Author Topic: Terrain editor questions....  (Read 2535 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Terrain editor questions....
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 10:19:07 AM »
Yes :) Same names, different file types... bmp / shp

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »
Ok. I've got my clutter shape(s). I've named them to match the subtypes (ter0x0y). I've cleared the map's cache. But it's STILL giving the default clutter. Grrr...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006, 03:05:16 AM »
x and y are real numbers between 0 and 3 right?

Did you make the new ter####.shp from htc default objects or did you use your  own custom objects?
Does your object tile cover the whole mile grid in OE?
Are the object properties set properly? (1st and 3rd check boxes)
Do you see the white section lines at the bottom in OE?

If you want to, you can send your .til file and possible custom .shp:s to me and I can check them.  email [username]@hitechcreations.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2006, 03:34:30 AM »
I'm using some of the default shapes provided that are idea for my purposes. Now that you're mentioning the check boxes in the properties I THINK I know what I forgot to do. I'll play with it more in the morning.

I HAVE run into another irritating problem...

I've created (well, modified from a stock model) a new object for my map. It displays perfectly fine in AC3D. HOWEVER, when I bring it into the OE, the "preview" in the corner is missing a VERY visible (and quite important) part of the model. When I add it to the work area, however, it's fine. But again, when I actually add the object to the map itself, it's back to missing those poly's.

I've had this happen once before, and I fixed it by rebuilding the entire model. The thing is, all I did was remake them the same way I did originally and the second time it worked. I HAVE tried flipping the normals, tho not vertex order as of yet (too late, and tired of messing with it). I'm not too familiar with AC3D (used to Rhino) and I THINK it's because I'm really looking at back faces, but I can't find an option to turn view back faces off. Anyone got a clue what's up with this?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 05:13:57 AM »
It sounds like your surface/object/group centers are not always the same. If you are editing surfaces in ac3d, try moving only the vertexes. That does not change the centers.

Also if you are copying objects or surfaces in ac3d, you will mess up teh hierarchy tree and have to regroup things to rebuild it and fix the various tags and properties as well.

If there are problems with surface visibility, try setting eveything 2-sided at first and check if they are visible. in OE and TE. 1-sided / 2-sided can be set in the lower left corner of teh ac3d window.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »
Also, what does it take to get the editor to recognize that an object is a Tower? Obviously it's not just setting the "Tower" property because that still gives the "Field does not have tower" error.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2006, 12:29:01 PM »
The tower also needs to have all that interior stuff. I have not tried making a tower, but the easiest thing would be to study the existing towers. Just export them from OE and open in Ac3d.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »
So what, the radio, clock, chalkboard desk and OC all have to be part of the tower? Damn, 'cause it doesn't fit with what I'm doing. Unless it has to BE there, but doesn't matter if it's not VISIBLE....

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »
There's no tower on a CV but there's a good reason for that so of course there's no clock etc.  I'd hate to have towers with no clock or chalk board for the MA or SEA.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
Well, if you saw what I'm doing you'd agree there's a good reason not to have it.

The question is, what IS required to make it recognized as a tower? AND how do you set the viewing perspective.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »
Maybe you could try it by editing the existing tower and deleting things from it one after another.... I dont have an answer for that :(

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 02:02:41 AM »
Ok, more issues with this new tower...

I've got the model itself built (how I WANT it, and dammed if I gotta change it :p ). As part of it I'm using the alpha channel to have a texture that can be partly seen through. It SORT of works.

The problem is, some parts of the model I AM getting the desired effect (this is on a staircase hand rail), but I can NOT see anything BEHIND the texture except for a place where I have ANOTHER alpha'ed texture (so, say I have a staircase with a poly on each side that serves as a hand rail. If I turn it so that I'm looking straight down I can see the steps. BUT, if I turn it so I'd be looking through the side of the texture all I can see is the other "hand rail" poly behind it. NOT the steps or any other part of the structure it overlaps). Thing is, as I said, there's one place where I CAN see "through" this texture as intended.

Anyone know whuzup with that?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 02:58:01 AM »
Have you set the StencilAlpha=1 tag to that object in ac3d?

Another thing that come to my mind is the order of the objects in the hierarchy three. They are rendered from top to bottom.. or was it from bottom to top  :)  ...but that order may also be the reason to what you see.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:00:07 AM by BlauK »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 03:04:09 AM »
How do you set that?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 03:15:27 AM »
Open the "object hierarchy window" in ac3d by pressing F8-key.
Then right-click the object and select "edit object data".
Add the "StencilAlpha=1" line to the object data window.

Tags like "MaxDist=####", "MinDist="####", "Dead=1" , etc are set the same way. All the groups (except the world group) also require the MaxDist tag.