Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 7007 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »

To late.... been playing Iracing for years.

Cavalry

Well i guess High Tech will just have to stay around, I'm not going any where else.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
 :lol  WoT :rofl

THAT'S the joke.

WT is better than WoT.

And I found it fairly funny that someone said you would be a T-28 fighting Tigers? :lol  Thank you for that laugh, it helped. :aok

Half the folks here probably have not even tried playing WT.  I was an idiot too, listening to what others said about it and mocking it, without actually trying it out and putting some time into it.  Man, my boot does not taste good.  I have quite a bit of fun in it.  It's graphically very beautiful, just love how tracers and hit sprites look in WT.  I get racked nose to tail by 303's and I may have an engine that is ever so slightly smoking.  Like watching those gun cam vids really.  The planes look great, with details of auto-adjusting cowl flaps.  Tanks are nice as well, though the maps suck.  It's all way too small.  Even the aerial maps can be a bit feh.  Tolerable, but feh.   Tank maps can piss me off though. :lol

An example of one of my recently runs;  I was flying the Blenheim in one map, fairly cloudy.  I wanted a little speed so I could reach the target and get the hell out of dodge, so I dove below the clouds.  Risky, but can work out if a little lucky.  For a moment, I spotted something through a small gap in the clouds over me.  "Oh boy.  Hope they didn't spot my arse...".  Unfortunately, they did.  They came screaming down through the clouds, an I-15, I-16 and a MiG-3.  Otto starts opening up on the first one in range, the I-15.  The I-15 is landing some solid hits on my R wing and tail.  "Not good..."  Knowing Otto isn't exactly the most skilled, I take over.  I-15 was to have a very toasty day, as he soon catches fire.  "He's done..".  The I-16 follows the same path as the I-15, making it easy to get guns on him, but the MiG stays just under the clouds and gets a little over me.  I-16 opens up, raking my L wing, but mostly hitting fuselage.  My guess is he was going for a pilot kill as most of the rounds were front part of the plane.  #1 starts to put out a very slight white smoke from his attack but I manage to pay him back in greater, as he starts spouting thick black smoke.  That sent him packing.  "Now, where is the real trouble?"  Just as I start to scan high, I see tracers start pouring into my plane.  Hits are focused around the turret.  I only manage to get a few rounds off when, *Gunner Unconscious*  "Damn!"  He was doing the smart thing, going for the gunner.  I couldn't do anything but watch as he pumped every bit of his ammo into my Blenheim, screwing up just about everything except critical flight controls.  He focused on #1 and the L wing, but I lucked out for sure.  He ran out of ammo and had to RTB.  "Let's see if I can get home..."  Number 1 engine was hit and losing oil pretty quick, and I already was dealing with a handful as my wings were shot to hell, making it already a little tricky to fly.  I manage to get clear of all visible contacts when #1 goes dead.  Now I have full rudder just trying to keep her from rolling over, and with my wings so bad off, yeah.  A little tricky became a major pain in the arse.  "All's well..." I said to myself.  I have to keep #2 going at full or I will just fall out of the sky like a rock.  Slow, easy movements.  Let the plane steer herself.  Runway is just up ahead, get my flaps down and see what she'll do.  So far, a-okay.  In fact, she is a little more stable right now.  Throttle down a bit, get to 150 but keep gear up, don't want to drop until I'm off the runway.  She's starting to yaw a bit hard but still manageable.  Drop gear as I get to the runway, but made a fatal mistake.  I throttled down too much, she starts to yaw very hard to the left then snaps R, as R wing dips into the ground.  R wing rips off and as my Blenheim slams into the ground, breaks off the L wing.  She just skids down the runway a little before coming to rest.  While it did credit the MiG with the kill, it still said I performed a soft landing. :aok  In my book, I won. :D

In all due honesty, I got damn lucky.  But if this had happened in AH, I would have no wing's, and been in the tower ages ago.  WT has something AH doesn't, gradual damage.  A little quirky, but it is there.  AH is: It's there/it's not there.  I hate that about AH in all honesty, and really wish they would up the battle damage system a bit.

All in all, I enjoy both games quite a bit.  Aces High has a very nice Strategic depth to it that WT just can't compare to.  There is a LOT more to do in Aces High, which pretty much limited by your willingness to do it.  War Thunder is graphically very beautiful, with it at times looking like I'm watching a gun cam shot from WW2.  They have a gradual damage system in place that gives me some kind of chance to do something, rather than just *POP  No wing*.  Usually doesn't save my arse, but there HAVE been times. :)  They both have their pro's and con's.  :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »
Most of you are too gentlemanly to think of this, but you could find "ace" War Thunder pilots on Twitch.  Then tell them every ACM mistake they make, and when they protest, challenge them to a duel in Aces High.  That might get some converts.  Or at least attention to this game.

