Author Topic: What is the greatest thing that America has given the world.  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
What is the greatest thing that America has given the world.
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2004, 08:34:38 AM »
btw personally I'd say greatest thing America has given was their sacrifices in ww2 but then again russians did even worse in that area.

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »
I'm not getting any more into this.

Your hatred of the US shows more and more.  You people couldn't possibly acknowlege one damned good thing about this country without making some stupid barb.  Your right, we suck.  We rape pilliage and destroy.  Our system hasn't brought a damned bit of good to this world.  I am absolutely sure that we are the source of world evil.  I mean, the fact that we can have a web boards in this country where all you people can come and tell us how much we suck just emphasises how much we suck.  Cripes, I can bet that such freedom loving countries as Iraq and Iran would love to host this board once the evil US shuts it down.

BTW, there is no such thing as 'international law'.  It's a nice little catch phrase.  There is no world governing body so how can there be 'international law'.  Some of you people may wish the UN was it but I am sure that will change once the UN comes after you.  Sorry, I don't wan't my national policy decisions made by people that hate me.

Maybe the US will start allowing US citizens to be prosecuted by world courts when the UN stops allowing those great respectors of human rights-syria and libya (I left the caps out intentionally) aren't allowed on the human rights commissions there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 09:48:03 AM by wklink »
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2004, 09:49:14 AM »
That is incorrect. US law apply to anyone within US legal jurisdiction regardless of nationality ... which is why it is so practical having a nice little Gestapo camp like Guantanamo in Cuba, outside US legal jurisdiction.

Every country use's it's own laws in it's own sovereign territory.  Every Country goes against something the "International" court rules is wrong.  Let's talk about whaling in Norway....

http://www.greenpeace.se/norway/english/9camp/4whales/wha_bak.htm

http://greennature.com/article619.html

Your wrong.  Guantanamo is considered US Soil, just like an embassy or other Military Base.  All US laws apply.

The reason the PUC's (person under control) are not in the legal status of prisoner's of war is that would legitimize AQ as a legal combatant.  They are not.  They are criminals who operate outside the law.

US law is in uncharted territory with the camps.  It has taken a long time for the legal system to decide:

WHO should try them - Military, civilian, or International courts?

Where those trials should be conducted?

There has been lots of firsts in the Gitmo situation.  You can thanks the Lawyers for big delay between capture and trail.  In the future it will not be so long now that those questions have worked their way the US legal system and the trials are underway.

Crumpp

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2004, 09:53:05 AM »
Originally posted by Glas
TV is one of the most hotly disputed inventions ever.  Afaik there is a Scotsman, Englishman, Frenchman, Russian and Yank all having some sort of claim to it.

Other famous Scottish inventions/inventors:

if its not Scottish, its craaaap !  :)

storch

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2004, 10:06:15 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
There's also different international laws but your country has never been much interested about obeying them.

Talking about bill of rights when thread's title is "What is the greatest thing that America has given the world" is kinda amusing, especially when it looks like american laws do not apply if the person in question is from abroad.

So if I come to USA and get caught about speeding thru some smalltown USA at 120mph who's laws are you going to use, US or Finnish ?

I'm not going to cheapen this thread by trolling your troll.  However your example is not very well thought out.  Read what you wrote.  Perhaps something is lost in the translation.  You as foreignor have no guarantees of rights in America.  If while visiting our Great and generous country you break our laws and are caught you will be tried, convicted, sentenced and executed by our laws.  If, as in your example you bear arms against the United States and are captured you will be tried by a Military tribunal whereupon you will be convicted, sentenced and executed.  I hope that clears it up somewhat.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2004, 11:06:14 AM »
Wklink
   nice hit, easy cleared the center field fence.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »
Norway has been an active member of the IWC ever since the organization was established in 1946."

Yeah they just violate it when they choose and then make excuses.  Just like your doing.

So take your high horse and shove it.

You really need to study what is going in on alittle bit more.  From the day the first Prisoner showed up in Gitmo US lawyers started filing suits to answer the questions I posed earlier.  
Some just want the fame and reputation enhancement winning will get them whether they are for the prosecution or the defense.

Crumpp

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:48 AM »
BTW

It is just as correct as your assumption about Gitmo.

Crumpp

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2004, 11:16:55 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Velvet Elvis paintings.

Hey i got one of them !!!!  wanted one for ever just couldnt find one then  one day i was at a party store where i always stopped and the owner (arab dude) says hey you like Elvis ?   I was like ya sure, then he asks if i want a Elvis picture and whips out a Velvet Elvis

Man was i happy as a pig in sheeot:aok
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2004, 01:10:31 PM »
Originally posted by Kadesh
Lol.

You disagree?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
btw personally I'd say greatest thing America has given was their sacrifices in ww2 but then again russians did even worse in that area.

The Russians didn't make sacrifices for some nobel cause or to help anyone out...they were fighting for their survival, plain and simple.

They allied themselves with the Nazis and paid the price for trustng them. The Russians were no friend of the west and they proved that even before the war was over.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2004, 01:21:50 PM »
When someone just responds 'LOL' to a post they disagree with, all it means is that they don't know how to say why they disagree.  Either they can't think of evidence, or they just 'feel' they disagree with it.  They'll usually try, when you confront them on it, to say that they thought the ridiculousness of the parent message was so obvious, all they had to do was laugh derisively.  They may also say that they consider arguing pointless because of their audience, but this of course fails to explain why they laughed in the first place.

All in all, a single like 'LOL' response is the hallmark of what scientists have classified as a 'handsomehunk'.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2004, 01:24:18 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
When someone just responds 'LOL' to a post they disagree with, all it means is that they don't know how to say why they disagree.  Either they can't think of evidence, or they just 'feel' they disagree with it.  They'll usually try, when you confront them on it, to say that they thought the ridiculousness of the parent message was so obvious, all they had to do was laugh derisively.  They may also say that they consider arguing pointless because of their audience, but this of course fails to explain why they laughed in the first place.

All in all, a single like 'LOL' response is the hallmark of what scientists have classified as a 'handsomehunk'.

LOL ... errrr ... I mean ... yeah! :D

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2004, 01:27:31 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy

LOL!

(couldnt help it)  :D

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2004, 02:32:33 PM »
Nice point Crump

Those that ride the high horse tend to get hit with the most branches.

I think Norway has made significant contributions to the world.  So have most countries in Europe and  Asia, even those that I don't politically agree with.  Heck I could say something positive about many countries in the middle east.  If this was a 'greatest thing Britain/France/China gave to the world' thread I could easily come up with a half a dozen things for all of them.  

I certainly wouldn't take the time to pick jabs at them.  Who said anyplace was perfect.  I do bristle at the Nazi references.  If we had the 'gestapo' in place to you honestly think half of our American posters would still be here.  The fact that people can post on a board like this without fear of the political police taking them in for re-education should be proof enough that there is no 'Gestapo' here.  Comments like that really set me on my ear.  It's an insult to the thousands of political dissidents that died under Nazi rule.  They deserve better than to be diminished in that manner.

I guess that is taking the high road.  Fewer branches there.
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield