Author Topic: 30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality  (Read 11273 times)

Offline mold

• Copper Member
30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2003, 01:52:10 PM »
Incidentally, the "common" in common courtesy does not refer to the number of people who possess it.  Indeed there are groups of people in which common courtesy is hardly common.  Drivers in New Jersey come to mind. :D  "Common" refers to the fact that it applies to everyday situations, like shopping for groceries or playing an online game.

In any case, since honor doesn't matter, why are you still trying to defend your behavior?  One of the quotes in Shane's sig comes to mind:  "I love how slobberdonkeys try and justify their lameness."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2003, 01:58:02 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Seriously, it sounds like you need to find another game.  Soon.

Why?  Don't like it when I point out your deficiencies?  I'm doing just fine, thanks.  :aok  I'll continue to play the game and enjoy it, and avoid spawn camping folks such as yourself.

I display a general garment, and you claim it fits.  Everyone knows it's ugly, but you can hardly deny it since I guess too many have seen you wear it.  So instead of doing the sensible thing and changing your clothes, you make futile arguments like "But it's not ugly!  All clothes are ugly!  Who cares if it's ugly?  Not me!"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2003, 02:28:18 PM »
Originally posted by mold
Incidentally, the "common" in common courtesy does not refer to the number of people who possess it.  Indeed there are groups of people in which common courtesy is hardly common.  Drivers in New Jersey come to mind. :D  "Common" refers to the fact that it applies to everyday situations, like shopping for groceries or playing an online game.
[/B]

Except it doesn't apply to online games.  At least not those where gameplay allows for all types of conduct and even encourages them.

In any case, since honor doesn't matter, why are you still trying to defend your behavior?  One of the quotes in Shane's sig comes to mind:  "I love how slobberdonkeys try and justify their lameness."

I'm not justifying my behavior because it doesn't require justification.  What I'm doing is attempting to show you the wrong-headedness of your continuously incorrect claims that players in AH should follow some code of honor.  The real gem of it was your statement that those who don't are less than human but not even worthy of being called animals.  Priceless.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:34:26 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2003, 02:30:54 PM »
Why?  Don't like it when I point out your deficiencies?  I'm doing just fine, thanks.  :aok  I'll continue to play the game and enjoy it, and avoid spawn camping folks such as yourself.
[/B]

LOL!  What's funny is that I honestly think you believe that you're pointing out my deficiencies.  Or that somehow you're doing anything other than looking like a total moron in this thread.

Posting about the subhuman nature of honorless players sure indicates to me that something's getting under your collar.  What's even funnier is the fact that you just admitted that you can avoid spawn campers and continue to enjoy yourself.  Great!  And others can spawn camp and enjoy themselves.  And so on and so forth.

I display a general garment, and you claim it fits.  Everyone knows it's ugly, but you can hardly deny it since I guess too many have seen you wear it.  So instead of doing the sensible thing and changing your clothes, you make futile arguments like "But it's not ugly!  All clothes are ugly!  Who cares if it's ugly?  Not me!"

You really need to work on those analogies.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:35:40 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2003, 02:50:45 PM »
Except it doesn't apply to online games.  At least not those where gameplay allows for all types of conduct and even encourages them.

The point you continually gloss over and have not been able to respond to is that this is a community in addition to a game.  So--have you ever saluted someone for a good fight?

You really need to work on those analogies.

You really need to work on your responses.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2003, 03:01:37 PM »
Well...as to where I'm coming from, I think that folks should behave decently in the game, even though the game itself is something that doesn't matter.  I try to do so myself, and appreciate it when others do the same.  I put things like spawn camping and vulching in the "dishonorable" category.  Such behaviour is obviously going to persist whether I like it or not, but these are my opinions anyway.

I also feel that it is an excuse to say that "these are dots on the screen, so it doesn't matter how I behave".  I think making such excuses is an indication that the perpetrator is really not comfortable with his own behavior, whether he admits it to himself or not.

You live in Europe by chance?

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2003, 03:03:36 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
...wow...only a year?

Now I AM depressed.

- oldman

(Really?  Just a year?)

(Rats)

Ahhh...AWDOS...where men were men and Az's were abused and liked it....those were truly the good ol days.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2003, 03:04:44 PM »
gives Molds pixel puppy a good swift kick.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2003, 03:04:57 PM »
Slapshot--

Aren't you one of the folks who doesn't care about the "war" in AH?  That you just want to have fun?  Why do you care if many GVs are headed to your base?  Isn't it more fun to let an enemy get some alt to fight him, than to vulch him?  Where's the fun in vulching?  Why do you care if the enemy is going to come back again?  This is just a game, right?  And IIRC you are also against pork-fuel-augers, right?  I don't like them either.  Tell me, what's the difference between a fuel porker and a spawn camper?

Ask Voss...he'll know.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2003, 03:48:05 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
You live in Europe by chance?

Nope.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2003, 04:10:59 PM »
The rules are written in the stone
break the rules, and you get no bones.
All you get is Ridicule, laughter
and a trip to the house of pain

What is the law?
No Vulch n00bs
and who makes the law?
A guy named Mold.

I swear theres a song in here... (With apologies to Oingo Boingo).

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2003, 04:46:13 PM »
The point you continually gloss over and have not been able to respond to is that this is a community in addition to a game.  So--have you ever saluted someone for a good fight?
[/B]

For someone who talks so much of this community, you demonstrate precious little familiarity with it.

You really need to work on your responses.

Slayed by rapier wit.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2003, 07:23:44 PM »
If I read these posts correctly, Mold seems to be saying we should have a kinder...gentler AH. What he seems to disregard is the underlying point of AH and games of it's ilk...the ability to shoot people and blow things up with virtual impunity.

This stuff is bona fide escapest entertainment and it should be dealt with (and consumed) as such. Vulchers, spawn campers, suicide jabos, furballers, buff weenies, etc.....are part of the game. The trick for HTC is not to disallow any of them. But, instead, find ways to balance them. Example: I don't believe HTC should perk bombs to stop the suicide jabos. Hell, that would punish the legit players that use bombs. I believe they should punish them for dying (ie...you die...you get no score). This would not stop anyone that really wanted to suicide bomb. But, it would insure that they weren't rewarded for doing it.

The MA is designed as a place for free-form gameplay. You want to be the white knight and always fight with honor??? Go for it. It is allowed. You want to be one of the guys in black hats??? Go for it. THAT is the point of the MA. Attempts to inject the MA game with a Moral Code are pointless (as they should be). I, personally, do not want HTC or anyone else tellling me how I have to play the game. I have played games like that before.... BORING!.

Honor and respect in the game are given to those that earn them. This is as it should be.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2003, 07:41:54 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
The trick for HTC is not to disallow any of them.

Certainly not.  We are free to behave as we choose.

The MA is designed as a place for free-form gameplay. You want to be the white knight and always fight with honor??? Go for it. It is allowed. You want to be one of the guys in black hats??? Go for it.

Sure.  But don't jump on me if I say "there are a lot of people wearing black hats."  Or, to put it another way, "Honor is a scarce commodity."

Attempts to inject the MA game with a Moral Code are pointless (as they should be). I, personally, do not want HTC or anyone else tellling me how I have to play the game.

True.  Behavior shouldn't be forced, and that is the way I want it as well.  We are also free to say that certain methods of play are lame.

Honor and respect in the game are given to those that earn them. This is as it should be.

Agreed.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2003, 07:49:39 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me NB
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..