Author Topic: AH is loosing its essence  (Read 5001 times)

Offline eh

• Copper Member
AH is loosing its essence
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »
those stutters are bugs.. has nothing to do with system specs..

Boy am I glad to hear that. They started as soon as I installed the patch last night for the first time in a couple of years.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »
Originally posted by roach
I am confident that a perked ordinance system will result in disgruntled veteran players and a loss of revenue for Hi Tech Creations.

Well not this one...............

I like the increased ack.....bases are still being taken, porking is much much less, vulching is much much less....the game is about attack and defend and not pork and counter pork.

wrong skinned drones, invisible hills, some warps (not sure if they are me or the other guy yet).......can be annoying but they are stuff that will be fixed.

My FR seems stable and check my system dxdiag its not a high end system by anymeans.

As for a perk ord system its gotta be a winner IMO. Of course if its applied "over vigorously" it could spoil game play............. but any of the arena variables HTC can modify could be used to spoil game play if used to silly excess. Fortunately HTC know better than that and will assuredly tune it till its influence achieves what HTC desires.

AS well as  generating a better survival instinct for those who would pick heavy ordinance loads it would also open the options of a much wider selection of loadouts..............

the Yak 9T could become the Yak 9M/T with either the 20 or  37mm cannon.

The 3 cannon La7 could then be perked.

4 cannon spits may be available

twin 37mm JU87's may be available.

Some interesting A20 options may appear............

Tall boys and grand slams may be available for lancasters................

4000lb cookies for B Mossies, 57mm bofors for Mossies (???)
Ludere Vincere

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
I dont think you ever had a clue....
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
about the "essence" of the game. 1st and formost it was and seems like it will about air combat again. In the "original" game (Air Warrior) you had limited base capture and no ability to win the war or change maps. The secondary capture features simply allowed the ability to wage a battle. You attacked or defended or both....the game revolved aroung the fight itself.

The "essence" of the game changed when large numbers of semi-skilled players began to focus on actually "winning" the fight and found they could overwhelm the "system". The game has suffered tremendously as a result. All thats happened here is that in order to actually capture a base you'll need to actually project true air power over a specific area for a greater period of time. Poorly planned attacks will suffer greater and ongoing attrition but good planning and execution will be rewarded.....

So....get some skillz and you'll be fine.........

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 08:20:34 PM »
people will get used to it...... people hate change..... hell i do too.... but really it takes time to get used to it. (i still miss large arenas with large maps).

before the changes to ack, 2-4 people could take a base relatively easy, with virtually no preplanning or team work. This is what the old large MA was about. no one knowing anyone else, and flying around allone trying to vulch and capture bases.

now, with the miniature MA's and massive ack fields, people will start to learn a new way of fighting in groups.... and making friends in the progress.

today, i created 3 missions, and knits at first didn't seem keen, but some joined and came on these missions. These missions, using P38s (or F4us from CV) with rockets cleared ack from fields with "minor" losses. once done, the air was clear for the "loners" (that's a harsh word) that came to the area due to the large darbar, and the base falls soon after.

When I'm talking about missions i don't mean 30 people pork and augering... the max we had was probably 10, and it was more fun to wing up with people instead of flying on my own. after a few months, this will probably be the norm... and people will never look back.

But, the defenders also need to start using similar tactics... which leads me to another mission i created. The problem is, defence always seems limited to a few uppers, in a non organised fashion. Defenders will have to start to adapt to the new groups.... instead of relying on the ack to protect them.

IF you see a large darbar forming, or a CV coming to the coast, make a small counter mission, and get your friends up in a GROUP. Fight the group with a group... not whines that the ack needs to be strengthened AGAIN. See this is the issue.... the attackers seem to adapt faster to new things, while the defenders keep the same basic "get up as fast as possible" attitude, and not the organised defence attitude.

