Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 14716 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2007, 03:04:33 PM »
Hey Look!

There are tons and tons of environmental AND meteorolgical scientists posting in this forum!

Who would have known?

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Global Warming
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2007, 03:04:57 PM »
I can not help but think back to the scientist who sid Mt St. Helens eruption put out more CO2 than all of humakind ever did. That happened over a couple days, right? Well, look at what Vesuvius did in 1944, or the eruption in the Phillipines, or the multitude of other volcanos that are constantly erupting.

Having that evidence glaring at me, I am left to conclude that the human population can effect the environment to a point short of themro nuclear war, but the Earth itself can do far more damage than we could ever hope to.

Do you have a source for this claim? The US geological survey estimates volcanoes put out about 1% of the CO2 man produces:

Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.
Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1999, 1992). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 22 billion tonnes per year (24 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 1998) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon (C), rather than CO2.]. Human activities release more than 150 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of nearly 17,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 13.2 million tonnes/year)

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/VolGas/volgas.html

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so don't run your air conditioner because you are cheap but don't tell us you are doing it to save the planet...  if you believe that then why do you even have an air conditioner.

You do know that most cars are made to run with the compressor on even when the heater is on?   that if you don't run the air conditioner once in a while it will wear out in record time and then valuable resources will be spent replacing it and... you will have to recharge it with chemicals...

people won't ride in the car with you because you and your car will stink like sweat and so they will take their own car and double the pollution.

Your not using it is destroying the planet.   In this case...your "common sense" solution is a net loss.

lazs

I started a long post but deleted all

You're not worth the effort.

btw I consider your 1st sentence as an insult ,as usual you're unable to discuss without using this king of "cheap" trick.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:10:49 PM by straffo »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Global Warming
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
Global warming is overmodeled.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
Big volcanic eruptions normally add to global dimming, which cool the planet.
I live near to a Volcano. I've seen eruptions that threw a mushroom shaped cloud to 40K in a matter of hours. Yet, in the radius, there is no comparison of the smog compared with a big city. You can see the smog globe around a metropolis from a 100 miles....if the rest of the air on your continent is clear enough to allow the visibility.
Many of you folks don't even know what clear air is. So you haggle on, like a colour blind trying to convince one that there is no red or green.
That thing posted about St. Helens is absolute rubbish, - and apart from that, there is NOTHING we can do about volcanoes.
And Lazs, your slash at Straffo is cheap and confusing. To make things simple, how would you pick and use yer ride if the Gas was 8$ a gallon? Air conditioner incuded...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

storch

Global Warming
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »
it should be perked

storch

Global Warming
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:54 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Big volcanic eruptions normally add to global dimming, which cool the planet.
I live near to a Volcano. I've seen eruptions that threw a mushroom shaped cloud to 40K in a matter of hours. Yet, in the radius, there is no comparison of the smog compared with a big city. You can see the smog globe around a metropolis from a 100 miles....if the rest of the air on your continent is clear enough to allow the visibility.
Many of you folks don't even know what clear air is. So you haggle on, like a colour blind trying to convince one that there is no red or green.
That thing posted about St. Helens is absolute rubbish, - and apart from that, there is NOTHING we can do about volcanoes.
And Lazs, your slash at Straffo is cheap and confusing. To make things simple, how would you pick and use yer ride if the Gas was 8$ a gallon? Air conditioner incuded...
but but but in the mid-late 1970's that very same smog was the basis for the theory of another iceage.  the same type of draft card burning skirt wearing limpwristed freddie mercury mustachioed disco loving commie hugging liberal was getting grant money to chicken little the talk show circuit with the very same dire predictions and suggesting we all buy fur.  ya can't have it both ways yaknowwhatimean?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You are piloting a single engine aircraft.  Suddenly you realize something is vibrating,  What do you do?  

Shutdown that damn conveyor belt!  ;)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Global Warming
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
but but but in the mid-late 1970's that very same smog was the basis for the theory of another iceage. the same type of draft card burning skirt wearing limpwristed freddie mercury mustachioed disco loving commie hugging liberal was getting grant money to chicken little the talk show circuit with the very same dire predictions and suggesting we all buy fur. ya can't have it both ways yaknowwhatimean?

Do you have any evidence that in the 70s there was something approaching a scientific consensus that the earth was close to an ice age? Because apart from isolated, speculative stories, I've never seen anything of the sort.

There's a huge difference between some nutty environmentalists and fringe scientists speculating on what might happen, and a near consensus of scientists  agreeing on what is happening.

Anyone wanting to prove global warming has been a widespread theory can point to the historical record back to the late 1980s, this for example from a Margaret Thatcher speech in 1990:

Many of us have been worried for some time now about the accumulating evidence of damage to the global environment and the consequences for life on Earth and for future generations. I spoke about this to the Royal Society in 1988 and to the United Nations General Assembly in November last year. Today, with the publication of the Report of the Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change, we have an authoritative early warning system, an agreed assessment from some three hundred of the world's leading scientists on what is happening to the world's climate—all this under your distinguished chairmanship, Dr. Houghton. I congratulate you on getting three hundred distinguished scientists to agree on a single report—you must be quite a chairman! It is a triumph for you today, both the Report and the opening of the new Centre for which you have obviously been very eager.

