Author Topic: AH is loosing its essence  (Read 5005 times)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
AH is loosing its essence
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2006, 12:01:01 AM »
Hey everybody...give this a week or two...and take another look at the newest change in gameplay.

At first glance, this looks like something two make captures harder. However, If you all remember, a 10 player NOE sneak could be foiled by 2-3 guys upping when the base started flashing.

So, what can we expect now?

How about people thinking, "All of our bases are now gaurded by uber-ack, so now we can horde/pork/furball to our hearts content."

If this happens,(hopefully not,) we could see a very detrimental effect on gameplay. Why, you ask? People will quit defending. There won't be any urgency to defend. Milkrunning will still happen, Only not as often. But I think people will prefer to up at another field, flying around trying to get alt to pick attackers from on high, relying on base ack to do the bulk of the work. Players will do anything but defend, which few were doing beforehand, anyway. I hope i'm wrong on this, really, but It looks like things might get a little stale.

Offline shamroc

• Copper Member
Not liking the way the game is changing
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2006, 01:51:26 AM »
The new changes and continuing trend towards abolishing any action but furballing is a great disappointment.  I will not continue playing a game where, I, the paying customer, is forced to play a certain way.

I like flying fighters - been doing it since 1992 (AW 1.13) - but I also like ground attack, taking bases, flying stukas etc. etc. etc.   Furballing is ok now and then, but for the most part, I'd rather do base capture type missions (with my squaddies).

The changes over the last year have been all about discouraging anything but furballing sorties - I equate this with going to Burger King, putting up money, and being told I must eat a Whopper & Apple Pie (no other choices or exceptions).

The SILENT MAJORITY does not want to fly sortie after sortie of furballing - MOST players (especially newbies) are LOW SKILLED fighter jocks - they want to slowly attain skill doing base capture/strat missions - not be virtual Punching Bags for the Rooks.

Given the learning curve of this type of game, do you really think new players will be motivated to stick it out after being slaughtered time and time again by the proverbial horde ?

Continuing with the doctrine of turning the MA into a glorified DA will only result in a mass exodus from the game.  I don't want to see this happen.

A year ago, I loved this game...  I loved everything about it - nowadays I question what I'm paying for.

Give us MORE PLANES and MORE OPTIONS - not MORE RESTRICTIONS.  DO NOT TELL US WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO PLAY JUST BECAUSE A SMALL GROUP OF SCORE potatoS WANT EASY KILLS!

This isn't meant as a whine  - it's simply an expression of what MOST PLAYERS (as opposed to the sycophantic minority that regularly posts to this forum) are thinking right now.

The game is going downhill - and given what a GREAT LEGACY this game is, it's incredibly sad.

Please reconsider...
Shamroc

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2006, 03:12:06 AM »
Shamroc, what game are you playing?

All I've seen since the change is an increase in intensity in the fighting for fields and carriers.  People aren't stopping their efforts to take a field.  They just have to work at it now.

This isn't furball v Toolshedder anymore.  As one who prefers the acm part of the game, I found it fun tonite to try and cover buffs going into that ack.  Guys were able to up from the carriers and the fields more consistantly so the fights were much more ongoing and intense.

How this can be a bad thing is beyond me.    To take a base has now become a challenge and if anything makes it more appealing to the 'furballer' as you put it, to help out as he's going to know there will be a fight, not just dead hangers.

Tonite there was a carrier off a V base with two other bases involved in the fight.  It was constant and swayed back and forth between the enemy carrier and our Vbase.  Ack was a major factor over both and kept the fight alive.  I didn't hear anyone gripe about it from either side.

It was great fun.

Same thing last night over A1.  Guys having a ball and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: Not liking the way the game is changing
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2006, 03:29:37 AM »
Originally posted by shamroc
Waaaahhhhhhh...  I equate this with going to Burger King
Woowoo!!

:noid

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2006, 04:33:53 AM »
Huh? Is the milkrunning finally dealt with?

That can't be bad. Not bad at all.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: Re: AH is loosing its essence
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2006, 04:52:04 AM »
Originally posted by megadud
Correct me if i am wrong but didn't AH evolve from AW which from my understanding was 80 to 90% air to air combat. That is the essence of the game as you put it and through the years it has evolved into mega squads taking bases more then the actually air to air fight.

If anything the new changes makes the game more challenging and more fun.

HTC left.....>>> Warbirds <<<....and made Aces High.  I believe you have been corrected:D

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
tooshay but the people came from AW and was warbirds not about the fight?

nice one though@! :aok

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2006, 07:36:07 AM »
However, HiTech flew Air Warrior BEFORE he wrote Warbirds. So the truth is, Air Warrior is the genesis for online combat flight sims, and HiTech was there real early on. I think some of the originals told me how early he was there, and it was pretty early.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2006, 10:05:48 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
I blame flouride.

.... and thanks for the reference!

BTW, have always enjoyed running into you Warloc. What era do you hang out in nowadays?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Roach = Another on hook from the perk ord. thread.

:rofl

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
Originally posted by eh
those stutters are bugs.. has nothing to do with system specs..

Boy am I glad to hear that. They started as soon as I installed the patch last night for the first time in a couple of years. [/B]

See Kev's post on the subject. He nailed it.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »
Hit wrong button. Nothing to say. Move along.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »
Originally posted by VOR
Step one: kill defenses
Step two: capture base
Step three: profit

God forbid if Fighters fight!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
Might I suggest a Baskin Robbins approach, the company that offers a flavor of icecream for practically everyone...

A traditional war arena, with the older large maps, and traditional game dynamics and these new war arenas with all of the new perk systems and so forth.

Then, and only then, will Hi Tech be able to witness what arena players populate the most.  This will clearly demonstrate what the customer desires!  

Ideally, all arenas will be populated as both the traditionalists and the progressives will be satisfied.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2006, 11:34:50 AM »
Originally posted by roach
Might I suggest a Baskin Robbins approach, the company that offers a flavor of icecream for practically everyone...

A traditional war arena, with the older large maps, and traditional game dynamics and these new war arenas with all of the new perk systems and so forth.

Then, and only then, will Hi Tech be able to witness what arena players populate the most.  This will clearly demonstrate what the customer desires!  

Ideally, all arenas will be populated as both the traditionalists and the progressives will be satisfied.

[SIZE=10]NO[/SIZE]

All the little milkrunning/horde monkeys will gravitate there.
I need the ez targets .

:p

Bronk
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:37:41 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4