Author Topic: WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
:confused: Can I ask some serious questions of you guys?  Do you honestly feel better after making a personal attack on someone?  Do you honestly enjoy reading articles written in that same style??? (e.g. the aforementioned article and just about everything on Lum's site)  

It's the same few people over and over again that play the little flame war game.  I just wonder what the fascination with it is.  Thanks.   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
One fact that we mustn't forget here is that CRS themselves ensured people that any kind of an open beta was not necessary. All systems were GO and readily tested for.

According to their marketing, every boxed game owner would have a chance to get online.
According to their marketing, customers would not have to go through any beta stage or problem solving in the time of their 'free' playing time. They said one (1) reset would be in order after a weeks campaign.

The whole idea of paying $ for a boxed game is that you're buying a product that has been finished to a guaranteed playable level.
WW2OL fails to meet that aspect with a wide margin.

We cannot compare WW2OL release to games like AH for example. When AH was released, it was an open beta - and you still can try it for free untill you have to purchase it. HTC has never made false promises to the customers, which is a fact that I appreciate highly.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
I'm not flaming WW2Ol, I'm flaming those people that write so-called "reviews"..

If I need to explain it, then you obviously haven't experienced being shafted.

Yes, when I give them 40$ of my money (that's 4 hours of my life I had to work my bellybutton off to get that money), then I do feel those salamanders owe me something more than a buggy, shoddy release of jumbled code that is supposed to represent a "program".

B17II, SDOE (well not so bad, but damn everytime I talked to the lead programmer on Kali inquiring how accurate the FM was... I was lead to believe it would kick ass..... *sigh*), and many more. I can't remember the names, because the CDs I use as target practice for my BB pistol...
I can piece them together and tell you, but the list is way too long.
-SW

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
I'm not flaming WW2Ol, I'm flaming those people that write so-called "reviews"..

If I need to explain it, then you obviously haven't experienced being shafted.

Yes, when I give them 40$ of my money (that's 4 hours of my life I had to work my bellybutton off to get that money), then I do feel those salamanders owe me something more than a buggy, shoddy release of jumbled code that is supposed to represent a "program".

B17II, SDOE (well not so bad, but damn everytime I talked to the lead programmer on Kali inquiring how accurate the FM was... I was lead to believe it would kick ass..... *sigh*), and many more. I can't remember the names, because the CDs I use as target practice for my BB pistol...
I can piece them together and tell you, but the list is way too long.
-SW

you didn't answer the question of did it make you feel better.   :)   Believe me, I understand your frustration and your venting.  To be a little more specific, I wasn't really referring to what you had written, I don't consider it a flame if the person(s) you're targetting aren't actually reading along with us.  You're just venting in that case.  My post was directed to those who flame targets who are reading a thread (or even more relevant, those who had posted something in the thread.)

My second question is about review styles.  To be honest, the something awful review was informative (as are some of Lum's views) but the biting, attacking style turns me off.  Just give me the objective facts, and not subjective, attacking (or butt-kissing in the other direction) opinion in a review.  Of course, they wouldn't attract the audiences they do if they did that.   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
'Surprised by the demand'? 'Taken by surprise'?

Who are they trying to kid?

They hyped this up beyond all imagination - it they who described battles with thousands of people online. How can it be acceptable to limit the number people online to measely 500 considering the pre-order sales alone must have been 10,000+.

There is no defence to this. They knew exactly what would happen.

In some ways, this is not the fault of CRS - I bet their publishing company threatened to pull the plug unless they got some return on their investment. Ordinarily, an open beta would have been initiated before any commercial release.

Hopefully in a couple of months it will have been resolved, however.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty:

My second question is about review styles.  To be honest, the something awful review was informative (as are some of Lum's views) but the biting, attacking style turns me off.  Just give me the objective facts, and not subjective, attacking (or butt-kissing in the other direction) opinion in a review.  Of course, they wouldn't attract the audiences they do if they did that.    ;)

I think you are being a wee too sensitive to what the review I had referred to was saying.  Yes, it could do without a lot of the adult language, but he expresses the point, and feelings of many.  Yea, so its crude, rude and really blunt, but it is also really funny.  As I said, I think the guy hit it on the head pretty well.  Lotsa people are frustrated and they have good reason to be.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
If CRS promised 1,000,000 users at once, and was only able to support 10,000 at once, everyone would still be bashing CRS. In this case they promise 10,000 at once, but can only handle 500 to maybe 1000 users at this point. 500 to 1000?  Heh, thats a large sum in my book... What the bashers of WW2OL don't comprehend is what I apparently didn't make clear.

MrRipley, I have already played online several times, and as long as 1 1/2 hours with *only* 500 other people at the most.  And I had a GRAND old time. Simply some of the most atmoshpheric gaming I've played.  My point is, their system can handle 500 people easily, it's when they start trying to let in more.

