Author Topic: Just In Case Your Thinkin' About Buyin WWII Online  (Read 5000 times)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Just In Case Your Thinkin' About Buyin WWII Online
« on: June 11, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
It is basically the biggest piece of toejam I have ever had the misfortune to log into. Barely works offline and on, it's just horrible....fps at .02, thats right a frame every 5 seconds, and less if theres other objects around, can take minutes to jump from driver to gunner slot...thats right, MINUTES, and then more time to magnify. Constant screen freezes and lag like you've never seen. Those people should be put in jail for fraud. The guy at EBX told me when I bought it that there was no refunds. Apparently their retail partners, ebx and the electronics boutique knew it was garbage before release. I'm probably gonna file a complaint with my credit card company to get my money back. Man, those guys didnt even make a good attempt. All that toejam about 1000 guys online at once. They got 6 servers up and they cant handle 100 each much less 1000. Christ what a ripoff.
CRASH

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2001, 08:08:00 PM »
Well, i bought it and i must say that aside of FPS - ( which as far as i can tell is sloppy programming ) game has lot of potential.

Flying part is screwed - FPS is the worst, FM is lacking.
Tanking and soldier part on the other hand, simply amazing. Terrain has so much detail that is puts you in the mindset as if you were really there. ( it has road signs, railings on the bridges with 17th century art on them !!!, cliffs, destroyable buildings, terrain is simply amazing )

If you believe in supporting a development of something that has promise, and don't mind blowing 40$ for half finished product - buy it. It's fun.

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2001, 09:17:00 PM »
If only "potential" was fun.   I could retire if I had a dime for every game that came along with great potential.  WWIIOL may certainly become a great game some day....and it may get my money at THAT time, and not a moment sooner.   :rolleyes:

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2001, 09:41:00 PM »
Someone who puts money towords a game with potiential is called an INVESTOR.  I purhcased the game as a CUSTOMER.  I have and had no desire in investing in this game. As I blieve that I wouldn't see a dime back in dividends.  And please, don't say that 'fun' is the dividend, or I might yak.  They (Playnet/Stategy First/CRS) are a bunch of liars.  (If you want me to print up some of their lies here I will, they're all from the box.)  

What I don't understand is all the appologists and cheerleaders defending these lying dolts.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2001, 09:44:00 PM »
as i see it the only major problem is the abysmal fps. if/when they are able to double the fps, this game will be truly revolutionary. right now the fps are just too low.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2001, 10:01:00 PM »
Thrawn, 2late4U and Fd-ski, right on!
That's all that needs to be said.
You're not gonna win a fraud case on this.
BTW: those servers can handle 1000, not 100.

Offline Rud3dawg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2001, 10:03:00 PM »
:D daaahahahaha that is to say.

i bought WWII online the day it came out and had to go buy more ram just to get the damn thing running (takes a minnimum of 128megs of ram)  NP so i go get more ram and check it out.   :rolleyes: lol it still takes 4 min to get past the first loading screen to get into the game. i got a 650 mhz celeron and the loading time alone sucks

i get in there to find that frame rate isn't that bad in a 109 but still can't load a soldier if i am too close to the front line.  :mad:

not to get me wrong i am as pacient as the next guy but my 7 day trial purchase at the software store was running out and i wasn't paying 49.99 for that crap.

So i took my copy back and got a refund as well as saving some poor sap from having to go through the labor of packing it back up in a box and taking his copy back too.  I just told him about AH and said that AH will have WWII online's promises fullfiled before WWII online will  :eek:

I will continue to check out there progress seeing as how i still have the 30 day trial account open and it doesn't take the cd to run the program once you install the software the cd is useless except as a 39.99 dollar frisby  ;)

Rudedawg

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2001, 12:38:00 AM »
CRASH,

The FPS I'm getting is just like yours (absolutely ridiculous), but yet, I agree with fdski. I have 1,5 P3 + GeForce 2, but only 128Mb RAM. I'm going to upgrade to 512 tomorrow and give it another spin. Hopefully it'll solve my problem.

There is something about this game, I think it's the immersion. As I mentioned before my current FPS is completely unplayable, and yet, I found myself playing for almost half an hour some of it as a passive observer.

To be honest, I'm not really price sensitive, but I can understand that for many of us $40 for the game + RAM upgrade represents a significant expense. It's a shame that we'll probably lose a lot of players because of that.

I think that there are two fundamental problem the Rat guys have to address.

1. lowering the min. system req.
2. make the performance less sensitive to the client machine.

Currently the guy with a power box, has a tremendous advantage over the little guy. If and upgrade to 512 MB solves my problem and gives me, say, 15-20 FPS, the guys with P2 600 + 256 MB hasn't got a prayer.

