Author Topic: WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!  (Read 4516 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
WW2OnLine: Wow, its a Love or Hate thing!
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2001, 09:55:00 PM »
Being pretty picky there Jihad. If all you have is a couple of pictures of compressed jpeg's for comparison, you really need to get in the game to see the amazing detail.  I think anyone who is honest will tell you that the detail level of the terrain and terrain objects is really phenomenol.

fscott

Offline Baal

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2001, 09:58:00 PM »
I've spent several hours online and it's a blast. Will be incredible once they iron out all the bugs.

B

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2001, 05:54:00 AM »
"But by and large, if you have a clue, you can find the fight pretty easily by picking an area attack or area defense mission."

Roger that Spitboy. Just like anywhere one can be a lone wolfe trying to do something. Or one can choose to work with a larger group and for an over all purpose. I'm sure after the dust settle that more folks than nought will choose the latter.  
 Especially when the Rats finally have time to play and lead as had been intended.

-Westy

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
If I understood right, lonewolfing does not give any credit atm in WW2OL. You may kill as much as you like, but you won't get any credit for it.

Also, if you want to grab a truck and go looking for some fights - surprise surprise you can't ditch the truck if you're driving it. Only way to go around is by walking or hitching a ride from someone.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by jihad:
Yes... I probably did piss the sweetheart bag off, I tend to have that effect on certain people.   ;)

However when you act as a representative for a company you have to choke down your dislike or personal opinion of customers.

To not do so is simply bad for business - if I owned a company and one of my employees turned customers away because he was "pissed off" I would fire his sorry bellybutton on the spot.

So let me get this right.  You admit to doing 'something' which pissed the guy off and then you complain because you didn't make the beta team???????????

And as for the second part of your quote, somehow I don't recall you being so vocal when HT banned a certain Luftwaffe flier for life.

Geez, ain't HT lucky he owns the company, otherwise you'd be calling for him to be fired too!  :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jekyll:

And as for the second part of your quote, somehow I don't recall you being so vocal when HT banned a certain Luftwaffe flier for life.

Hmmm, first of all he was no "LuftWaffe flyer", he was a gamer. Or a player, whichever context you want to put it in. None of us are allies, axis, nazis, luftwaffe, USAAF, VVS, Italian Airforce, etc pilots or fliers.. we are gamers or players plain and simple.

And this certain player had it coming to him when he took it upon himself to berate HT and his work consistently.
-SW

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
And another point: Hitech owns the company - he can do pretty much what he likes with it.

He can close the servers if he has a toejamty day and nobody can stop him.

But if an employee starts to act like he owns the company, it's time to do something about it.

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2001, 09:50:00 AM »
I just read something pretty cool about WW2OL..

I already suspected this when I saw the first reports of people playing with tanks. 'He got over excited and flipped his tank.'

... Flipped his tank?

It's all explained in this post of a WW2OL player: http://sfi2.com/forum/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003946.html

Looks like the physics engine is a total joke. Tanks fall from wind, rocks or traffic signs.. Ground vehicles fly in the air..
And they call that beta.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
Very easy to roll your tank.  Drive over a cliff, and your tank will roll to the bottom. Go too fast over a ditch and your tank may end up flipping. I've got some photos from WW2 of tanks on their tops after taking a wrong turn. I can make copies and send em to ya if you want.

Flying vehicle do happen, and the reason is when either someone enters the game, and their harddrive is still loading terrain, or whatever. Their vehicle will "float".  If someone is pulling your anti-tank gun, and their harddrive starts loading lots of data to the point where their own screen freezes until the terrain or other data loads, then their tank will start to "float" up into the air.  They come back as soon as their harddrive stops churning.  The bad part is, some folks computers are very slow for this game, and their harddrives will literally run for 20-30 seconds, meanwhile their tank will start to float up into the sky.

It's defiantely a problem especially for slower rigs.  Granted I don't see it really too much. I have yet to see it happen anywhere other than spawn points.

fscott

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, allow me to correct a wrong assumption. MrRipley, you ever drive a tracked vehicle? I have. It's quite possible to flip them, and was a constant concern (especially in an M113 with the high COG). Put anything on a steep enough incline and it will flip. The COG was pretty high on those 1940 tanks - especially the Char.

You have to get on a steep angle to flip one. Overall, it's really not bad. I think it could use a little more tweaking to make it a bit harder to flip, but it's certainly not gonna flip from a traffic sign or wind. I will say, the collider model is not final, and traffic signs/trees are made of titanium, which is a big buzz-killer. But, I can live with it for now. Just don't hit road signs or trees.

