Author Topic: Americans Sign Petition to Withdraw US from the UN  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Americans Sign Petition to Withdraw US from the UN
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2003, 01:18:27 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
It certainly does. Coupled with the UN SC's near phobia about using Chapter 7, it highlights what many in this thread have been saying about the UN.

See my previous comment on how the UN is nothing more and nothing less than the sum of its members. The same applies to the UNSC.

And I dont exactly see the US falling over themselves in their attempts to pass some Chapter VII resolution on Israel either...get my point?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2003, 07:28:53 AM »
Yeah, Tronski.. yer right! It's AMAZINGLY THE SAME HERE!

We have administration officials going to Selma, Alabama chanting "kill the blacks" and then white mobs go around to black farmer's homes and kill every one of them, man, woman and child.

So I guess it is EXACTLY THE SAME... we need UN troops!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 07:39:27 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2003, 07:38:09 AM »
Yes, it's the sum of it's parts. The Sum is about 3 or 4 when you add up all 187. Not a very good sum, is it?

Look, if you want to join a pointless club, a knitting society that never even knits, a swimming club that never goes to a pool... fine. Go ahead.

See, that's the beauty of that freedom thing. YOU are free to belong to the UN. Go ahead. Enjoy! We WANT you to be happy.

All we ask is that you allow us the same courtesy. Let us choose whether we want to be in an auto club with no autos or a golfing club with no course, clubs or balls.

I think we're on the edge of not renewing our membership. This club has proven to be absolutely pointless.

I think we'll still be able to do "good" things without the blue flag flying. CDC in Atlanta doesn't have to work through WHO to be a positive force in the world. Same with food aid; we seem to distribute quite a bit of food that doesn't go through the UN.

Necessary military action? :D

And another thing to look at is that it'll never get fixed unless somebody admits it's seriously broke. Someone's going to have to be first. Might as well be us, usually is anyway.

But, like I mentioned before...... can you find a nice stands-for-nothing country like Switzerland for the new UN HQ? It'd be nice to have it out of here and maybe it could serve as the nucleus for the new, powerful, pro-active EU. You could even base the new Euro quick reaction force that will make Nato a thing of the past there! Great idea!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2003, 08:01:26 AM »
I find myself nodding in agreement with Mr. Toad. Sad but true (what's happened to the UN - not the fact that I agree with Mr. Toad - LOL)

It was a good idea at the time, and could have worked if all countries played by the rules. But it's not turned out like that. I had a feeling that things might one day end up like this. That's why I've always considered the "unofficial" alliance between the UK and the USA to be vitally important. John Major almost porked it in 1992 when he overtly supported the re-election of GB1, and then had to mend fences when WJC became president.

The Reagan-Thatcher years were glorious! :):):)   <--Dowding troll bait :D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2003, 08:09:45 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

The Reagan-Thatcher years were glorious! :):):)   <--Dowding troll bait :D

I can resist the temptation ...

I can resist ...

I can resist ...

I can resist ...

I can resist ...

I can resist ...

I can resist ...

running awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ;)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2003, 08:27:42 AM »
tronsky.. do you know who is killing all the poor black folk in the U.S.?   Hint... It ain't white folk and it ain't the NRA... it aint even the KKK.  

Speaking of the NRA... it appears that the membershp of the NRA is one of the most law abiding groups in the U.S.  
lazs

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2003, 09:51:31 AM »
how many countries does the UN have too manage.....

how many countries does the US have too manage.....

it ain't perfect....but its what we got....its OURS.

since its OURS...we can change and mold its form.....why do we have to get rid of something that belongs to EVERYONE.....

a little work....and voila...a better TOOL for peace.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2003, 11:23:38 AM »
You miss the point, Slo.

The UN doesn't manage any countries.

The US only has to manage one: the US.

Not only is the UN not perfect, it's powerless and pointless.

It is most definitely YOURS, however. It belongs to anyone that wants to join that can pass itself off as a "nation".

Which is fine by me and others like me I think. We just don't see why YOU would consider our membership mandatory in any way. After all, we're the Bad Guys, as you and a few others on this board have gone to great lengths to point out over the last two or three months.

Why would you want the Bad Guys in YOUR organization?

So, let us go in peace, wish us well. Then do you little bit of work and have your voila better tool for peace.

We'll just sit back and watch as the masters show us how it's done.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2003, 11:37:48 AM »
Petition signed
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2003, 11:43:24 AM »
Alot of you people are really funny.  I mean really funny in a sick, spoiled brat way.  You really make me want to punch you.

First, it has been said that the US is a bully.  Might makes right.  Evil Bush & Co. are taking over the planet.   America shouldn't be leading the world...it's just selfish and looking after it's own interest.  Blah, blah, blah.

Okay, fine.

Then it is said, "Maybe the US should leave the UN."

Now everyone seems to be crying that the US shouldn't leave.  The UN is all we have however imperfect it is.  Wah, wah...don't leave us.

Why?  Why do you give a f*ck if we leave or not?  If we are so f*cking evil, selfish, etc then why do you care if we leave.

Funny...when some j@ckass leaves AH there are quite a few "Don't let the door hit you on the arse".  I don't recall hearing a single one of those about the US leaving the UN.  Think about it

Maybe the UN needs the US more than the US needs the UN.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 11:45:27 AM by Drunky »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2003, 11:56:29 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
You miss the point, Slo.

The UN doesn't manage any countries.

The US only has to manage one: the US.

Not only is the UN not perfect, it's powerless and pointless.

It is most definitely YOURS, however. It belongs to anyone that wants to join that can pass itself off as a "nation".

Which is fine by me and others like me I think. We just don't see why YOU would consider our membership mandatory in any way. After all, we're the Bad Guys, as you and a few others on this board have gone to great lengths to point out over the last two or three months.

Why would you want the Bad Guys in YOUR organization?

So, let us go in peace, wish us well. Then do you little bit of work and have your voila better tool for peace.

We'll just sit back and watch as the masters show us how it's done.

this is exactly why I don't bother anymore.....

here's another we AMERICANS vs. the World useless argument....

your part of the world handsomehunk.....fine.....you DON'T wanna participate with OTHERS.....fine....you wanna do it alone....fine.

you wanna bash the UN....not fine.....bash my country for NOT agreeing with your Black & White Politics....not fine...yet there you are bashing again.....

just cause we don't agree.....just cause we squeak some about your country....just cause we state a few opinions...doesn't mean we DON'T appreciate Americans or there culture.....

but boy....do you act like wounded animals when we do bash it a little.....

here you are bashing the UN again...but wait a minute...we can't bash you.....

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2003, 12:27:13 PM »
Bashing?

Once again, the non-US version of free speech rears its head.

I'm not bashing the UN. I'm voicing my opinion of it. I haven't used foul language or anything like that. I've just said I see it as a pointless, powerless organization.

What you apparently find fault with is that I don't agree with you. Therefore, I'm not entitled to voice my opinion because I'm not voicing an opinion, I'm "bashing".

"Free speech" Euro style!  :D

It's not America vs the world. No US poster here is saying you can't have your UN. We say quite the opposite. Have it. Enjoy it. Eat all you want.

Yeah, we're part of the world. And we participate. We feed lots of people around the world, we send medicine, we send money. And we already even do this OUTSIDE the structure of the UN.

just cause we don't agree.....just cause we squeak some about your country....just cause we state a few opinions...doesn't mean we DON'T appreciate Americans or there culture.....

Simlarly, just because we don't agree with other countries, it's not "bashing" them. It's just not agreeing with them. And, if we therefore choose to deal less favorably with that particular country and more favorably with another country that is more in agreement with us, it's not punishment, it's common sense.

Again, we're not bashing. We're stating our opinion.

And we understand that freedom of speech is a two way street. You get to say what you like. We get to say what we like. We may or may not agree, but that has nothing to do with "free speech".

It's the freedom to voice your opinion that counts. Nowhere is it mandated that, having done so, others MUST agree with you.

Something that far too many Euro posters.. and some Canadians, apparently, fail to understand.

Have a very nice day.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 01:50:26 PM by Toad »

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
More fuel for the UN's funeral pyre...
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2003, 02:57:26 PM »
From Fox News today...

WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday expressed outrage that Cuba has been re-elected to the U.N. Human Rights Commission (search), only three weeks after rounding up dozens of dissidents and sending them to prison.

"This is a setback for the cause of human rights. Cuba does not deserve a seat on the Human Rights Commission. Cuba deserves to be investigated by the Human Rights Commission," said White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer.

While the United States was preoccupied with the Iraq war, Cuban leader Fidel Castro (search) arrested 78 dissidents, journalists and librarians and "tried" them for treason, giving them varying prison sentences of as long as 28 years.

The same commission that by acclamation Tuesday allowed Cuba to remain a member, earlier this month voted to investigate the mass arrests. It was treated with resistance.

"The Human Rights Commission wanted to send investigators into Cuba and Cuba said 'no.' And yet, today, Cuba gets re-elected to the Human Rights Commission. It raises troubling issues, and that's why the United States is speaking out about it," Fleischer said.

The Bush administration lobbied against the vote to keep Cuba on the panel, but in the end threw up its hands, suggesting the commission is a lost cause.

"You have to keep in mind that Libya is the chairman of this committee. There are some things that happen at the United Nations that it's very hard for anybody to explain," Fleischer said.

U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Economic Social Council Sichan Siv (search), who served as the U.S. representative at Tuesday's commission meeting, got up and walked out when it became clear Cuba was going to win the vote.

"It was an outrage for us because we view Cuba as the worst violator of human rights in this hemisphere," he said.

Siv said the arrests aren't the only travesties committed by Castro. Cubans trying to escape Castro's regime have mounted several hijackings recently, including a plane flown to Key West and a ferryboat also headed to Florida. While hijackings are illegal, Castro didn't bother with anything like a trial, Siv said.

"They arrested three hijackers. After one week of incarceration, they shot them — no trial no justice or nothing," he said.

Castro's summary executions surprised and dismayed even his longtime defenders. It also riled longtime critics in the U.S. Congress.

"Allowing Cuba to stay on the Human Rights Commission is like honoring Saddam Hussein with the Nobel Peace Prize," said Florida Republican Rep. Mark Foley.

Foley is introducing a congressional resolution calling on the United Nations to reverse its decision.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2003, 03:06:43 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
tronsky.. do you know who is killing all the poor black folk in the U.S.?   Hint... It ain't white folk and it ain't the NRA... it aint even the KKK.  

Speaking of the NRA... it appears that the membershp of the NRA is one of the most law abiding groups in the U.S.  
lazs

I think I was making the point the UN should not get involved in civil matters....obviously I should tend toward the less subtle..and just lead you through it.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2003, 03:47:42 PM »
I'd wager the vast majority of the current genocide world wide would be/is considered a "civil matter".

I'd further wager that the vast majority of the genocide in the past 30 odd years would be/is considered a "civil matter".

I'd wager that had the UN been in existence, the genocide at Dachau would have been considered a "civil matter".

So, it's obviously best to do nothing.