Author Topic: Th course of British Society in the future  (Read 4687 times)

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Th course of British Society in the future
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Let's look at the slave trade. As we can all agree, the British Empire was brutal and tyrannical so we can make allowances for its involvement.

What excuse does the noble, great and just U.S.A. have?

Touched a soft spot huh?  Try to diminish the flaws of your homeland by looking to other's? Nice try strawman.

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
Originally posted by Stevebailey
Touched a soft spot huh? Try to diminish the flaws of your homeland by looking to other's? Nice try straw-man.

The slave trade consisted of 'the trade triangle' of which one of the stops was  South east America. White American settlers ,your forefathers, Took part and benefited greatly from it, helping you country to bud into what it has become Steve. so there is no need for the 'straw-man' or other comments, though admittedly dowding may have appeared a little 'full on', ;we all have our moments.:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:00:21 PM by Laurie »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
Straw-man arguments are the de facto method of discussion in the O-Club, Steve. It's a long standing tradition.

Try to diminish the flaws of your homeland by looking to other's?

Not at all. I can accept the 'black history' within my ancestry. Can you say the same?

But the point still stands. America could be as brutal and repressive as any other country within its own sphere of influence. Slavery was abolished by Britain before the US; Britain worked hard to police the illegal slave trade on the West coast of Africa and founded Freetown for freed slaves.

But then the world was a brutal place back then, and thanks to the liberals of the time, we are able to look back and criticise (at least you can in Britain).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:01:49 PM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
Let's look at the slave trade. As we can all agree, the British Empire was brutal and tyrannical so we can make allowances for its involvement.

That the British established the slave trade here long before we were independent?

That the British set about eliminating the Indian from desirable land here long before we were independent?

:lol
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »
That the British established the slave trade here long before we were indendent?

And the British set about eliminating the Indian from desirable land here long before we were independent?

So we just continued it for another 150+ years because the dispicable British who we spit on and who we have just shed blood to kick off our land said it was a good idea?

Dejavu. Definitely seen this argument before in the O-Club. ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
That the British established the slave trade here long before we were independent?

That the British set about eliminating the Indian from desirable land here long before we were independent?

LOL

So they were British when they were part of a colony, but a generation or two later they were Americans who did nothing wrong.

Gotcha.

:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
|Laurie,Churchill once talked about a united states of Europe....do you know what prompted him to say that?

If you do,I would love to hear you explain it to me.then we might get somewhere.

All the Best.:)
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2007, 01:49:34 PM »
Dejavu. Definitely seen this argument before in the O-Club. ;)

Yes, indeed we have.

Feel free to make your case once again; I don't think 150 years is "spot on".

You may want to check your dates.

1833 Abolition of Slavery Act – Britain abolishes slavery and provides for the emancipation of enslaved people in the British West Indies, to take effect in August 1834. The Act declares that the former enslaved people must serve a period of apprenticeship before receiving full emancipation. Originally this period was set at six years, but it was later reduced to four.

1838 Emancipation of enslaved people in British territories. Colonial assemblies pass laws against vagrancy and squatting to support the planters’ interests.

1865 The Thirteenth Amendment marks the abolition of slavery in the USA at the end of the American Civil War
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
LOL

So they were British when they were part of a colony, but a generation or two later they were Americans who did nothing wrong.

Gotcha.

:aok

Did anyone say anything about " Americans who did nothing wrong".

No. Well, no one except you. Do you need any more straw for that thing?

In any event, it's clear we were only following longstanding family traditions in both cases.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
In any event, it's clear we were only following longstanding family traditions in both cases.

Agreed.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »

Toad youre shooting yourself in the foot her ebecause 99% of white americans are British in their ancsetory, you forget that your nation of constitutional adoration and land of starts and stripes is still a young one.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
I'm sorry, I simply have no idea what point you are attempting to make.

That quote is in reply to Dowding and we've already had our little joust for fun. Dowding and I have been around here so long that we've hashed out most of these topics 1-3 times before. We're down to using shorthand now. :)

This one:  

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:49 PM »
Originally posted by Hazzer
|Laurie,Churchill once talked about a united states of Europe....do you know what prompted him to say that?

If you do,I would love to hear you explain it to me.then we might get somewhere.

All the Best.:)

So you've given up trying to argue your point now?

You think Europe is wonderful but within that poxy little gentle-men's club of Continental crap like pate and Horse meat, you must remember this.

After Britain, the U.S. And Canada freed western Europe and the war was long over. The EU was created.

What happened when Britain applied to join?

The French bastards try to stop us from joining after we freed their country at a cost of thousands of U.S./birtish lives. They dragged their heels deep through the mud to try and stop us.  This why i have no respect, time or care for the Europe or it's indescisive, snobby, Pathetic, continental, thrifty, biased, unjust and utter ****e Union.

The EU is like a kids school play, All thte false parents bundle for a front  seat just to watch what can be only described as utter ****e.

As for the united states of Europe.......

Winston Churchill's call in 1945 for a "United States of Europe," a federation of European states to promote harmonious relations between nations, economic cooperation, and a sense of European identity, has caused him to be regarded as the father of European unity. While in opposition, Churchill argued forcefully at home and abroad that a united Europe was the best means to heal residual hatred from the Second World War. Yet Churchill's rhetoric is sometimes difficult to reconcile with his ambivalence regarding Britain's role in his proposed federation, particularly after he returned to power in October 1951.

What churchill wnated just simply hasn't happened though hazzer, he wanted britain to have a lead role, which it does not. I would be more 'pro EU' if britain was given the respect it deserves.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2007, 03:44:51 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
Toad youre shooting yourself in the foot her ebecause 99% of white americans are British in their ancsetory, you forget that your nation of constitutional adoration and land of starts and stripes is still a young one.

German ancestry dominated America in the early 1800s.  You also have French and British and other minorities from Western Europe.  America was already multinational since its inception.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
I think the UK should Join NAFTA, Throw Mexico out of it and be done with the EU.

We should also make sure the French stop sticking their Refugee camps right next to  the channel Tunnel too.
I agree that the UK does not get the respect it deserves in the EU, The Spanish have done a great Job of decimating the Scottish fishing Industry, What right does the Spanish have to go into UK/ Scottish waters and fish the life out of it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:31:13 PM by Hawco »