You might want to try the game yourself. There's a lot of people out there giving pretty bogus reviews - the kind of people who expected this to be Quake with WW2 vehicles. Not a slam - just a point of fact. When they find out it's a simulation like AH that has a pretty steep larning curve and requires patience and practice, they balk.

As far as flying tanks - other players see you drift up if your connect goes tango uniform. Simple as that. Annoying, yes, but floating people are rare and they are no threat. Just means they're about to disco. In fact, I like it better - I don't waste ammo on someone about to disco. Hardly something to scream over in my view, given the MUCH more important issues that need fixing like frame rate and getting more servers online.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Spitboy ]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't want to slit its throat but I also don't want to mislead people, which honestly, your posts do.

Jihad is correct about the graphics engine. Its a pig. Theres nothing new in it. I suggest you go down to your local store and dig up a copy of M1 Tank Platoon II or Gunship!. The engine is practically the same.

I tried to get on _a lot_ yesterday, the servers were up and down, there was spawning problems galore, and a lot of pissed people. I saw people warping all over (flying tanks). I had several CTDs.

This game is nothing like what you describe. Seamless terrain my arse! Its got tears galore. Get in an aircraft and fly for a bit - you see chunks disappear.

Do you really think after a 67Mb download, after these server issues, and finally after the FPS problems once people get in that 100% will say "I don't mind paying for an alpha?".

Originally posted by fscott:
Aw Vulcan now, don't be painting such a grim picture of WW2OL's last days.  Your making it sound like everyone and their brother has returned their copy.  

I've spent the last day and a half playing WW2OL *online*.  Just last night I played 4 sold hours on the same server without a hiccup.  Lag issues are almost not even an issue with me.  I was a tank driver, my friend down the street was the gunner, and several times I was hauling 4 soldiers around.  Not a hiccup, not even a warp. But hey perhaps that's just my cable modem and my rig can handle it.

Too many people wanna hurry and slit WW2OL's throat. Well if last night was any indication of what's to come, it'll be around for a long long time.

fscott

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
As to terrain...  I'll comment when my FPS isn't making me squeak-n-moan anymore.  Sure there are trees and buildings you can fly over and near.  but when they pass by at 5-15 FPS, it's not spectacular.  -IF- the performance of the game comes up, the terrain will be pretty nice.  Seriously though, it's apples and oranges with AH terrain.  They serve different simulations, so have different needs, IMO.

Anyways, to the FPS issue...

The minimum requirements for WWII Online: Blitzkrieg are:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000: Pentium II 400; 128MB RAM; 16MB 3D video card; DirectSound-compatible audio card; 8X CD-ROM, 56K modem with Internet access.
Macintosh OS 9.0 or higher: G4/400; 256MB RAM; 16MB 3D video card, 8X CD-ROM; 56K modem with Internet access.

The recommended requirements for WWII Online: Blitzkrieg are:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000: Pentium III 600; 256MB RAM; 32MB 3D video card; DirectSound-compatible audio card; 40X CD-ROM; 56K modem with Internet access.

I'm above every recommended requirement and still get a max FPS of 13 in the air.  I'll tinker with the settings, but they don't work right anyways!    :mad:

(edit)  found a problem...  the settings program doesn't actually edit the settings file unless you run it from the actual game directory.  switched to lowest res, and got 35fps in flight with another Spit around me.  Gonna mess around with more settings, to see if I can go up to 1024x768 and still maintain 30-40fps in flight

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Nifty ]
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Toad : My pc is

933 P3 , 384 RAM , Nvidia 256 pro 32 mb , also have 7200 rpm harddrive . Load times for me is 2.08 sec.

I have the v memory set to 766 .

The pics look better in the game , jpg converted from bmp's from f9 key don't look that good . But I have the game turned down to almost the lowest settings . Game play is fun , I like new games and this is for sure NEW  :)

But at night the grafics in the clouds look really bad . The planes hold e in flat turns really "well" also , hehe .

Still it's fun when it ain't a crashing to the desktop . I know one think , you don't have to have radar , sector bars , ammo counters , and kill messages to have fun .

Take care Toad , love your posts .

spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Guys with settings problems.   I found out that if you go to the (start menu, programs, wwiiol, settings.exe), that program will NOT edit the correct settings.cfg file (at least not on my machine, maybe because I installed WWIIOL to something other than the default folder.  In my case, it created a file in the root C:\ folder and edited it, which did nothing for the game.  Run the program directly from your game folder or edit the settings.cfg file in your game folder manually for correct results.  I lowered my res down to 800x600x16 and crawled back in game and was up to 35FPS in the air with a fellow Spit flying around.  big improvement over the 13fps I was getting!   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.