Your Report confirms that greenhouse gases are increasing substantially as a result of Man's activities; that this will warm the Earth's surface, with serious consequences for us all, and that these consequences are capable of prediction. We want to predict them more accurately and that is why we are opening this Centre today.

Can you point to any such thing regarding an impending ice age from the 70s? Anything that shows the scientific community, and governments, were taking such an issue seriously? (note the odd article, from the hundreds of thousands published every year, doesn't really count. You have to show some serious support for the idea.)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Global Warming
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2007, 06:37:46 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Shutdown that damn conveyor belt!  ;)
ROFLMBO!!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline tailblues

• Zinc Member
Global Warming
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2007, 06:57:26 PM »
I r teh shades
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:13:19 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Gunston

• Zinc Member
Global Warming
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
Politicians and a lot of the public alike, refusing to identify global warming.
Denialism.

I have checked the posts made by myself and others that share my position. I do not believe that any of us have denied the existence of global warming. Where we differ is the question "is it being caused by man or is it a natural cycle". I believe we have quoted many credible sources that would indicate our position is right that it is not caused by man (Mars is warming also, the middle ages were as warm or warmer than now, etc.) Others have quoted sources to substantiate their point of view. Therefore the question remains unanswered not just by us on this board but the scientific community as well.

So the only real question is what should be the response of the world community? Should we destroy the economies of the western world? That is the result should Kyoto be ratified by the US. I would like to link to a speech made by Lord Nigel Lawson November 1, 2006.

http://ff.org/centers/csspp/pdf/20061112_reason.pdf

I believe that anyone who actually reads this will find it honest, factual and hard to argue against. And no it is not one sided he like myself agrees that the climate is warming and that the wealthier nations have an obligation to assist the poorer nations in coping with changes that may occur such as rising sea levels.

I am not religious if fact I have never been to any church service. But what I know of religion from reading and my interaction with others puts me in a good position to agree with one section of this article in particular and it is the only portion I will quote.

“It is not difficult to understand, however, the appeal of the conventional climate change wisdom. Throughout the ages something deep in man's psyche has made him receptive to apocalyptic warnings: "the end of the world is nigh". Almost of all us are imbued with a sense of guilt and a sense of sin, and it is so much less uncomfortable to divert our attention away from our individual sins and causes of guilt, arising from how we have treated our neighbours, and to sublimate it in collective guilt and collective sin.

Throughout the ages, too, the weather has been an important part of the narrative. In primitive societies it was customary for extreme weather events to be explained as punishment from the gods for the sins of the people; and there is no shortage of examples of this theme in the Bible, either - particularly but not exclusively in the Old Testament.

The main change is that the new priests are scientists (well rewarded with research grants for their pains) rather than clerics of the established religions, and the new religion is eco-fundamentalism. But it is a distinction without much of a difference. And the old religions have not been slow to make common cause. Does all this matter? Up to a
point, no. Unbelievers should not be dismissive of the comfort that religion can bring. If people feel better when they buy a hybrid car and see a few windmills dotted about (although perhaps not in their own backyard), then so be it. And in a democracy, if greenery is what the people want, politicians will understandably provide it, dressed in the most high-flown rhetoric they can muster. Indeed, if people are happy to pay a carbon tax, provided it is not at too high a level, and the proceeds are used to cut income tax, that
would not be a disaster, either. It would have to be a consumer-based tax, however, since in the globalised world economy industry is highly mobile, whereas individuals are much less so.”

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »
Originally posted by Gunston
I believe that anyone who actually reads this will find it honest, factual and hard to argue against.

It's easy to argue against: all you have to do is the ol' ad hominem...  he's either a stupid ignorant American, or American influenced, or the worst possiblity, influenced by an American big oil... maybe even Halliburton.

Therefore nothing he has to say is to be believed.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2007, 02:59:43 AM »
Originally posted by storch
but but but in the mid-late 1970's that very same smog was the basis for the theory of another iceage.  the same type of draft card burning skirt wearing limpwristed freddie mercury mustachioed disco loving commie hugging liberal was getting grant money to chicken little the talk show circuit with the very same dire predictions and suggesting we all buy fur.  ya can't have it both ways yaknowwhatimean?

LOL, well particles will add to dimming, must be true if Freddy said so.
Anyway, to learn from History, the biggest eruption in the last 2000 years or so, cooled the N-Hemisphere quite a bit and caused hunger through less crops in countries like England, France and Egypt alike.
Without the dimming, we'd have even more heating, but heating seems to be on top like it or not.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Global Warming
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2007, 03:53:31 AM »
LOL, well particles will add to dimming, must be true if Freddy said so.
Anyway, to learn from History, the biggest eruption in the last 2000 years or so, cooled the N-Hemisphere quite a bit and caused hunger through less crops in countries like England, France and Egypt alike.
Without the dimming, we'd have even more heating, but heating seems to be on top like it or not.

Which eruption are you refering too?

The eruption of the supervolcano Taupo caldera in the central north island NZ 1,800 years ago is as far as I know from what I have read, the largest eruption in the last 5,000 years. Apparently it affected the atmosphere way up there in the northern hemisphere as the romans noted, but I have never heard any claims before that it affected the european climate and diminished food production.

btw welcome back :-)