Author Topic: How can we keep the small arenas fun?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
How can we keep the small arenas fun?
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »
I can't believe this thing is still alive..

One woudl think that anything thats mutated so far from its origins would become dysfunctional...or....

Nevermind.

Skuzzy, is there any command that would let the thread originator perform thread euthanasia?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
i know your first post on this part of the subject said that the people JUST killed the FH's and only did it to destory the fight, but how do you know? perhaps they was going to come back and try and take the field but lost interest, or whatever? Ive seen THAT, ive not seen people destory FH just to piss off furballers.

I know that because they said so ... can't get any better than that .

After dropping the FHs I asked ... "Why did you drop the FHs ?" ... the answer was ... "Because you guys were wasting too many resources for hours between those 2 bases". I then said ... "Thanks a bunch for nothing, you just ruined a perfectly good furball for a lot of people" ... the reply was " ... I can do whatever I want, it's my 14.95"

There was no way they were going to capture either of the bases ... with over 50 people between the 2 bases constantly lifting ... there was no way a goon was gonna get in.

thats lame, but i guess if you defended it....... :eek:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
20 guys and not one could shoot down the buffs? and you blame the buffs for that? hehe :cry

and do you  HONESTLY think there's guys out there just to destroy YOU'RE fun?

Again your being cheeky ... You know all too well, and you have said it yourself, that those who are engaged in furballs are typically "on the deck" ... hence the bombers go unscathed.

Yes ... honestly there are guys out there to wreck someone's or some peoples fun ... have you forgotten all the post on the Fighter Town/Tank Town griefers ? Their only real intentions were just that ... ruin the fun.

The most disturbing part of your posts is the lightly veiled "stupid"ness. Myself, and I am sure there are a lot of other people know that you know a lot more than you let on in your posts only to get those, like Mr. No Name, all charged up.

Stop playing dumb ... it only adds fuel to the fire.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2006, 04:54:43 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
thats lame, but i guess if you defended it....... :eek:

One more time cheeky boy ... please understand !!!

IT WAS MY COUNTRYMAN THAT DROPPED THE HANGERS AT THE ENEMY'S AIRFIELD  TO STOP THE FIGHT.

There is no way for me to DEFEND against that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2006, 05:26:28 PM »
One more time cheeky boy ... please understand !!!

IT WAS MY COUNTRYMAN THAT DROPPED THE HANGERS AT THE ENEMY'S AIRFIELD  TO STOP THE FIGHT.

There is no way for me to DEFEND against that.

:eek: always been cheeky

however would you agree theres a very small percentage of people like that?

its like more often than not, if i ask to keep a fight 1on1 i can get people to bug out and leave the enemy im fighting alone.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:30:18 PM by Overlag »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2006, 05:53:26 PM »
however would you agree theres a very small percentage of people like that?

Yes I would agree ... but it still doesn't lessen the fact that it happens and when it does ... it sucks on a monumental scale. This is what fractures the community.

In AH1 ... I never ever experienced this type of behavior ... it wouldn't have been tolerated by the community and the guy would have been berated by all because back then ... the community was 200-250 strong at it best ... and it wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Griefers survive and thrive in large communities cause they can quietly fade into the overall landscape and hide.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2006, 05:56:11 PM »
i remember AHI having 750 people on during the evenings.... and its taken AHII a year to get back to that.....

i guess you are talking about 2002/03?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2006, 09:16:17 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This would immediately degrade into a Mongolian Cluster ****, which would undoubtably tickle the Furballers Forever croud immeasurably, at least at first.  Everyone would know where to go, so nothing would happen except the side that could eventually muster a significant numbers advantage would eventually win the base.  Then it would start all over again.  Could take days just to win a single base, i.e. think of the map where the battle in the center is always around A2, A5 and V64 (V69???), and goes on for days with little real change.  No multiply that boredom by about 5 or 10.

No surprise attacks.  No tactics.  No missions.  No planning.  No NOE.  No need for CV's.  No smaller 2v2, or 3v3 battles since all are clustered in the same place.  No searching for, and out thinking an opponent on the attack or for evasion.  

The most likely scenario is a contineous ebb and flo of getting and giving a gang bang every time you up.   No real 1 v 1 encounters.  Even the Furballs will hate that. Can't attack a VBase if an ABase is the only attackable target at the moment.

Gee, what's not to like about this idea.  Great fun.  Why don't we just mail HiTech our $15 bucks and forget the whole thing, for all the ecitement that will be.

Heh.  This format worked for years with AW.  The big fights are channeled, so that horde meets horde.  Those who are after smaller combats find them out on the fringes.  You can still run your NOE missions, they're just a lot harder to pull off.  "Outhinking your opponent" is a lot harder than it is now - but with all the talent here, it shouldn't be impossible.

- oldman

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
ren...  that was a real hallmark moment.. you write for em?  but....

nonsensical... I will be glad to take your points one at a time if I can pick em out of the sacherin.

First of all... you are against people telling others "exactly how to play"   this is a great evil to you and you are accusing me and furballers of this great evil.

