Author Topic: Terrain editor questions....  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Terrain editor questions....
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 08:20:25 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Ok, I AM ADDING a completely new terrain type, as well. The tiles ARE appearing in the objects list, but it's not listing under the "terrains" tab.
If I understand you correctly (please clarify - the shape name and a description would help) you are trying to add a NEW terrain tile TYPE such as Grass, Water, Forest etc.  You can't do that.  You may replace an existing "terrain" tile such as Forest with your version of Forest.  The terrain tiles have predefined file names and there can be only one for each of the limited number of types. (Yeah, I know I over simplified it.)

Again, over simplifing, for other objects, in the OE, you can assemble a group of buildings, roads, trees etc. and then Save (.til) and Build (.shp) this new group of predefined objects.   The .shp file goes into your texsrc folder.

If you built a new object with ac3d, you still must run it through the OE but it sounds like you know that.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »
Nutts I wish I could help.  When I switched from a Thrustmaster to an X45 my move buttons switched positions and not where I'd like them to be either.  Never have figured out how to change them to something more useful.  Maybe it's time to post in the Hardware forum.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »
Ok, that's irritating. The only limitation the helpfile says is in the SUB-type (it has to be 00xx, 01xx, 02xx or 03xx) but it didn't say anything about it having to be one of the seven already present terrains. :p

Eh well, I'll just replace something.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »
Yeah I know.  If I understand correctly, you can do a lot with the subtiles but since I'm color blind, and therefore hopless for terrain tiles, I haven't investagated that aspect.

GL
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »
Ah, the fun of trying to add something on a game it wasn't technically meant to have (THIS is something I'm quite familiar with). :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 01:28:20 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »
Ok, this is fubar...

I have my edited terrain tile, and switched it with one of the existing ones. I then created a set of the plb files (for where the terrain overlaps another tile of a different type) and that worked.

HOWEVER, I decided I didn't like the look of the overlap, so decided to change it.

The problem is now I can't get rid of it!!!

I've deleted the overlap texture entirely, (it DOES revert to the original texture that came with AH, until I try to put my NEW plb files in, then it reverts back to my old ones!) but no matter what I try to do to change it (modify what I made, make an entirely NEW one) I'm still getting the EXACT SAME blending between my new terrain and other tiles! I've tried completely deleting ALL the terrain variants from the texsrc folder, and copying the whole thing back in and it STILL doesn't work.

And I know it's the same one because the new overlap texture is COMPLETELY different.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
Delete the files for your terrain in the TE cache folder.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »
Another questions about the terrain tiles.

I've got my new tile design, replacing one of the existing ones. The problem is I'm getting ground clutter wholly inappropriate for the tile. Is there a way to change this clutter? Either by removing it outright, or changing it to use something else (actually, with what I'm doing the latter may be the best option)? Also, if the clutter CAN be changed, is it going to be for the WHOLE tile, or can you specify clutter for each of the four "subtile" types?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »
so.. you have so far been talking about the texture files, right? :)

You can replace the existing "clutter" = terrain object tiles with new ones made in the Object Editor. Are you familiar with OE?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 02:04:34 AM »
I've mostly just done simple stuff (adding a couple simple retextures as new .shp's, gonna play with something a bit more complex once I get my basic terrain tile issues squared away). So basically, I can create a new .shp in OE, and set that as the clutter object in the TE.

Which brings up question 2: Is it possible to have more than one clutter type for a given tile texture? Say, if I set as subtype 0 it uses one clutter object, subtype 1 uses a different object, etc, etc?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 06:41:57 AM »
Answer 2:
Yes, the textures and the terrain objects are automatically related if they are named correctly. Subtype 0-3 affects both the texture and the objects. The biggest difference is that the texture for the subtype comes from one file, whereas the objects come from one quadrant of the object tile.

Check for an example pic in the "terrain vocabulary..." thread.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »
Ok, since I don't mess with the object editor you have me totally confused now.

Are you saying that if you use the subtile(terrain texture) in quadrant 3 (in the TE) in all 4 quadrants, the clutter type from the quadrant you have labeled B (in the OE) in your diagram will be used in all 4 quadrants in the TE/Game?

Now there's a tongue twister. :)

STOP making me think this early in the morning! :furious
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 07:13:09 AM »
LOL NHawk :),
but no.
The location of the quadrant is also considered. That particular object tile shows how the subtype 3 would look in each separate quadrant. It would have different looking "clutter" in each quadrant even though the texture subtype remains the same.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 07:16:12 AM »
Gotcha :aok

One day I'll actually play with the OE since I have AC3D. Just no time to mess with it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »
So in other words, I'd make one clutter object for each terrain texture subtype.

What's the naming convention? Say, I have a texture tile named terr0105, do I name the clutter object terr0105?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:42:18 AM by Saxman »