Why do AH players think that everyone wants to be challenged to pissing matches like it's an elementary school playground?
Plus, by the time they figure out how to use Aces High's clunky, ancient UI, they'll be tired of playing the game already
Like everyone else who considers it and then buzzes off to WT

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »
Regardless of how each of us feels, I think all of us probably agree that numbers are way, way down, and something needs to be done beyond just visuals upgrades.  Logged in at 8 pm central, 207 players in the MA, and none in the other arenas save the DA.  Titanic Tuesday's not so long ago I can recall having to wait to get in because it was full at times, and the Blue and Orange servers were the same deal, patiently waiting to get into the one your pals or squad was logged into. 

I'll repeat that it CAN be done, but action of SOME kind has to be taken, it isn't going to fix itself. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:19 AM »

Say what you will about WT.................

They have 13141 playing right now....

AH has 230....

If AH dies.......... where are we going? back to Warbirds?

CAVALRY

Star Citizen, maybe Elite: Dangerous.

Hello Kitty Island Adventure?  Angelina Jolie Kate Upton Bubble Bath Funtime Scramble?

It's an odd place AH is in, that's for sure.  I don't know what gameplay changes would work with this game to be honest.  I'd hate to see it lose the open world gameplay, but I truly think that's what makes it unpopular.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
I disagree with this.  War Thunder isn't totally unplayable if you don't play.  You can have a blast at lower tiers without paying anything.  Additionally, with the exception the specific premium planes, everything can be unlocked with the game earned currencies, albeit very slowly.  It's not anywhere near as pay2win as some of the games out there.  Also it's pretty much pay once, keep forever as once something is unlocked/leveled it stays that way, you don't have to keep paying to use it.  I've spent less money on war thunder than I have on Aces High in the past, and unlike Aces High I can keep playing it (as much or as little as I choose) without spending any more money.  Since I have most of the planeset already unlocked, I don't even have any strong reason to spend more money on it.  This is a pretty big advantage in my book.

All I know is that I got blasted by a La-5 while flying a WWI biplane. That doesn't happen in WoT.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
Star Citizen, maybe Elite: Dangerous.

I'd love to, but I will never have a computer meeting the minimum requirements of those ;)

I'd hate to see it lose the open world gameplay, but I truly think that's what makes it unpopular.

I beg to differ. See Eve Online... it's almost as open world as you can get, but it's vastly popular.
Open world may very well not appeal to everyone, but it's certainly not making any game unpopular as such. IMHO the open world concept has been, and still is, a huge asset of AH, possibly even it's greatest one. It's only really becoming a problem when the world is too 'open', too much space to avoid each other in a game which centers almost exclusively around battling each other. We are facing this particular problem recently on some large maps.

It's other factors that contributed to the decline in player numbers.

As to WT... I always feel a bit uneasy if a different, but somewhat likewise game is being mocked on a forum. Even more so when it comes from player who didn't even play it. There's a lot of shallow snobism to be found in such threads.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 06:44:54 AM »
As to WT... I always feel a bit uneasy if a different, but somewhat likewise game is being mocked on a forum. Even more so when it comes from player who didn't even play it. There's a lot of shallow snobism to be found in such threads.

If history repeats itself, AH will die away and the mockers will move to WT as happened with WB. I hope that wont happen.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
All I know is that I got blasted by a La-5 while flying a WWI biplane. That doesn't happen in WoT.

Yes, but you can have a AMX-40 run into a KV-1S, no? Same deal for both games, the MMs has limits and you found them. The Battle rating of the LA-5 is 3.0, so if you had researched any aircraft with a BR of 2.0 or higher and added it to your aircraft roster, then yes you would run into it.  The MM looks at the highest BR in your roster and goes with that. If you have a Mig-15 but the rest are Bi-planes you will be put into a high BR battle. sort of like Fail platoons in Wot, e.g. T1 Cunningham grouped up with a T-57 Heavy.

Now I like the fact that WT and WOT/WoWPs are around. They are drawing in many people to the Aircombat genre who may never have tried it before. It has a gentle learning curve and simple controls. As people try the Non-arcade style WT games, they start running into queues waiting for battles. Some realistic wait times can be 10 mins or more. I can take-off and find a battle in AH quicker than this most times. When the new engine and graphics are updated (including Hit sprites, Fire and Oil hits), AH needs to appeal to these players who are after something more. Let them know that waiting for 15mins is silly when they could take off right away and get into a high quality simulator air battle in <5 mins that will last until your dead or out of ammo. And if you do die, the battle is still there waiting with more targets!

For a first time player trying AH, they have a steep learning curve just to be able to fly around and land. There are no Video or in game tutorials to show how to Take-off, Land, Shoot, Drop bombs, adjust radio Channels, operate the chat box (it has functions most dont know about) and understand the Map. On top of this, many of AHs UI interfaces are not user friendly. They do provide the functionality, but I would love to see some streamlining and visuals. I hope that these can be addressed early in the new graphics update. A good Ad and high quality graphics may get people in, but to get them addicted you need to ease them into the game.

In short, WT and World of Tanks/War Planes have been a good thing for this genre.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »

To late.... been playing Iracing for years.

Cavalry

Road or Oval side?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
I beg to differ. See Eve Online... it's almost as open world as you can get, but it's vastly popular.

Sorry, I wasn't quite specific enough in that message.  It's the combination of open world, full PvP everywhere, realtime or 'twitch' style combat, MMO.  There is no game that is all four of those things that is widely popular.

It's other factors that contributed to the decline in player numbers.

I'm sure it's not the single factor, but I believe it's most of it.

Can't disagree with that, I don't consider WT to be all that similar to AH though.  I think people see a lot more similarity than there is when it comes to gameplay, and the differences are what makes it popular moreso than the similarities.  If it was spaceships instead of WWII aircraft, I don't think the popularity would be changed significantly.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:44:22 AM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »

I believe that I am guilty of negative comments against most F2P games and I have written that my own WT experience in the arenas was too alien to warm up to.  That does not mean that I think the whole effort is balls.  Lusche is correct.  We should not continue to sink into 'shouting at the devil'.  It's beneath us.  To that end, I confess that I have spent some secret flying hours 'researching' aircraft in WT 'offline'.   It is pretty cool visually.

If history repeats itself, AH will die away and the mockers will move to WT as happened with WB. I hope that wont happen.

I agree that could happen, but like MrRiplEy's hope, I believe that AH3 will herald a new beginning for the franchise. 

Our communal attitudes are overdue for a change if that is to happen.  That's not a verse from Barny's 'Happy Song'.  That's a reality.  We sometimes treat each other pretty poorly.  If I'm a new player (with choices) I would view Aces High with suspicion if I only read the boards or turned on 200.  There is a gulf of difference between camaraderie and sarcastic toxic waste. 

I believe a new pilot would prefer to be more anonymous in a community with bigger numbers.  Remember that a new player who wants to be competitive in Aces High, currently has little choice but to seek answers on this board.  We can think what we please, but we need to be more deliberate about what we say or write.  That's a 'real man' kind of thing.

Last point.  Air Warrior, War Birds, and Fighter Ace are titles that have come and gone.  Comparisons between those titles and Aces High are counter productive if not just a complete waste of time.  Each one of those games represents an iconic milestone in the history of on-line air combat. They were great - but they are dead.  War Thunder needs to be more objectively examined, if the previous posts here have credibility, for the things they are doing right and that are worth emulating - or bettering.  That is the best hope, in my opinion, for AH3.

With respect,

:salute

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
Yes, but you can have a AMX-40 run into a KV-1S, no?

That happens even if you pay. I have no idea about what you explain about WT, it was the first time (and last time) I tried to play it, I took the only plane I could get and went full realism. Flew around practically blind for 10 minutes and got bounced by a La-5 that seemed like a veteran player according to stats. So I didn't have any 'higher' planes anywhere it was the first time I logged in. First I had to wait like 15 minutes to even get a slot on a server, then 10 more minutes flying blind (no dar, horrible view system thats suitable only for trackir/vr etc) and getting bounced by a plane that you couldn't fight against even if you saw him. Doesn't look good to me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:38:48 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
Most of you are too gentlemanly to think of this, but you could find "ace" War Thunder pilots on Twitch.  Then tell them every ACM mistake they make, and when they protest, challenge them to a duel in Aces High.  That might get some converts.  Or at least attention to this game.

I cannot face palm any harder...  :bhead
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

This is a combination of matchmaker limits and War Thunder's typical Russian bias.  But, if you play Aces High don't pretend you took off in some 40 ENY plane and never got shot down by an La-7 in the MA.

The key thing to keep in mind is that War Thunder matches based on their battle rating system, so you have to set your lineup to a relatively evenly matched number