Author Topic: 30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality  (Read 11262 times)

Offline mold

• Copper Member
30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2003, 05:27:58 PM »
Slapshot--

Aren't you one of the folks who doesn't care about the "war" in AH?  That you just want to have fun?  Why do you care if many GVs are headed to your base?  Isn't it more fun to let an enemy get some alt to fight him, than to vulch him?  Where's the fun in vulching?  Why do you care if the enemy is going to come back again?  This is just a game, right?  And IIRC you are also against pork-fuel-augers, right?  I don't like them either.  Tell me, what's the difference between a fuel porker and a spawn camper?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2003, 07:12:47 PM »
Originally posted by mold
Slapshot--

Aren't you one of the folks who doesn't care about the "war" in AH?  That you just want to have fun?  Why do you care if many GVs are headed to your base?  Isn't it more fun to let an enemy get some alt to fight him, than to vulch him?  Where's the fun in vulching?  Why do you care if the enemy is going to come back again?  This is just a game, right?  And IIRC you are also against pork-fuel-augers, right?  I don't like them either.  Tell me, what's the difference between a fuel porker and a spawn camper?

Yes I don't care about winning the war ... and I do have fun ... that has no relevance to my examples.

Why do I care if GVs are coming to my base ... cause their 1st intent is to frag the base if they can ... ergo ... pork the fuel and hangers.

Nothing better that a good air-to-air fight. If the furball pushes back to their base and the opportunity presents itself ... I will shoot you on the runway. No questions asked.

Want to stop vulching ... don't try to up when a base is capped with multiple aircraft. I surely don't try to up under those conditions, so anybody that is foolish enough to try and up under those conditions deserves to get vulched. They bring it upon themselves. Its Darwinism at its finest.

The difference between a fuel-porker and a spawn camper ? The fuel-porker is typically a no-skilled dweeb and a spawn camper is one that uses expertise to position and flank the enemy so as to ambush them. Spawn camping is simply an ambush ... its done all the time in war.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2003, 08:04:31 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Nothing better that a good air-to-air fight. If the furball pushes back to their base and the opportunity presents itself ... I will shoot you on the runway. No questions asked.

Why?  Not to win the war, certainly...

Want to stop vulching ... don't try to up when a base is capped with multiple aircraft. I surely don't try to up under those conditions, so anybody that is foolish enough to try and up under those conditions deserves to get vulched. They bring it upon themselves. Its Darwinism at its finest.

I agree and I don't.  Perhaps they deserve to be vulched, but that doesn't excuse vulching.

The difference between a fuel-porker and a spawn camper ? The fuel-porker is typically a no-skilled dweeb and a spawn camper is one that uses expertise to position and flank the enemy so as to ambush them. Spawn camping is simply an ambush ... its done all the time in war.

I disagree.  It takes as much skill to hit a fuel dump and auger, as it does to sit at a spawn and camp.  Fuel is hit all the time in war too.  But I believe neither of us cares about the war in the MA, so it is not relevant.  I see these things as one and the same, and actually I am quite surprised that the furball crowd embraces these things.  Spawn camp and vulch seem like strat stuff--keeping the base under submission while the jabos hit the base.  Not for those who are in it for air-to-air.

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2003, 08:34:38 PM »
It seems like some may be straying from the intended topic, of course it can all be linked, I feel some mat be sstraying from the focus.

Really this thread was meant to see if there are others out there who feel the horde tendencies in the MA are making the game less fun. I haven't been on tonite yet, had fun last nite.

I am hopeful people will want to raise the bar back up a couple notches, challenge themselves to stray from the flock a bit- so to speak.

Anton

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2003, 09:33:54 PM »
Why?  Not to win the war, certainly...
[/B]

He does it because it's enjoyable to him.  There need be no other objective.