Personally, I did not get screwed.  Perhaps those that want 10,000 people playing at once will get screwed even more, but as for myself, I will count it a success when CRS finally admits that their servers can only handle 500 to 1000 at once and opens up 10 online wars. Yes, I will be elated when they finally stop trying to *fix* the servers for 10,000 users at once, and just load up seperate servers.

fscott

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: fscott ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
Please point out what you thought was funny

"Naturally, gamers were tremendously excited to purchase such an action-packed and incredible new game which would ship with absolutely no bugs and be completely playable right out of the box."

You mean to tell me this isn't funny?  You mean to tell me this doesn't hit a raw nerve for more than a few people?  Oh come on.

"I mean, it's not like publishers rush their products out the door so they cut down on development time and pull in more profits."

This one is hilarious too... but just who is he actually poking fun at?  The game developers are the people that feel that "this time its different"?  I have a tendancy to believe its the latter.  People still refuse to grasp the buisness aspect of things.

"That is a silly notion which will land you a one-stop trip to the gulag if you even suggest it!"

This line is simply so true that I still laugh when I see it.  Watch the reply to "let's wait and see it once its released before making judgements on it" in any "WW2OL is so great" thread.

Its really pretty sad that I have to spend the time to sit here and explain satirical humor to you fury.  You really should be able to grasp this.  If not, I tend to believe that you too may have a few raw nerves exposed.

and better yet why you thought it was funny. I didn't see anything funny about what I wrote, and one liners don't mean squat.

The whole site is a joke.  Yet you chose to treat it as valid journalism and reply to the "accusations" as if they were legitimate in any way.  By taking it seriously, you give it legitimacy.

That is very funny, and in turn so are you.

And when I say you are funny, I mean it in a way that would make Joe Pesci want to kill me.

AKDejaVu

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: AKDejaVu ]

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2001, 12:01:00 PM »
I decided that the Rats wouldn't get a dime from me when GRYF stated on their UBB I would *NEVER* have the opportunity to beta test.

I'll be damned if I'll suck up to a pompous windbag like GRYF - no matter how good the game may turn out to be.

P.S.

KMA Gryf!

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: jihad ]

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
Feelings? I have no emotional stake in WW2O or CRS  at all. NO more than I would have in watching the Boston Red Sox win a ballgame or lose one.

I can enjoy what is occuring, which I think on one hand is comical and on another downright pathetic, as what is occuring is self wrought by the Rats and the sycophantic community surrounding them.  

I do not hate WW2O or CRs, not do I love them. I do not think my life will change because of WW2O no do I think I'll be stuck in a conundrum because of it.

But this whole episode is most entertaining and I'll enjoy the raking over the coals as much as the shouts of joy when they finally get this Frankenstein on it's feet...someday.

If any adoring WW2O fan doesn't like what I say <shrug> too bad. Wanna hankey?  ;)

-Westy

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks, I understand now.  I seriously did not realize the site was a joke.

Actually, I found Lum's initial IRC chat to be hilarious.

It's pretty sad when I get raw nerves over a damn game isn't it?  I just want to have choices in my online fun, that's really the only reason I hope they can weather the storm.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
I bought the game.  I am patiently waiting to try it on-line.

People in an uproar over this need to breath deeply and think about it in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not outraged because it isn't quite working right now... nor am I suprised.  I fully expect them to work out the issues.

On the other hand... I'm not going to blindly sit back and defend their decisions.  I do feel some bad ones were made... especially when using the term "Massive Multiplayer" as their main marketing slogan.

Either way, I hope things work out and I can play the game.  I love Rogue Spear and Aces High and can't think of a better in-between game.

Basically, I feel my view on it is pretty normal.  I'm just getting a kick out of the people arguing from either side of the fence right now.

AKDejaVu

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
OMFG i havent laughed that hard since a bunch of us got loaded and went to the movies and saw dumb and dumber

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
On the other hand... I'm not going to blindly sit back and defend their decisions.  I do feel some bad ones were made... especially when using the term "Massive Multiplayer" as their main marketing slogan.
AKDejaVu

Probably the worst was when (I believe it was Killer?) bragged the day before the release about CRS's "Phat Pipes."  

A quote that will live in infamy :-)

The main issue, I guess, is that it's clear the game is not under the control of the CRS guys or it wouldn't have been released in this state without load testing. As we've seen with WB, no good can come of a MMOG controlled by the suits..hence the HTC business model of tiny and maneuverable.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
I wish the Rats the best, but I agree with Torgo that it appears that the Rats were forced to release.

Friday 06/01
"We'll be load testing the server clusters and squaring away the strategy system."

Monday 06/04
"Both our internal and closed Beta tests have been satisfactory and we feel as well prepared as possible for the expected siege on us Wednesday." [Thereby not needing an open beta to load-test the servers].