogjoe/index.html
Friday The 4th
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2003, 11:02:22 AM »
Originally posted by najdorf
I'll say this one more time-

What the hell is wrong with a PTO that matches the Hellcat, P-38 and F4u-D against the A6M5b, Ki 61 Tony and the N1K?  Hey, I'm one of the ones flying the damn IJ stuff so I don't care if so and so's Corsair is faster, I'll gladly take him on in my N1K.  Just give us the setup.

What he said

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Friday The 4th
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2003, 11:16:06 AM »
Originally posted by 1Duke1
.....I haven't been able to fly now for over a week because of RL military duty issues, so I'm having major withdrawal issues:mad:

LOL..How dare we wage a war, and limit your time in AH..those Pentagon Bastards  :D

We miss ya, Bruddah...see you soon (and I'm actually taking a little break, myself dur to RL stuff)

Gainsie:D

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday The 4th
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2003, 12:21:11 PM »
yay! more F4F-4 vs A6M2

someone had to be happy about the setup. :)
Personally I feel the 2 planes are well matched, 1v1 the zero should eat the F4F alive.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline gollum

• Zinc Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2003, 12:31:41 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
yay! more F4F-4 vs A6M2

Personally I feel the 2 planes are well matched, 1v1 the zero should eat the F4F alive.

:D I agree, this is a very good match-up, and one where I would fly for either side depending on arena balance.

Can't wait to fly the slot again! Great work CT team!

gollum

VMF-101 Nightmares

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Friday The 4th
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2003, 12:49:42 PM »
This set up is so we test certain things for an upcoming scenario.

Theres nothing new with the CT CMs running a set up like this as a work up to a scenario.

I did it when I was a ct cm many times.

As for penalizing blue plane pilots well thats just bs. Maybe some blue plane pilots oughta get together and ask HT to get a some more japanese planes modelled.

There were plenty of ct setups where the entire US planeset was available vrs the ki61 and a6m5. They sucked.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2003, 12:53:03 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss

Agreed.  And it does.  I like this match, too, although I would have thought that the P40 ferrying that went on the last time would be a lesson for this time.

I remember the later-war PTO CT setups, with the Corsairs and Hellcats and P-38s and Jugs.  Seemed to work OK, perhaps we'll get a chance to see when that lovely Okinawa map rolls around.

In the meantime, lighten up, folks.  If you don't like the zeke, fly the wildcat.  There's plenty of us who would PREFER to be in the zeke.  And next week there'll be a whole new setup.

- oldman