Offline Maxopti1

• Zinc Member
      • http://space.tin.it/io/msantona
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
Why do I have the strange impression that anybody tells of the lies?  :rolleyes:

I don't marvel that any has 5 fps, if they pretend to play with a 486 and 8 Mb RAM.

But we say the belongingses like they really are. :cool:

1) For connect to the server need about 2 minutes of delay.

2)Once selected the type of unity that wants to be used, needs around 1 minute for enter the game.

With a configuration

P III- 800
RAM 384Mb.
HD 30 Gb.
G-Force 2 MX
SB Live 128
Dx 8a

We have obtained OFF-Line 50 FPS  :p

On-Line the frame rate comes down to 20/30 FPS according to the situation. :D

In 4 hours of play, never a disco, nonexistent lag and fluid play.  :eek:  :)

Cheers!

Maxo

P.S. the lies run very fast, but they have short legs

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2001, 04:35:00 AM »
Well, I beta tested it for a *very* short time. The ground war is simply awesome and I'm sure Maxopti will love it   ;). The FM needs a tweak for sure, beta testers and developers know and admit it.

You need *more* than 256MByte of RAM to run well that thing. My config is almost the same of Maxopti's and I can play (fps between 15 and 25 online at 1280x1024 and 32bit color). No connx probs from Italy with ISDN.

What can I say ... if you play WW2OL's ground war you'll understand what AH is missing and ... vice-versa about the FM   :) I really hope that AH in the future will have a complete plane set and above all an RPS/HA.

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: gatt ]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2001, 04:37:00 AM »
Want to play immersive FPS game? And it has to have well modeled tank game in it too?

Then go buy the Flashpoint 1985 which is on the stores in 20 June. You can go download the demo at  www.flashpoint1985.com . Thats the most immersive and strategic FPS that ive ever seen. The demo will make you beg more.
Its like Hidden&Dangerous, but with cold war weaponry (no railguns and watermelon like that) and much much more realistic soldier simulation. You will die very soon if you try solo on the field. You can also drive tanks and APC:s, which both require skills, since you have to give commands to driver when youre gunner.

So try that out while the wwiionline is on Alpha stage. I personally will buy wwiionline  on end of this year, when the system requirements have dropped to sensible levels.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2001, 05:56:00 AM »
Maxopti i'm not a liar and i tell you that with my system:

P3 700
256 MB RAM
Voodooł 3000AGP
800MB Swap Drive

i get no more than 8 FPS anywhere near the action .. then it's giving me screenfreezes up to 45 seconds and sometimes the FPS go down to 0.3 -> that's 1 Frame every 3 seconds.

i'm going to try and do all the optimization steps from the FAQ and see if that helps.

But don't call anyone a liar becauser he says that he's getting low FPS. This IS a huge issue with a majority of the players as far as i've seen on the bords.

DW6

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
Well I can safely say they won't see any of my money any time soon.

Amd 800, 128 mb ram and I'm still seeing 3 min load times, spawn times are a bit better but still over 2 minutes. Plus it takes another 3 minutes if you die, to get back to map room.

Example, log in at 8:00, 8:03 get to the country map, select. 8:04 I'm looking at where to spawn. There is NO idicator of where the enemy might be. 8:05 I spawn at anhee armybase. 8:07:30 I'm in the game, there is an enemy panzer camped at the spawn point, I die before I can get my turret on him.
8:10 I'm back rdy to pick a new spawn point.

Same example for Aces High,
Log in 8:00, 8:01 I'm in, looking at map which shows me where activity is, & where we are attacking. 8:01:30  I'm rolling vehicle hanger at v2. 8:02 enemy tank is camped at spawn point & kills me. 8:03 I'm rolling A1 in a C-hawg. 8:07 I've killed panzer with 1k bomb, and currently engaged with an enemy tiffy.

See the difference?
The interface itself needs to provide more information and be smoother. The ingame map is a joke, you can't zoom in or out, it shows a bare outline of roads & rivers. There is no where that I've seen that gives any indication of roughly how many enemy or friendly are in a given area.

Does it have potential, yes of course it does. Is it worth 40$ plus a monthly fee? Maybe in a year or so!

Offline DocFalconer1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Unless the framerate in WWIIOL is improved, the game lacks ANY potential whatsoever.  In the beta stages of AH, there weren't that many planes, as in WWIIOL, but at least there was an acceptable framerate...

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Heya Duck, IMHO the bottleneck is the Voodoo. Anyway, actually the fps is one of the firt problems they have to solve, togheter with the loading time. This should belongs to the OT forum as well ...  ;)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown