Author Topic: Countdown!  (Read 579 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Countdown!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
And if you believe the word itself is insulting as opposed to the intention behind it.. then that shows what you are made of.

AKDejaVu

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
What joness, badger, maverick, wardog, brazos and saz said.

I have a right not to be bothered with profanities written by people show no respect for their fellow players. It is not I that should make the effort (of shutting down your lack of civillity by using squelch). It is your responsibility to act in a civilized manner in society, and if you're not willing then you don't belong in society.

The "right" of free speech comes with responsibilities, but your kind conveniently ignores it.

Don't let the door quick you on your way out.

Actually, I hope it does quick you, maybe that will knock some sense in you guys.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 09-23-2000).]

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2000, 03:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
And if you believe the word itself is insulting as opposed to the intention behind it.. then that shows what you are made of.

Banning the word sends a message on what kind of behavior will not be tolerated. If you can't understand that, then that shows what you are made of.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Countdown!
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
Well said DrSoya, Mav. and the others in a similar vane. I played this game for only six weeks, but the swearing is definitely something which is not needed. Especially since kids play this.

If you're gonna swear, do it at your computer screen not through it.

We don't need the whining, for that matter, IMO. Any chance of filter to mute the whiners, HTC?  

Oh, and by the way, IT'S ONLY A GAME. Been wanting to say that for a while. Feel better already...

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 09-23-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Countdown!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Torque:
fek me you ppl fly off the handle to quick. I'm sure the filter will be tweak until then save the roadkill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Torque said....and to the people that are pissed 'cause they can't cuss on open channel anymore...grow the F*** up already!

Lars

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Countdown!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »

Banning the word sends a message on what kind of behavior will not be tolerated. If you can't understand that, then that shows what you are made of.

So.. "Idiot", "Moron", "Retard".. these words have all been banned?

The most offensive things I have said on comms have not involved swear words at all.  The most response I've ever received from somthing I said on the comms didn't involve any swear words.

How did cursing become the root of all evil?

I logged on one night when a 2-week trial guy was spamming the forum with curse words.  I squelched him immediately and then had to listen to 20 different people respond to an obvious troll for reaction.

If you want to see maturity in the arena.. work on that image you see in the mirror.

People instigate because so many react.  Police yourself.  Behave the way you think others should behave.  That is acceptable behavior.  If someone is getting off on response to his/her bad behavior.. don't respond.

Now, we are going to be subject to people being more creative with curse words.  Most of us are now going to learn to cuss in Spanish, Finish, Dutch or German.  We are going to learn all about inuendo.  We are going to learn all about something called a "snowball effect.

Thankyou to all those involved.

AKDejaVu

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Countdown!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
Fortunately for me sorrow S=A, I could CARE LESS about a profanity filter.

Fortunately for you, HT has already stated that he will enable cussing on squad channel  

Cheerios!
Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 09-23-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
Fascinating.  I personally find the moral grandstanding here far more offensive than most of the swearing.  I'm pretty apathetic to the issue (I swear like a sailor, but temper it depending on the company I'm around for politeness sake), but the high-handed attitude of moral justification displayed by those posting on the board is nausiating.  

HTC runs a business and has to be a little on the conservative side (though I do feel the 'squelch' command solved any issues I ran into).  But though I find many of the statements made by people who frequent these boards absolutely appalling (regardless of the specific verbage), I don't generally feel that those people should be prohibited from being obnoxious.  To each their own.  The justification that societal standards are being broken is both frankly out of touch and rather dangerous when one considers the implications of that mindset.

So hey, if you want to jeer at people who don't like a particular censorship method because your particular morality condones censorship for an arbitrary 'Just Cause', knock yourself out.  You aren't being censored.  I personally believe however, that you are most definately talking out your ass.

Fortunately, the last thing I play these games for is the community.  I want that, I go hang out at a pub.  Speaking of which....

Thog, The Reprobate

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Countdown!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »
Damn Thog.. well said!

AKDejaVu

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Countdown!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2000, 06:21:00 PM »
Lemme buy that 1st beer Thog, good show.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Countdown!
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2000, 06:30:00 PM »
What would be really funny is..
Dont filter the guy. Just only have his message appear to him. So he thinks he is bad mouthing but only he is seeing it. You could even have some kind of anoying bot that keept swearing back at him but only he would see it. That would be hilarios!
Think of the fun HT could have coming up with better bots!

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
I like that idea pongo  

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
Countdown!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Robert (edited 09-25-2000).]

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
Countdown!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
i have an idea. use to have something like this in the pool room long time ago.
let them use any word they want! but... if it is a word ppl dont want to hear, CHARGE them for it. say 50c to $1.00 every time it is used. pool the $ and give it to the guy with the highest kill streak for the tour OR divi it up between the top 10 pilots. that way they can say what ever they want but will think about others when they start having to pay them.  

RWY
P.S. i know this will probably not work just made me think about how we use to handle things like jumping the cue ball of the table or swearing out loud ...back then it was a $1 in the jug or the juke box. Make the 8 ball on the break and you get the jug full of $$$$$$$$$$.  

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Countdown!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2000, 08:03:00 AM »
Me not agree with Thog. Thog use stereotype. Bad Thog.

Sorry Thog, I just love your callsign.

Thog, you have the right to believe that we are just a bunch of Bible-thumping evangelists, who are afraid that society is being broken down by the evil of profanity.

But that doesn't hold any more water than us believing that all the guys using profanity are complete cretins, trying to ruin the world with their lack of verbal choices.

Oh btw, getting back to Sorrow's original post...Sorrow was the guy that told me to "go kick my snot-nosed little brat in the head", and to "blow him". Can't say I'm surprised to read his reaction to the filter.