Author Topic: New idea what do you ladies and gentlemen think.  (Read 20776 times)

Offline RvrndMax

• Zinc Member
New idea what do you ladies and gentlemen think.
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2004, 11:02:57 AM »
Hey Skuzzy - can we get a lock here ? HiTech is obviously Trolling ... Hahahaha

Don't change a thing Dale .... Please .

Numbers is not a problem . Take away my ride or make me sit in a corner because 40 of my countrymen just logged on , now we have a problem .

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »
Originally posted by Muddie
Only problem there is affecting scoring won't work with the players like me that don't care diddly bout score.   No incentive at all.

Muddie,
My idea is not intended to affect you. It's only intended to affect the score chasers. Score chasers, whether entire squads or lone wolfs care more about their score than what type of plane they fly or what country they fly for. They'll jump at the chance for an extra edge in scoring.

That's fine with me. No one is denied their plane of choice or time in the air. Organized squad nights are not affected. Squads that only fly the P-51D will be able to always fly it.

But the score hounds will switch to the outnumbered side to get their scores boosted. It doesn't take a large number of switchers to dramatically change the balance because there is a two times effect when a switch occurs.  For example:

Rooks 150, Nits 125, Bish 100.

To even things out it only takes 25 Rooks to switch. More likely 15 would switch:

Rooks 135, Nits 125, Bish 115

The Rooks have gone from a 50% advantage over the Bish to a 17% advantage.

And if just 5 Nit score chasers switch too:
Rooks 135, Nits 120, Bish 120. Hardly an imbalanced arena.

Let the score chasers balance out the arena, and leave the rest of us to fly what and when we want!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2004, 11:31:52 AM »
Translation of MOSQ: , I do not care about score, so make that the balance mechanic.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2004, 11:53:08 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Translation of MOSQ: , I do not care about score, so make that the balance mechanic.

HiTech,
To put it succinctly, YES.

The difference between the balance ideas is that the score idea does not deny any of your customers their time in the air or the type of plane they fly. It just gives an incentive to the score chasers to switch sides.

And the score chasers can still fly their LA-7s and P-51s.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2004, 12:02:57 PM »
Hitech, how about 'layering' the planeset?

By this I mean that airfields near the 'front' will only have early war planes (1938-1940) enabled. Fields 'midway' will have only mid-war planes (41-42), and only the rear airfields will have the 'late' war planes (43-45) enabled.

of course, as fields are captured,  the fields would update to reflect their position in the 'front'.

In a # imbalanced arena, the side that has been pushed far back will find itself with their full planesets enabled while the attackers will have only early and midwar enabled (unless they fly their late wars from waaaay away).

Side #'s imbalances will happen no matter what, so why not make a system that makes side imbalances be....not that bad? I'd be thrilled to log on and see one side near defeat and know i can up a P-51D while the majority of the saps ill be facing will be in P-40's or SpitV's :D

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2004, 12:05:33 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
I see your point, but as it is now people can care little for perk points.  They need a reason to care.  With a fully scaleable perk system you might get more balance without haveing to greatly limit other areas to achive this balance.  

I mean.... as the multiplyer works now it just effects your points earned and cost of planes.  It could effect the price of planes themselves, into the negative.  If your country has too many players and your perk multipler is like 0.70 maybe the p51d/la7 and similar eny planes should cost a couple of perks, increaseing in price as the multiplyer decreases.  Likewise if a country has a 1.80 multiplyer a plane like the f4u-ic might be free.  As the multiplyer increase maybe a plane like the 152 becomes free.

The point is....as the multiplyer decreases for a country with overwhelming numbers more and more planes could cost more and more perks.  Forceing players to use perks or fly high ENY planes.  This would increase the effect of the perk system by makeing perks more useful, and needed.

Something like this may not be a fix alone, but could allow you to take less extreme measures elsewhere.  I always felt the uses of the perk system haven't been fully explored.  Allowing the tradeing of perks, for instance, would have the double effect of being able to gamble with perks too :D  Anyway, I think if you make the perk system mean more, it might have more of an effect.

