Author Topic: Tank Towns and Fighter Towns  (Read 3339 times)

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Tank Towns and Fighter Towns
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Honestly i bomb the hangers in FT because i love too hear "real furballer's "
cry about it.Like waffle said,it's in the map it is real estate to be taken!

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
Nice bait, but if you are as bad in bombers as you are in fighters we have nothing to fear:rofl
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline HardRock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 08:47:12 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Nope. But, I have heard him say that he doesn't want uncapturable fields.

Well if we're immovable about uncapturable bases (which IS the item that funnels the play) and insulated communities then there's few ideas left that would do little if anything.

What's wrong with 40,000 mts:)

The insulated community is somewhat puzzling because if the fighters chose to stay in FT regardless of being attacked from a few on the outside how is that not insulated?

There will only be a few that will spoil it and their reputation or lack of will cement them. ..but most won't. So the idea of uncapturable bases doesn't seem like it'd effect community insulation. And even if so..insulation from what?  

Even different arenas like we had in AW weren't bad in of themselves. The  thing that split the community with predjudice was there was RR and FR.
And we all know where the dweebs flew..don't we ;-)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
Originally posted by HardRock

Even different arenas like we had in AW weren't bad in of themselves.  

Come on HR....weren't you still around when AW did a GV arena? Was just a waste of server space. As for the community, if you think seperate groups sitting in the gym and not have contact is community.......well, you be a HardHead instead of a HardRock. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 11:52:42 PM »
NB...It does seem that AH has evolved into something altogether different. Maybe it’s the shear numbers of subscribers that make it more noticeable than it was before. Hopefully HT uses threads sometimes to form opinion as to what we would like to see. I think the reasons brought about in this thread as well as others from the past are adding up to an eventual change. errr I hope so. :)
The BBS proves that no matter how hard HT has tried to stop division of players it hasn’t nor will it work. It simply can't. And no. I don’t see how said changes would make it any different than it is now. Cept of course stop 2 distinct griefings from being possible.

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
but if you are as bad in bombers as you are in fighters we have nothing to fear

You are so smart judging people by thier score.......

When you have been around long enough you might finally see

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »
who is this autopilot?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 10:03:59 AM »
Not sure, another shades maybe? Who knows, who cares.

I do know something seriously wrong with something when Mugz and I start agreeing... Joking around in a thread!:eek:
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline HardRock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
Come on HR....weren't you still around when AW did a GV arena? Was just a waste of server space. As for the community, if you think seperate groups sitting in the gym and not have contact is community.......well, you be a HardHead instead of a HardRock. :D

I was around in AW 1992 till the last night. GV? never heard of it..at least in that abbreviation. I heard of the one life arena. That failed because no one wants to die and be gone for the night.

Your semblance to a Gym community is cute but I fail to see the reasoning.
No doubt my hard head eh:)

As the poster above said I don't see how you can force non division. Maybe arena wise but not philosophy wise.

This is really quite simple.
There are basically 3 types of players you want to cater to.
1.Base capture and all that goes with it.
2.Furballers
3.Historical

The "I want to live" player can survive in any of the top 3.

So what is the problem here?

Players won't ever decide by honor alone. Only the arena design can funnel the play.

Not allowing a "space" for furballers is just not rational.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
I was around in AW 1992 till the last night. GV? never heard of it..at least in that abbreviation. I heard of the one life arena. That failed because no one wants to die and be gone for the night.

GV= ground vehicle. Yes, there was a tank town arena in AW. There was also the Ultra Realism arena. Both flopped, as did the 1 life to live arena.
Your semblance to a Gym community is cute but I fail to see the reasoning.
No doubt my hard head eh:)

Havin' a senior moment there Pete? :D While you can't force divergent factions into 1 community...you don't have to enable them.

This is really quite simple.
There are basically 3 types of players you want to cater to.
1.Base capture and all that goes with it.
2.Furballers
3.Historical

Well, part of the problem seems to be the misconception that the MA is supposed to be for 1 or the other. It isn't. It's a free for all arena. Here, it's called the Main Arena. In AW the name was Melee Arena. The AW name more accurately describes how the MA is intended to be used. Of course, the real problem is all of the specialized groups that want to insist that the MA cater to their desires. The reality is that there currently are arenas for each group you mention and yet, people continue to insist that the MA be changed to suit their desires.

Heck, you have no idea how hard it was to talk Dale into letting me try TT. In the end, I was able to meet all of his requirements and it worked. Now we have an FT in one terrain. It's really up to the players as to how it gets used.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »
NB...are you speaking for HT when you say "It is up to us how to use the MA"?(Not a direct quote) i.e. That is not going to be changed, ever?
I mean do you already think or know that some of what is being proposed here will never be a consideration or a reality?
In short. Is it your opinion that any such suggestions are a total waste of time?
You seem to be pretty certain.
I know that HT is very slow to make a decision and for very good reason/ I do hope he will chime in on this discussion eventually. I mean things have changed a lot in the 5 years i have been in AH.

Offline HardRock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2006, 01:41:05 PM »
GV= ground vehicle. Yes, there was a tank town arena in AW. There was also the Ultra Realism arena. Both flopped, as did the 1 life to live arena.

Havin' a senior moment there Pete? :D While you can't force divergent factions into 1 community...you don't have to enable them.

Well, part of the problem seems to be the misconception that the MA is supposed to be for 1 or the other. It isn't. It's a free for all arena. Here, it's called the Main Arena. In AW the name was Melee Arena. The AW name more accurately describes how the MA is intended to be used. Of course, the real problem is all of the specialized groups that want to insist that the MA cater to their desires. The reality is that there currently are arenas for each group you mention and yet, people continue to insist that the MA be changed to suit their desires.

Heck, you have no idea how hard it was to talk Dale into letting me try TT. In the end, I was able to meet all of his requirements and it worked. Now we have an FT in one terrain. It's really up to the players as to how it gets used.

I may leave pots burning on the stove these days but I assure you I still have sound reasoning. And just be careful..you ain't no spring chicken yourself:)

Ok to cases.
The forementioned arenas in AW failed because no one wanted that type of play. This has nothing to do with this discussion.

The fightertown in AW was just a small appeasment. 3 Bases. A circle jerk.There's more to furballing (or fighting) as you know than a circle jerk.
Same with the FT in AH. Make no mistake..this is not directed at you and I totally appreciate your efforts to get this much (thanks:). But since you've been connected with this game longer and understand the whole concept is why I address it to you.

So lets get down to common sense. That it where I always come from and like I said..it's not senile :)

There seems to be some reason,if not paranoid, for some division. Yes I agree you don't have to enable it if that's what you really think will happen.

In AW there was division, if you want to call it that, because of the non realism and realism. RRvFR. Yes we bashed the RR players to an extent including larks into their arena. But at the con was there any such thing? No we were all air warriors.

IN AH its all full realism. So what division are we talking about? I don't understand.  I have no problem with base capture players. It's what they like and they are entitled to it. Not to mention more revenue. Why is the reverse not true? I've seen enough posts here in my short time that there is another segment that likes just fighting.

You say its up to the players how its used. That's just not true and never will be. Witness the guy that must bomb FT because HE CAN. The spin code was porked in AW..did people use it? Yes because you could.
Only the game design, in this case the arena, can funnel the play.
I don't like HOs except maybe in a historical scenario. But people do it because they can. If they weren't enabled you couldn't.

So the MA IS funneled to ONE type of play!!!!!!! That's the whole point here..when you say it's not SUPPOSED to.

So if you can..please explain the *feared* division perceived by having another arena (or larger part of MA) where there is no or at least limited base capture. In common sense terms please:)

I just don't understand the concept of not appeasing what is obviously a large group of people. I don't fly much because of the pork but have kept the account out of support so in the end they still get the same money from me but I know others would sign up if this was addressed. Again Carlton..thanks for your efforts..make no mistake about that:)

Now can you just add 6 more bases to those 3 to give it a little more depth:) Then come fly there so I can hunt you;-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:46:53 PM by HardRock »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
And if the toolshed drones like it or not, they can very easily wreck the fun/fight for those fighting... While the ones fighting and only wanting to fight, could care less about getting in their way of winning the war.

I was told several times by the toolshedding armchair generals that when they kill a fight, they free up the furballing resources to fight where they are needed instead in some obscure corner of the map.

Not sure what we can do about it, without every furballer everywhere killing ord at the bases... then again, that would make us as bad as they are.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2006, 02:01:52 PM »
While I agree that division will always exist, either forcing a group into a different arena, or enabling one group to harass the others by gameplay design ( and with no other positive effect on gameplay that I personally can see ) are bad solutions.

If some folks wish to do nothing by fly around in Zekes and set each other on fire for hours on end, great. I'm not simply interested in furballing, but I do enjoy scenarios like base defense against CV based raids, since the flights tend to be short, and the fights hectic. Good clean fast-paced fun. Just the thing for when I'm having a rotten day and need to blow off some steam.

If the guys in TT wish to spend hours blowing each other's turrets off without affecting the rest of the arena, fantastic. I'll admit that I do this on occasion, especially on the Isles map with it's center island, and that um other map, which used to have the GV/early war-only island in the center.
I'll even admit to upping heavy formations and hunting campers, and taking heavily armed interceptors in to hunt other dweebs in bombers hunting campers, and of course upping a fighter to hunt the interceptors hunting the bombers hunting the campers hunting the masses of GVs pouring into the center town. (This sort of broad-spectrum idiocy makes me an expert, I think, and I do have a point).

While I do these things, I absolutely avoid destroying the hangars on these islands. I see no rationale behind that except denying all the other guys their idea of fun, which would seem to be the same things I do. To try to label it as winning the war, or say it's real estate that's supposed to be taken, is just absolute crap. Many nights when I've seen these maps reset, those center island bases are often still in their original owners' hands, and obviously haven't done much to alter the outcome of the war.

Doing the same thing in the so called FighterTown is precisely the same sort of active plan to prevent others from enjoying the game. Those responsible know how difficult it is to retake one of those bases, and that an attempt to do so will likely fail, or require an hour of dedicated activity by a large number of people, and the defense against an attack from outside the center can easily be accomplished by a comparatively small number of players.

Whether the logic behind these stunts is to try to force those not active in "teh war efurt" into helping, or simply to piss people off, it's not adding anything to the game. The actions and goals of such persons is rather obvious. They're called griefers in other games, and miserable bastards in the real world. Such people add nothing to the game, and should immediately be banned.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2006, 02:30:34 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
I was told several times by the toolshedding armchair generals that when they kill a fight, they free up the furballing resources to fight where they are needed instead in some obscure corner of the map.

Not sure what we can do about it, without every furballer everywhere killing ord at the bases... then again, that would make us as bad as they are.

Some believe aircover will come if they can kill the furball. I think what they fail to see is that a bunch of friendly fighters in a furball is usually tieing up a like number of enemy fighters that would otherwise be over their base.

And there is the 13 year olds that will because they can. One was going to tank town in bombers mainly because there were few fighters there. Gets to land his KILLZ!

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs