Author Topic: How can we keep the small arenas fun?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
How can we keep the small arenas fun?
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2006, 04:52:52 AM »
<<<>>>

Ren good posts

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2006, 06:57:27 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
the fuballers whine we capture there bases and "ruin" the fight. but if they was having there furball in a constructive manor they wouldnt loose the base, yet still have a furball.

I personally have never seen a base capture from a field or fields that are feeding a furball.

What I have seen is strat players come over country channel and piss and moan that the furball between fields X and Y are nothing but a waste of resources ... and within a 1/2 hour of such pissin' and moanin', some find it necessary to go to the enemy's field and drop all the FHs ... and only the FHs ... nothing else ... with the full intention of squashing the furball and assuming that those who were participating in the furball will now join in on THEIR quest to win the war.

but if they was having there furball in a constructive manor

Someone else asked you to answer this question and you didn't. Please tell us how YOU think that furballers could furball in a constructive manner. Mind you, answering the question may make you guilty of telling furballers how THEY should furball YOUR way ... a very slippery slope on the BBS.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2006, 07:04:09 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I personally have never seen a base capture from a field or fields that are feeding a furball.

What I have seen is strat players come over country channel and piss and moan that the furball between fields X and Y are nothing but a waste of resources ... and within a 1/2 hour of such pissin' and moanin', some find it necessary to go to the enemy's field and drop all the FHs ... and only the FHs ... nothing else ... with the full intention of squashing the furball and assuming that those who were participating in the furball will now join in on THEIR quest to win the war.

ive never seen this.

but if they was having there furball in a constructive manor

Someone else asked you to answer this question and you didn't. Please tell us how YOU think that furballers could furball in a constructive manner. Mind you, answering the question may make you guilty of telling furballers how THEY should furball YOUR way ... a very slippery slope on the BBS.

i did post... look up, and im not telling people how to play the game (unlike laz or hub). Its more advice... if you dont like the loss of the FH's or CV's defend them, dont whine on the BBS...(like you tell everyone else) or just move to another base. and announce to your furball budies there??

anyway have you ever thought that some of those guys enguaging the furball are there to try and squash resistance so they can take the base, hence hangers going down? You may call it a furball, but the others may call it a fight for the base :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:14:23 AM by Overlag »
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »
ive never seen this.

I don't believe that for a second ... you have been around too long to not have seen this.

i did post... look up, and im not telling people how to play the game (unlike laz or hub). Its more advice... if you dont like the loss of the FH's or CV's defend them.

I did read that post ... you didn't answer the question ... you ended up asking a question.

furballs to me seem to be who can get On the deck as fast as possible, then TnB there untill you die... Why cant a furball happen at..... lets say 10k?

if you dont like the loss of the FH's or CV's defend them.

Now your being cheeky ... under the context of the example that I gave, there was no reason to defend ... there was a furball in full action and a capture attempt by either side was not the objective ... the object was for some of the strat guys to grief the furball because it was using too many resources.

It was just a simple example of what does happen ... granted, not all the time but still ... it does happen ... and that is where some of this angst between furballers and strat comes from.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »

Now your being cheeky ... under the context of the example that I gave, there was no reason to defend ... there was a furball in full action and a capture attempt by either side was not the objective ... the object was for some of the strat guys to grief the furball because it was using too many resources.

It was just a simple example of what does happen ... granted, not all the time but still ... it does happen ... and that is where some of this angst between furballers and strat comes from.

ok, last night LWblue (i think)... bish cv near A18. Nice little "furball" between bases, but it was obvious from the repeated attempts by bish to hit A18 that the goal was to take the base.... the furball was just the result of the two forces clashing. I went there and "furballed" (id call it defending) and stopped any planes getting anywhere near the base, while TnBing or ZnBing (i wasnt in a turn fighter to fight seafires or zeros, but had some good TnB's with other F4u's). I had upped a f4u1 from our CV that was 20miles east because A18 was getting vulched and base capture WAS the goal.

Then the CV went down after about 40minutes. some moaned about the end of the furball... hell even i was like oooh dam no more here.... but at least we won the fight. I then went off to the other 4 or 5 bases that was flashing looking for kills, it wasnt the END of the world, it was just the end of that battle.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:33:39 AM by Overlag »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2006, 08:03:08 AM »
ok, last night LWblue (i think)... bish cv near A18. Nice little "furball" between bases, but it was obvious from the repeated attempts by bish to hit A18 that the goal was to take the base.... the furball was just the result of the two forces clashing. I went there and "furballed" (id call it defending) and stopped any planes getting anywhere near the base, while TnBing or ZnBing (i wasnt in a turn fighter to fight seafires or zeros, but had some good TnB's with other F4u's). I had upped a f4u1 from our CV that was 20miles east because A18 was getting vulched and base capture WAS the goal.

Then the CV went down after about 40minutes. some moaned about the end of the furball... hell even i was like oooh dam no more here.... but at least we won the fight. I then went off to the other 4 or 5 bases that was flashing looking for kills, it wasnt the END of the world, it was just the end of that battle.

If there is a valid attempt to take the base ... then all bets are off ... I have no problem with that. CV vs base furball is a tricky thing ... once LVTs are in the water ... SINK the CV by all means.

The scenario that I described is air base vs air base that was simply fueling fighters, for an extended period of time, for the furball and neither side was trying to capture the other ... and the FHs get dropped for no apparent reason but to squash the furball.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline outlaw21.bryan

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: fighter town
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2006, 08:05:34 AM »
every 2 bases has what could be a Fighter town between them...... why fracture the community any more?

Because between every two bases one side is trying to take the other.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2006, 08:24:32 AM »
ren...  that was a real hallmark moment.. you write for em?  but....

nonsensical... I will be glad to take your points one at a time if I can pick em out of the sacherin.

First of all... you are against people telling others "exactly how to play"   this is a great evil to you and you are accusing me and furballers of this great evil.

I agree that it is a great evil but say....  Who is telling people exactly how to play?   The ONLY people who command, demand and enforce that people play exactly as they say are the ones who run squads with rules and the little generals who type on country channel (we all see it).... all in caps... and demand that everyone go to fiels such and such RIGHT NOW..

Or... the squad leaders with rules who are into strat... they demand that their players play exactly as they say.

I agree with you.... players who demand people play their way are what is wrong with the community.

But is isn't I or the furballers... we may make fun of the way those guys play but we make no demands and either don't have squads or have squads the don't tell us what to do.

Got another point?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32:29 AM »
ren... ok... shoveled through more of your post and seen you had one more point..

You claim that you like the large (old?) arenas better because a guy could do everything there.  strat, furball etc.

I call bs again...  You can do everything it's just that with anything goes... you are gonna either be frustrated or idiotic if you want to do certain things.... If you are an early war plane fan... you will be slaughtered most of the time since all choice of planes means late war only are effective.   If you like furballs you will have less because..

The way things were... one guy with an easy mode flight of three fluffs could ruin the furball for 20 guys with little or no effort... and.... there is allways a few griefers in every 600 person arena... they look for fights to ruin and to grief.

The new arenas are better... the problem of too much chice and too many sardines has been recognized and the new arenas are here... they are better.   The people who tell people how to play and the griefers are less of a problem now.

Got any other points?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
Originally posted by pluck
i like HT's idea, it may not solve all the issues, but i don't see any reason to not try it.  i think it is a good step to help concentrate forces on a map in a way to promote more actual fighting.
vast

This would immediately degrade into a Mongolian Cluster ****, which would undoubtably tickle the Furballers Forever croud immeasurably, at least at first.  Everyone would know where to go, so nothing would happen except the side that could eventually muster a significant numbers advantage would eventually win the base.  Then it would start all over again.  Could take days just to win a single base, i.e. think of the map where the battle in the center is always around A2, A5 and V64 (V69???), and goes on for days with little real change.  No multiply that boredom by about 5 or 10.

No surprise attacks.  No tactics.  No missions.  No planning.  No NOE.  No need for CV's.  No smaller 2v2, or 3v3 battles since all are clustered in the same place.  No searching for, and out thinking an opponent on the attack or for evasion.  

The most likely scenario is a contineous ebb and flo of getting and giving a gang bang every time you up.   No real 1 v 1 encounters.  Even the Furballs will hate that. Can't attack a VBase if an ABase is the only attackable target at the moment.

Gee, what's not to like about this idea.  Great fun.  Why don't we just mail HiTech our $15 bucks and forget the whole thing, for all the ecitement that will be.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
If there is a valid attempt to take the base ... then all bets are off ... I have no problem with that. CV vs base furball is a tricky thing ... once LVTs are in the water ... SINK the CV by all means.

The scenario that I described is air base vs air base that was simply fueling fighters, for an extended period of time, for the furball and neither side was trying to capture the other ... and the FHs get dropped for no apparent reason but to squash the furball.

thing is, how does someone "know" that its just a furball and not a attack on there base? not trying to be anal or anything but to "some" (not me, i wouldnt have sunk the CV in my last post because we had CV close as well, so we could have kept the furball going along while without risking A18) wont know the difference between an attack going wrong or an attack coming at them.

killing the hangers (id prefer the troops myself....) is one way of "defending" the percieved threat of loosing there base, or loosing the battle to take the base.

we hear whines about undefended bases being taken, but at the same time we here whines about bases being taken/killed thats part of a furbal. What DO we want? Im not being funny....

Take undefended base?
or
Take base after a battle to take it?

i know your first post on this part of the subject said that the people JUST killed the FH's and only did it to destory the fight, but how do you know? perhaps they was going to come back and try and take the field but lost interest, or whatever? Ive seen THAT, ive not seen people destory FH just to piss off furballers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:47:10 PM by Overlag »

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
The way things were... one guy with an easy mode flight of three fluffs could ruin the furball for 20 guys with little or no effort... and.... there is allways a few griefers in every 600 person arena... they look for fights to ruin and to grief.

20 guys and not one could shoot down the buffs? and you blame the buffs for that? hehe :cry

and do you  HONESTLY think there's guys out there just to destroy YOU'RE fun?

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
20 guys and not one could shoot down the buffs? and you blame the buffs for that? hehe :cry

and do you  HONESTLY think there's guys out there just to destroy YOU'RE fun?

get 'em Overlag!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2006, 04:34:39 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This would immediately degrade into a Mongolian Cluster ****, which would undoubtably tickle the Furballers Forever croud immeasurably, at least at first.  Everyone would know where to go, so nothing would happen except the side that could eventually muster a significant numbers advantage would eventually win the base.  Then it would start all over again.  Could take days just to win a single base, i.e. think of the map where the battle in the center is always around A2, A5 and V64 (V69???), and goes on for days with little real change.  No multiply that boredom by about 5 or 10.

No surprise attacks.  No tactics.  No missions.  No planning.  No NOE.  No need for CV's.  No smaller 2v2, or 3v3 battles since all are clustered in the same place.  No searching for, and out thinking an opponent on the attack or for evasion.  

The most likely scenario is a contineous ebb and flo of getting and giving a gang bang every time you up.   No real 1 v 1 encounters.  Even the Furballs will hate that. Can't attack a VBase if an ABase is the only attackable target at the moment.

Gee, what's not to like about this idea.  Great fun.  Why don't we just mail HiTech our $15 bucks and forget the whole thing, for all the ecitement that will be.

which is why i added a few of my ideas to try to incorporate side balancing as well.  maybe re read my post.  i was saying the more even the numbers are the more bases you would be able to attack.  there would be strategy and tactics, because the chain would also be affected by which bases you take.  also i believe i stated that the country has much fewer numbers would have fewer bases that could be taken from them, but would be able to attack a larger amount.  that would fill the need for your sneaks or what have you.  i'm not sure what's fun about taking undefended bases from a country that can't defend itself.  was only a suggestion to help even the playing field for the country facing huge numbers.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40:42 PM »
i know your first post on this part of the subject said that the people JUST killed the FH's and only did it to destory the fight, but how do you know? perhaps they was going to come back and try and take the field but lost interest, or whatever? Ive seen THAT, ive not seen people destory FH just to piss off furballers.

I know that because they said so ... can't get any better than that .

After dropping the FHs I asked ... "Why did you drop the FHs ?" ... the answer was ... "Because you guys were wasting too many resources for hours between those 2 bases". I then said ... "Thanks a bunch for nothing, you just ruined a perfectly good furball for a lot of people" ... the reply was " ... I can do whatever I want, it's my 14.95"

There was no way they were going to capture either of the bases ... with over 50 people between the 2 bases constantly lifting ... there was no way a goon was gonna get in.
SlapShot - Blue Knights