I agree and I don't.  Perhaps they deserve to be vulched, but that doesn't excuse vulching.
[/B]

Vulching doesn't need excusing.  It just is.  You're going to have to deal with the fact that vulching does not represent a breach of moral conduct, or you're going to grow tired quickly by your righteous indignance at every instance of it.  It's not a matter of showing "dignity" in a game, because it's part of the game itself.  What many of us already understand and you somehow fail to grasp is that vulching or chute shooting or gangbanging or whatever are no less dignifed than fast breaks in basketball or powerplays in hockey.  It's absolutely ridiculous to attribute moral weight to it.

That said, I also understand Anton's frustration with the fact that gameplay seems dominated by these types of behavior.  It appears that his complaint stems more from an overabundance of the activities rather than the indignity they inflict individually.  In other words, he feels his enjoyment suffers because the other team is always on the power play or always running fast breaks, not because these activities alone appear dishonorable or morally reprehensible.

I see these things as one and the same, and actually I am quite surprised that the furball crowd embraces these things.  Spawn camp and vulch seem like strat stuff--keeping the base under submission while the jabos hit the base.  Not for those who are in it for air-to-air.

This statement shows me how little you understand.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2003, 11:29:21 PM »

There is no excuse for being vulched. A quick look around from the tower and anyone can see if a field is capped.

Bottomline...being vulched is Mother Nature's way of telling you...YOU ARE STUPID!! :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2003, 04:48:26 AM »
Ettiquette in combat is the gift of the victor............ never the right of the victim.
Ludere Vincere

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2003, 06:35:07 AM »
well that's sig material.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2003, 06:41:13 AM »
Spawn camping is simply an ambush ... its done all the time in war.
I love the way you TAS guys remind me time and time again that the MA is in no way a re-enactment of WW2, but when you seek support for something you've said, or want to challenge something in the MA that you feel is wrong, you resort to comparisons with RL armed conflict. Rude has done it, and Mr. Toad has been known to pontificate about the seemingly invincible properties of the PNZR pintle position because that's not the way it was in WW2.  It all comes under the heading of Selective Realism™. LOL TAS! You're all pansies. :D

Tilt! "Ettiquette in combat is the gift of the victor............ never the right of the victim."  I don't agree with that. Or at least I don't agree with that as a justification for some of the underhand ungentlemanly crap we see in the MA - kill stealing, chute shooting, shooting a guy who's landing, shooting a flaming wreck to get kill points. There's no need for it. None. But it's all symptomatic of a "Me First" attitude amongst the AH subscribership.

"Once you have your man on the canvas, that ought to be an end to it" - Lord Darlington (played by James Fox) commenting on the folly of the victorious Allies persecution of Germany after WW1 in the movie "The Remains of the Day".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 09:45:17 AM by beet1e »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2003, 08:14:06 AM »
beetle, that's because there is no social structure that forces us to refrain from doing certain things, in AH.

We do what we want to do, and nobody stops at anything. In a large sense, it's the same thing as the recent ethical discussions concerning the internet culture of anonymity - some of us get to meet offline and deepen the experience from 'just another gamer' to 'a guy you've met'. You don't swear, spray, rely on incessant HO, rant, kill steal your friends. However, you do all those things against everyone else in the MA - while they talk, and communicate with us, they are still nothing but bunch of words and letters behind a certain game handle.

In this particular debate, I really view myself as a 3rd person - and in that sense, I really can't figure out everybody is obsessed with things like "honor".

I don't think this is just about the game, but more of what conveys our personal attitudes to someone else we meet in an online environment. Some people are exceptionally fair and polite to their personal friends, but are incredibly hostile and bi*chy against people who they do not really know. I've seen some respected 'ace' pilots being superbly polite and 'honorable' when they meet certain squad members, or certain people they acknowledge, and yet whine and moan and insult other people when they get shot down. I think that goes for each and every one of us - the fact that no matter what we have argued in this thread, we have contradicted our very own words more than once, while playing this game.