HOWEVER.... i can see these ack changes really really hurting the base capture types in EW arena.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:26:59 PM by Overlag »
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 08:47:35 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
the game still has base capture yes! but only if you have a monster hord.. if everybody joined same side in EW you would be hard pushed to capture a base from 2 defenders..i for 1 don't really like flying in a hord..

I was in EW last night and we took a port base.

It was tough between the VH's and acks popping up but finally after about 5 or 6 of us were somewhat coordinated we finally took the base.  Took a good thirty to forty-five minutes to do though.

Reminded me of the early days again.

I like the changes.  I was outside with the kids tonight having a fire.  As they went in to clean up and I started to put out the fire and thought about this.

I realized that even though most people are extremely vocal about things I hadn't seen anyone damn the changes yet.  I figured anyone who would attack an undefended base wouldn't have the balls to complain about the changes (not saying that Selector falls in that category).

I think this is the first complaint I've seen against the changes.

HTC.  Progressive IMO.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:00:40 PM by Yknurd »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »
Originally posted by megadud
See Rule #4

:rofl
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:54:14 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 09:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
people will get used to it...... people hate change..... hell i do too.... but really it takes time to get used to it. (i still miss large arenas with large maps).

before the changes to ack, 2-4 people could take a base relatively easy, with virtually no preplanning or team work. This is what the old large MA was about. no one knowing anyone else, and flying around allone trying to vulch and capture bases.

now, with the miniature MA's and massive ack fields, people will start to learn a new way of fighting in groups.... and making friends in the progress.

Who are you?  And what have you done with Overlag?

- oldman

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2006, 09:40:57 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Who are you?  And what have you done with Overlag?

- oldman

:)

there is some sence in this head......

........im just not drunk tonight.;)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2006, 10:26:09 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
Exactly Zazen... Are you the Zazen from AW? (I am thinking mid to late 90's)  

Yup, that's me...Started in 1990-1991. Who were you in AW?

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »
what!!!  no more milking? :cry
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2006, 10:42:23 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
You're kidding me, right?  The stutters and hills stuff will be worked out, but bases can't be captured?  Yeah, if you're flying with a bunch of suicide augertards maybe.  Ack is finally as lethal as it should be.

Not quite.   I want the bases to be as well defended as the CVs.   Then it will be defended enough.

I'm not joking either.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
I blame flouride.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2006, 10:51:58 PM »
Originally posted by mensa180
Not quite.   I want the bases to be as well defended as the CVs.   Then it will be defended enough.

I'm not joking either.

yup.... will say it again

the ATTACKERS will work out new ways of attacking the fields and within a few weeks it will be "normal" again.

the DEFENDERS however will probably be close to nonexistent or rather, posting here asking for ack to be even harder.

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2006, 11:07:06 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55
I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I was just involved in an attempted base capture, as one of the defenders. Started out as a fairly even fight. Over time we were overwhelmed by numbers.  The attackers were coming in from two seperate airfields, and a cv that was offshore.
Some friendlies were coming in from a neighbor airfield, others upping  from the the one being attacked. Some, including myself went to the osti's and m16's to try and provide cover.
Eventually the field was de-acked, and the vulch fest began, with me being vulched about 5 times before i gave up.  When i left the field was about to change possesion.

All good fun. You win some and lose some. Oh yeah, i was in one of the late war arena's, so i'm not sure if this relevant to you.

Imagine this .... we actually have to now coordinate attacks to take bases..... two fields and a CV involved....kinda like the RL WWII.

HTC for making the game more challenging with each update
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
loosing
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
I play for the fun of a gruop of people working togather to achive something, a base capture or to win a map with air ground and sea working togather. This is what I think has made AH. Some of the changes do not bother me at all. Need more ack but some of the new maps take ground play out of the game, 30+ minute drives to get to the action, before you air guys say anything I bet most of you would be gone if you had to fly that long.

Base captures are getting harder, no problem but be warned. too hard can be as bad as to easly. If this becomes a pure flight Slim. most would become bored very quickly.

I hope the game does not change to much more.
Enough for tonight.
JT