Author Topic: WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!  (Read 4524 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!
« on: June 08, 2001, 12:00:00 AM »
As mentioned earlier, I bought the game to check it out.  Installed fine, and have been playing offline.  The sounds are great, the graphics are "ok"...kind of on track with games like Delta Force and such.

Downloaded this 67mb patch, which even on broadband, took forever.  Thought I'd read their BBS and its hot-hot-hot.  OnLine servers are down, and suffice to say, this game got shoved out the door!  Perhaps the best way to explain it is to check this site out:
 http://www.somethingawful.com/

Very funny site, but sadly true.  

I'm hanging on to my copy, it seems to have a lot of potential.  Crying shame there isnt a H2H mode for us to host our own games, til they get their servers working!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2001, 02:51:00 AM »
OMG that somethingawful writeup is f_____g hilarious!

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
Just had a look at the SFI boards, and the truth is even funnier than that article!

TARDFEST 2001!

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2001, 03:07:00 AM »
hehe the one who hates the game, will not be missed there trust me  ;)
yesterday i saw 900+ players on the server
and its just the beginning.

Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2001, 06:17:00 AM »
cc Somethingawful is great.

I used to talk to Rich Kyanka "lowtax" a lot, and he is a class-act guy. A real bastard.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
There maybe 10,000 on but I bet they aren't doing much flying. Well, unless there are a bunch of people out there that like dogfighting at 8 FPS.

:)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
That review was probably one of the most accurate and honest reviews of a game that I've seen these days.

Most of those half-baked, ass-kissing, anal intruding fat assed writers for game magazines or game websites wouldn't know quality if it ran up to them, waved it's bellybutton in their face and said "HELLO, I'M QUALITY YOU PIMPLE COATED GREASE MONKEY diddly FACE!!!"

Yes, I absolutely hate reviews and previews written by biased game magazines. I've been steered wrong by a myriad of the incompetent and ignorant bloated pasty amazinhunks and paid good money for less than half-baked games (B17II, SDOE, and many more)...

I could of atleast spent my money on drugs and overdosed, that would of been a whole hell of a lot more fun than trouble shooting a piece of toejam that doesn't work.

I'm glad I didn't believe the hype surrounding WW2CTDOffline.. err WW2"Online"
SERENITY NOW!!!!!
-SW

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
Me suggests many people better take this opportunity to take their pot shots now, before it's too late.  

The fact is, WW2OL does run quite nicely with about 500 max users.  If all else fails, 500 users is *alot* of people for one server, in one war.  I'd venture to guess that they will end up with the ability to host about 1000 users in each war.  What eventually may happen is that they will simply have to host several online wars with 1000 users each.

Although many many folks will be really ticked about not being able to play with 20,000 other people simultaneously, smaller groups actually makes better sense.  1000 people is more than enough to wage war.  Will help other folks with lower end machines and less bandwidth capabilities.

fscott

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
FScott: Just a few _hours_ ago I posted on the sewer BB about my doubts with server / end user capability to handle such large user loads.. I got a very different answer then  :)

I was FLAMED TO HELL AND BACK and everyone agreed CRS servers were able to host 100 000 players at one time (yes, I was told there were going to be 10 servers each capable for 10 000 players.)

Just admit it, you got screwed.
There's one very common saying I saw on the CRS BB before the release: Deal with it.

Heh, it's my turn to say it now. Don't like not being able to play the game you paid $$ for? Deal with it.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
I think the pre-release hype phrase should have been 'Something wicked this way comes' versus "Something wonderful is about to happen"

;)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
Better yet Westy "You are about to get shafted"
-SW

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
From the article:
Naturally they didn't blame the game itself, because the mere idea that they would ship their product before it was 100% ready is completely ridiculous and unbelievable. Cornered Rat attempted to fix these problems by offering a 70-****ing-meg patch on THE SAME DAY OF THE GAME'S RELEASE, a file which I assume is composed solely of "bonus" features such as "code which allows the game to run."
====================

In case anyone cares, the "gold" CD was burned more than a few weeks ago.  Enhancements, fixes, terrain was all added since that time -- hence the huge download.

What would really be nice is to read something a little less biting and sarcastic -- i.e. this site and Lum seem to enjoy concentrating on berating people rather than a reasonable review.

Yes, the Rats are having major problems with the load.  

To insinuate the beta testers did not do their job is just wrong.  To insinuate the Rats did poorly may or may not be right -- the game does indeed work and run with over 500 people online, and maybe they just didn't anticipate the load?

Who knows -- they certainly have some patching up and PR to do to get something stable going in the next few days.

I'm going to weather the storm and save my reactions for after I've had time to think about it and see what Playnet and CRS can do to get things more smooth.  I've played enough online games to know that not every release of *any* product goes 100% per plan.

Not to dig AH, but does anyone remember severe lag while everyone had to download certain releases?  Does every AH, WB, FA release go smooth?  Can AH handle more than 200 people online at a time, with little or no lag?  Can AH handle 20,000 users signing up?  Does anyone threaten lawsuits when HTC has to release patches within one day (or even hours) of a new release?  For God's sake, we are paying $30/month here!

That's not a dig, it's just perspective.  I know the Rat's promised a lot; I was hoping problems would be few; but **** happens.  I fully intend on playing both games for a while.

I don't really care if WWIIOL lives or does not live up to it's hype; I don't feel I need to rip anyone down if they didn't.  I care about being able to play and enjoy a game.

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Fury ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
That's a pretty funny article.. though not nearly as funny as Fury's attempt to defend Cornered Rat after reading it.

AKDejaVu

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
Couple of thoughts blipped into my mind...

1)  Reviews.  I used to write many, mostly for InsideGames.Com   And, I quit.  They insisted on glowing reviews or the advertising from the manufacturers would fade away.  Whose going to want to run an ad on your e-zine if the flight sim reviewer beats up the games?  Well, that's just how they were.  I'd write a very accurate review of a game, like the ones I wrote on Red Baron 2 and Janes F-15.  They didn't mess with the F-15 review as much as they did the Red Baron one (they gave it 5 stars, Id given it 3).  But, those of you that have read my rantings here pretty much know my writing style and humor.  Those reviews, if you read them, read like something off the back of the products boxes.  So (long, beleaugered point), reviews are very much as good as the advertising the publication has in it.  You'll find much more honest reviews on sites like DogFighter.Com than you'll ever see in places like PCGamer.  Game 'zines like that have just lost touch.  In their world, everyone has 256mb of ram, 64mb video cards and drives around in Volvos.

2.  Im sorry, I think that Awful site hit it right on the head.  CRS really fluffied up releasing something that is so not ready.  I can forgive the online play not being ready yet, NovaLogic had the same thing when they first started up...but they were honest enough to say the OnLine stuff wouldnt be ready til a certain date.  It sounds to me that whoever is financing CRS wanted the game out ASAP to make some money.  Deal with the little issues (like, umm, it working online and be able to stand the capacity its beenhyping) would come later.  I dunno, its a damn sloppy mess.  I'm really tired of going to the store and buying BetaWare.  Sure the game has potential, but nothings worse than being teased, which is how the game rubs me right now.

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: LePaul ]

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
Please point out what you thought was funny and better yet why you thought it was funny.  I didn't see anything funny about what I wrote, and one liners don't mean squat.