As for me, it really is a matter of curiosity - what comes natural and what not? I've been a vulcher and a vulchee, a spawn camper and a spawn campee, HOer and a HOee(although I don't think there's such difference in the case of HOs..) and etc etc.

Certain things of necessity I tend to keep - for instance of vulching, vulching is fun and profitable, but after a while, seeing the same guy up again and again, I tend to pity him a bit. I think I can find a certain point of self-control or consciousness where I recall that while in such competition all of us are here to enjoy this as a game, and probably the guy being vulched over and over are hurt in his ego or feelings or whatever. As long as I know he isn't much of a threat just getting up, I'll larry off grabbing more alt, try and intercept defenders from other bases and do a few good things for my countrymen.

Doesn't this kind of action come naturally? I've never thought of myself as goody-two-shoes, it's just what naturally follows during the course of battle in the MA - for me, that is. But sometimes seeing both sides so much centered on themselves - as one side is recklessly obsessive about killing things anyway they can, and the other side is also recklessly obsessive about bringing a Chivalric Code into the game - and showing so much hostility against each other, is really confusing.

Funny thing is, many of the people so harshly supporting the dog-eat-dog nature of MA in this thread, isn't like that at all in the MA. To be fair, I've also seen people who emphasize so much upon all the 'gentlemanly conducts' not being gentlemanly at all.

In that sense, I think the thread is getting over-heated ;) The MA is sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. But everybody walks the middle path in one way or another, and the hostility they portray in this thread is rarely so high in actual gaming in MA.

Maybe you guys should grab a breather and cool your heads a bit. :) Just a suggestion. Everybody talks role of the macho hard-liner in the forums, but I don't doubt there's a certain level of consciousness and self control within everybody - at least to an extent.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2003, 08:36:51 AM »
moving the fields closer tgether would fix everything.   The fights would be large and fairly even or... pushed back to a field that was overwhelmed.

the people with some sort of bizzare idea of honor in AH would think that all us furballers were helping them and playing by their rules and..... we could just have fun and ignore them.

lazs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2003, 08:54:41 AM »
..wow...only a year?

Now I AM depressed.

- oldman

(Really? Just a year?)

(Rats)

Oldman

:) I had been slaughtering AI opponents since Their Finest Hour in 1988; several thousand  kills in Red Baron, out turning Zeroes in my P-47 in Aces of the Pacific, fighting Migs with my Saber in Chuck Yeager and was even undefeated among a handful of friends playing AW offline with a null modem for a few months.  

Suddenly, the SVGA AW (DOS) FR arena was an unforgiving high leathality environment unlike any offline game I had played. I might have been tempted into being a fuel porking suicide dweeb myself  except for the fact that that wasn't much of an option. Bombing was pretty much a means to an end -- getting a field closer to the A2A action.

Charon

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2003, 09:11:56 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
You don't swear, spray, rely on incessant HO, rant, kill steal your friends.

I do!  :D

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2003, 09:34:17 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
He does it because it's enjoyable to him.  There need be no other objective.

OK.  Are you with lazs in despising fuel porkers and "battling toolsheds"?  They are just in it for fun.  Vulching and spawn camping are as pointless as toolshed-battling, and even more skilless to boot.  Why do you not despise these things as well?

It's not a matter of showing "dignity" in a game, because it's part of the game itself.

So is pork augering fuel.  Just "being in the game" does not make it acceptable conduct.

This statement shows me how little you understand.

That is a non-response.  Please explain.

Originally posted by Tilt
Ettiquette in combat is the gift of the victor............ never the right of the victim.

You are right.  I personally don't get vulched, but nevertheless I do not expect etiquette as a right.  But those who claim to take moral stands against things like pork-auger are hypocrites if they turn around and spawn camp.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 09:43:15 AM by mold »

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2003, 10:58:13 AM »
I do!  :D

-- Todd/Leviathn

me too!!  and i killshooter!!!
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.