Author Topic: America VS the world  (Read 2910 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
America VS the world
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
LOL we do?

well, yes, alot of you do.

(may i reiterate here that my intentions are for peacefull discussion, not flame wars.)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Jayclark

• Copper Member
America VS the world
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »
yeah? well you got bad ....er....teeth.....um....han g on..er.

I know you can do better than that.  ;)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
America VS the world
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005, 01:52:02 PM »
Originally posted by Jayclark
I know you can do better than that.  ;)

ok.

i know i could too, but as stated, my intentions are peacfull discusion, not weather the USA is striken with obesity or the UK full of toothless ameristalkers.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Muckmaw1

• Nickel Member
America VS the world
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2005, 01:58:19 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
ok.

i know i could too, but as stated, my intentions are peacfull discusion, not weather the USA is striken with obesity or the UK full of toothless ameristalkers.

You can't see this thread beginning to deteriorate already?

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
America VS the world
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 02:09:35 PM »
America= Apples
Europe= Oranges

There are some things that even if they are explained some folks just wouldnt understand. Two very different life styles and neither is wrong but it always comes across that alot of folks across the pond seem to know whats best for the US.

Take gun control for instance. Say what ever you want about any scenerio and what not and the numbers show that gun control doesnt work.

I guess the question I want to ask is when a European country/ state gets into some kind of conflict with another country and their military isnt strong enough, who will they eventualy get help from?

America may have problems but in the end we try to help out where and when we can and at a cost to tax payers.

How would the european country who has constantly bashed America for everything its doing, knows whats best for America,
 and knows beyond a doubt thinks we'll be there to bail them out, How would they feel when we (insert government represenative of choice) says "Sure we'll help ya out but its gonna cost you for America to come to your aid and protect you"?

Now I'm not talking about being a mercanary type military and making money for services. I'm talking about having the country needing protection paying the expenses incurred by providing protection for them. Fuel costs, wages, maintenance, etc. it all adds up.

I'm all for helping folks out when they need it for good reasons. I'm just tired of paying for it in the various different ways out of my pocket. I think its time for the others to cough it up and to cough it up big.

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
America VS the world
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
I don't hate the rest of the world. I dislike it when foreigners seem to feel it is their civic duty to inform me of my country's shortcomings at every opportunity. Unfortunately, that includes at least 50% of the non-US posters on this board. Basically you're asking: "Why do you guys always react the same way whenever we criticize you?"
mini d thats the best post in the thread so far:)

there is not a country on this planet that dont bash anothers beleifs or laws,,thats why we have wars and why people cant get along

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
America VS the world
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 02:32:33 PM »
Basically you're asking: "Why do you guys always react the same way whenever we criticize you?"

and we could add to that...  "when we are only trying to help you be more like us?"

We don't want to be like you... mostly we think you are wrong.

and mechanic... we don't even know where you are from.

lazs

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
America VS the world
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »
I believe he is from the UK. Could be wrong and if I am I do apologize in advance.

Offline Jayclark

• Copper Member
America VS the world
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »
The reason Americans get offensive or atleast me is. People up north and across the pond, tend to act like back seat drivers. You think you know whats best and you could run our country better. You think your way of living is better so you must force it on us(this is a two way street, US has done this and some may argue we'er doing it now). We do everything wrong if it wasn't what you would of done. This is what makes me mad.  We left for a reason. And we went to war for it and won.  In reality some people are so held up in American affairs. That they are blind to see that their own country needs help instead of worrying about a place that they'll probably never visit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 03:31:30 PM by Jayclark »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
America VS the world
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005, 03:06:05 PM »
Jay...with all due respect, suggesting that non-Americans are trying to force ANYTHING on Americans is quite amusing given the current geo-political environment.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: America VS the world
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
ok, so why do Americans all think the world hates America so much?

I suspect that Americans, in general, are far less knowledgeable of foreign affairs than the "foreigners" are of American affairs. Hell, I suspect that there are people in England that are more informed about American affairs than some Americans.

Accept it. We're everywhere and people that don't live here have seen us, heard us and probably even have an opinion about us.
sand

Offline Jayclark

• Copper Member
America VS the world
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 03:36:04 PM »
Curval I agree, I left one part of it out. I edited the post now. But also even though I share your view point. Others see it from a different view point and I understand why they do.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
America VS the world
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 04:10:51 PM »
can i just say AGAIN for the people who think im attacking something....

I hold no hostile view towards america, nor americans.  

I couldnt care less about how you run your caountry, nor even how mine is run.

just wondering why us Brits are happy to take a few wise cracks on the chin yet if we talk about anything American its frowned apon.
 Is it ALL of the US that is so touchy, or is it just a small minority here?

and MacMAW, it would have been in a better state had you not seen it or posted
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:15:24 PM by mechanic »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
America VS the world
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 04:13:33 PM »
Anyhow, my question was answered perfectly earlier, i no longer feel so confused about this topic.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mosca
It's just good old fashioned nationalism, the modern version of tribalism. It's instinct. Don't worry about it.

EVERYONE thinks their team is the best and the others suck. If they didn't, there would be something seriously wrong.

Cultivate personal friendships and laugh at the nationalist jibes. You will be liked and respected for it, and you will like and respect others for doing it for you. Everything else is just a bunch of bs.

Tom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

excelent, the exact answer i was looking for. im impressed

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
America VS the world
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 04:23:38 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Bah...live on a REAL island SoA, not some American colony.  ;)

BRITISH colonies are much much better.

Oh how the smartass in me would like to respond to that.  But I wont, I will restrain myself.

Mostly because I know you are joking.

And because if I said what I really think the problem is, with Britain or Europe in general, I'd really tick off some people I like, and I dont want to do that.