Yea, what he said.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Re: Unpopular
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2004, 12:14:20 PM »
Originally posted by TalonX
I still think you should have to wait if you get shot down.....I don't care about numbers....

Shotdown and killed - 5 minutes to re-up

Ditched/Bailed - 3 minutes

Landed on the runway - Instant re-up possible...

More realistic.....  Might make you think before you DIE

Might turn the masses into runners and all we would see are p51s and la7.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Re: Re: Unpopular
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2004, 12:22:15 PM »
Originally posted by SunKing
Might turn the masses into runners and all we would see are p51s and la7.

Yup.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »
I got kinda quiet on this Issue.    I suppose I should add this.

HT, I hope it works as you intend.  Im willing to give it my support.    :)

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2004, 12:32:49 PM »
So whats the final verdict HT?

When will we see this put in place?

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2004, 01:12:43 PM »
Welp...just back from vacation and this was an interesting read :).

It would appear that the folks most affected by this change will be the one trick pony type of driver (note: not a slam at P51 drivers :)). I have doubts as to the effect it will have on arena numbers. But, I can see where it would impact the diversity of enemy planes that I get to see.

This could be interesting :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2004, 01:58:59 PM »
This will affect others besides the score chasers, which is why I really think it'll work.

I'm betting less experienced players are attracted to more populous team for the safety factor. In a swarm of green cons, it's easier to go unnoticed by the red guys -- and the red guys are more likely to be concerned about their own aluminum skins. Combine that with a high performance airframe, and newbies can stay airborne for longer periods than they're used too, mabe even get a kill or two on the vulchway.

With this system, the comfort of numbers will be balanced by having to fly in an inferior aircraft. Running will be harder, because the outnumbered Lala can chase down the Fw190A5 or whatever.

HiTech, i'd really suggest an explicit notice be made on the Hangar screen when the system kicks in. Rub our faces in it -- "The following aircraft are disabled due to numbers disparity: SpitIX, P51D, La7....." We have to make sure that the newbies know about their side's disadvantage; don't assume they'll figure it out, because some have trouble understanding why the throttle's important at first. ;) At the same time, the message reminds squads why they should consider moving to a lower number team.

the point is motivating country change when it's necessary -- so provide clear feedback to trigger the desired decision!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2004, 02:50:40 PM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
My idea is not intended to affect you. It's only intended to affect the score chasers. Score chasers, whether entire squads or lone wolfs care more about their score than what type of plane they fly or what country they fly for. They'll jump at the chance for an extra edge in scoring.

But if score is their only motive they wont be using the banned ENY planes anyhow, those are almost impossible to really score with. I landed 6 kills in a 51D and got 1 or 2 points,  then landed three in a D11 and got 30+.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »
I thought the same thing at first, Edbert -- but I think they're talking about SCORE chasers, not PERK chasers.

Skilled pilots who want maximal KPD, Kills per Hour, etc may in fact be more likely to want high performance planes even at the cost of perks. Those guys might like safety of the high numbers team too -- so the proposal really could shift them away from the largest team
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
Uh-oh, fox-boy had a brainwave..
« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2004, 03:17:02 PM »
How about a combination of ideas? Timer with ENY-limiting for the large team? Let me explain..

Say the rooks (I'm  a Rook BTW) had the numbers they were havin a week ago, 50+ advantage at the least.
Say I up in a 110G2, and suffer a case of smoking hole syndrom.
Bam, five minute timer. Now, with the timer in place, I cannot fly, say, planes with less than 25 ENY value. As the timer expires, the limit slowly fades away, until I can fly anything again.

Best of both worlds, I think, as it penalizes the larger team, though not permanently, and it makes being grounded during 'time-out' optional.

It also makes alot of sense realisticly. Would the brass let you take up a shiney new Dora after you turned the last three into lawn-darts? No, they'd stick you in the Emil that's been sitting in a cornfield with the rats from NIMH living it in.

Ok, brain-storm mode off, please dont hurt me, especially if someone already suggested this.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)