I agree that it is a great evil but say....  Who is telling people exactly how to play?   The ONLY people who command, demand and enforce that people play exactly as they say are the ones who run squads with rules and the little generals who type on country channel (we all see it).... all in caps... and demand that everyone go to fiels such and such RIGHT NOW..

Or... the squad leaders with rules who are into strat... they demand that their players play exactly as they say.

I agree with you.... players who demand people play their way are what is wrong with the community.

But is isn't I or the furballers... we may make fun of the way those guys play but we make no demands and either don't have squads or have squads the don't tell us what to do.

Got another point?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Man you are either truely clueless or delusional.  Your main piss and moan seems to be other folks squads rules.  What business is it of your concern?  Why should you care about what rules are set out by squad leaders?  You seem to embrace anarchy and nothing more.  It shouldn't be your concern what a squad does or requires unless it effects you personally and not on a general scale.  You are in a squad and "WE" as a community don't care what rules you have or not have.  It's not our business or concern.    I don't personally believe that you are that delusional as those of us who have been here for several years know that your squad is the king of BBS "Trolls", and this has to be one of the all time ones!  All you advocate is a personal fight between folks but I've seen your type of fight.  You lay back and wait until everybody is engaged and zoom in and knock off somebody.  You advocate personal fights, then why don't you just get personal and fight somebody one on one who wants to do likewise?  The bottom line is whatever you convince HT with your BS is that folks are gonna play their way and not yours and you aren't going to force them to it and neither will HT.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Heh.  This format worked for years with AW.  The big fights are channeled, so that horde meets horde.  Those who are after smaller combats find them out on the fringes.  You can still run your NOE missions, they're just a lot harder to pull off.  "Outhinking your opponent" is a lot harder than it is now - but with all the talent here, it shouldn't be impossible.

- oldman

Out think needs to be changed to "out avoid" the opponant :)

Why anyone would not want to meet the bad guys in 'combat' in a game where you really aren't dying, is beyond me.

I can see it now.  The US commanders see that the Japanese are headed for Midway.  HAH!  We'll avoid them and attack Antarctica instead! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
You lay back and wait until everybody is engaged and zoom in and knock off somebody.

And you base this on what ? ... what FALCON said ? ... cause from what I can see, you have 0 kills on Lazs and he has 0 kills on you ... so I would presume that your observation(s) are not first hand.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
You lay back and wait until everybody is engaged and zoom in and knock off somebody.

And you base this on what ? ... what FALCON said ? ... cause from what I can see, you have 0 kills on Lazs and he has 0 kills on you ... so I would presume that your observation(s) are not first hand.

Well Slap, I did observe it.  Call you what you will and I did get get some shots off on his fm-2  but didn't get the kill.  Just one engagement but I saw what Falc reported.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Call it what you wish.  I really don't care that much anymore.  I just logged on and there is almost nobody to fight anywhere.  I work night shifts and get my fix in the mornings after work and for the last several weeks there can't be fight to be bought. This is not good!  I usually get online around 10am ESt and could find something but not in the last several weeks.  I guess Laz and you guys have got what you want, nobody to jump into your fights, no toolshedders to ruin your fight.  Now there just isn't a fight you can buy in the EST mornings.  Go figger? has this been good for the community as your PR guy says it will be?  Be careful of what you wish for as you just might get it.

All the Best..
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
Well Slap, I did observe it.  Call you what you will and I did get get some shots off on his fm-2  but didn't get the kill.  Just one engagement but I saw what Falc reported.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Call it what you wish.  I really don't care that much anymore.  I just logged on and there is almost nobody to fight anywhere.  I work night shifts and get my fix in the mornings after work and for the last several weeks there can't be fight to be bought. This is not good!  I usually get online around 10am ESt and could find something but not in the last several weeks.  I guess Laz and you guys have got what you want, nobody to jump into your fights, no toolshedders to ruin your fight.  Now there just isn't a fight you can buy in the EST mornings.  Go figger? has this been good for the community as your PR guy says it will be?  Be careful of what you wish for as you just might get it.

All the Best..
Jay
awDoc1

Well ... after one brief encounter, I would not climb out on a limb and make any overall assessment on anyone ... like I said in the other thread ... my brief encounter with FALC and his wingmen didn't bowl me over either, but I would not even think of taking it verbally until I spent a little more time in the barrel with them.

I feel for you ... believe it or not.

I think that HT needs to do some more research and see if he can fine tune the implementation/starting of his "balancing" tools based on time(s). I think that some of it is already based on timing, and if that is true, I think that it needs to be a little more granular.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
Dosn't need adjusting at 10am est the limits are at 200 and the population max in a lw is aroud 130 - 140.

so what doc1kelley is realy saying is please HT force all these other people to fly with me.

HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Dosn't need adjusting at 10am est the limits are at 200 and the population max in a lw is aroud 130 - 140.

so what doc1kelley is realy saying is please HT force all these other people to fly with me.

HiTech

Alrighty then ...  :aok
SlapShot - Blue Knights