Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Aces High won't take off again because it's full of people who still like deftones and think Kanye West is bad

I guess Kanye West is good if you're into that crap.  Thing is, he's exceptionally bad at controlling his pie-hole otherwise.... then he marries Queen Biggabutt of the Nastyho tribe.  Genius.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »
Imagine HT going the same route as WT.  Free to play!  You get the P-40, A6M3, 202, 109E. The K4, P-51, D9 start at $25.

If it would limit the late war high speed 'one pass, haul a**' runners, I'd be all for it.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
Yep but WoT has at least found a pretty good balance - it's not totally unplayable even when played free unlike War Thunder.

I disagree with this.  War Thunder isn't totally unplayable if you don't play.  You can have a blast at lower tiers without paying anything.  Additionally, with the exception the specific premium planes, everything can be unlocked with the game earned currencies, albeit very slowly.  It's not anywhere near as pay2win as some of the games out there.  Also it's pretty much pay once, keep forever as once something is unlocked/leveled it stays that way, you don't have to keep paying to use it.  I've spent less money on war thunder than I have on Aces High in the past, and unlike Aces High I can keep playing it (as much or as little as I choose) without spending any more money.  Since I have most of the planeset already unlocked, I don't even have any strong reason to spend more money on it.  This is a pretty big advantage in my book.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
War thunder is poo

I am awesome :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
you don't have to keep paying to use it.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
War thunder= kanye west

Aceshigh = deftones

Hah, brilliant, that's advertising perfection right there IMO.

WT exists IMO as a marketing opportunity for this product here at HTC.  I truly feel this way.  It's popular enough and has enough thrust behind it in terms of word of mouth, advertising, and many favorable game reviews (quantity more than quality in this regard IMO), that it has introduced huge numbers of players to the WW2 online air combat genre.  Now it's just a matter of creating a product that is close enough in terms of the visuals, and completely blows it out of the water in terms of game play experience.  Even getting a single digit of a % of WT customers would be a company and game changing event for HTC IMO.  Luring these customers here from WT could most easily be accomplished by showing them things they are already familiar with (f2p), with the promise of something much more than that available as an option (monthly subscription part of the game).

I still believe that the key to increased subscribers is to blend the f2p model with what HTC has now, without engaging in the "battle of the pocketbook" cash for technology that goes in in current F2P games like WoT and such.  Allow players to engage in a f2p segment of the AH experience which allows them to see what is going on in the entire game, limit them from the really fun stuff, as an enticement to subscribe.  As I and others have said before, perhaps allow some vehicles and the Storch be free, perhaps PT boats, or better yet a new infantry controllable squad and the jeep, and allow perhaps 300 or whatever the servers could handle into the MA on top of the paying subscribers.  It'll give subscribers more targets and stuff to engage, stuff to do, as well as likely attract 10 percent of those f2p guys into the reg sub game.

With such a model, since F2P players will be fairly familiar with the entire MA game, reduce the current 2 week free trail to a much shorter period, so that the F2P customers get a brief and overwhelming dose of what having the entire inventory of vehicles and aircraft opened up is like, which IMO would increase subscription rates from this pack of new players.  Also create a streamlined, consolidated, and regularly updated game manual, and funnel this into the already excellent training corps.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:08:17 PM by Gman »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
If it would limit the late war high speed 'one pass, haul a**' runners, I'd be all for it.

I think what it would do is give life to early and mid war arenas.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
You will end up full circle back to the same freeloader tribes of tiny napoleons who killed the free HtH arenas. Then you would have bailing from the MA pay to play coming back in using 2 week subscriptions from time to time while camping out in the FtP. Wanting Hitech to go FtP I will venture, is also the posters admitting they like AH but, will accept a limited ride set to be able to play for free while enjoying the physics.

In essence a free equivalent of the old AW Small Europe arena. And for years back then we had player numbers and fights. Compared to AH today, was a very limited plane set with two vehicles. But, then I suspect some of you asking for FtP already know this.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
I have tried to get a few Co workers and friends that play war thunder, to try aces high, once again they look at graphics 97 YouTube and basically say, look at graphics, you pay 15 a month for that, I'm hoping with new engine the game looks alot better, I even showed my friend the new video and again graphics issue came up.

Boomhaur

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
Most of you are too gentlemanly to think of this, but you could find "ace" War Thunder pilots on Twitch.  Then tell them every ACM mistake they make, and when they protest, challenge them to a duel in Aces High.  That might get some converts.  Or at least attention to this game.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »

Say what you will about WT.................

They have 13141 playing right now....

AH has 230....

If AH dies.......... where are we going? back to Warbirds?

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
Wanting Hitech to go FtP I will venture, is also the posters admitting they like AH but, will accept a limited ride set to be able to play for free while enjoying the physics.

If that is directed towards my post, how did you come up with that idea?!  In fact the exact opposite is the idea I put forward, DENY that plane set from the FTP portion of the arena, while still letting them see and experience what's going on with them by being part of the action in a limited way in other units which aren't much used currently, or don't currently exist and would be created for this specific purpose.

A limited ride set being enjoyed you say?  All I mentioned was just the Storch.  Wow, that'll sure be some free physics that you'll be able  to enjoy for months there.  I've specifically said in that post and the two others I've made on the topic that the entire planeset outside of PERHAPS just the Storch would remain part of the subscription game, and the only FTP portions would be minimally used things like certain GVs and perhaps a new type of unit like an infantry squad or something like that.  I've subscribed for years now and played less than 1 hour a month for the last 2 years, it's obvious I'm not seeking a "free ride" as I pay still even when not playing, but rather to increase the numbers in the game to make that subscription actually worth it, as IMO it hasn't been for a long time, and I've only kept it up in the hopes that the long awaiting update will do just that - increase numbers.  New graphics alone though isn't going to be enough to sustain any temporary boost in numbers that it will bring IMO, hence the aformentioned ideas to get and keep more numbers.  It has nothing to do with price or getting a free game, I think I've made it obvious enough that the free to play part could/should be just enough to entice those FTP to join the full subscription service in enough numbers to warrant its existence.  

My idea is to have the FTP players and part of the game not be a hinderance to the subscribers, but in fact give them more human/live targets and things to do, while also creating a pool of ftp players that through observation and participation will come to see the value and fun of the full subscription environment and units, and increase the subscriber base when they join.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:42:36 PM by Gman »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »

Say what you will about WT.................

They have 13141 playing right now....

AH has 230....

If AH dies.......... where are we going? back to Warbirds?

CAVALRY

Racing Sims

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »

Racing Sims

To late.... been playing Iracing for years.

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
There's no worry about AH going to the F2P business model, HiTech already stated that he wouldn't use a F2P business model for a game like AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song